Cruising Solo

mandy2012

Mouseketeer
I am interested in doing a solo cruise but I don't know how much fun it will be being alone. Has anyone done a solo cruse? How was it? How was eating at the restaurants? Do you sit with other families? And how about the family game shows? Can a solo person go there and just watch? I would love some other feedback.

Thanks!

I have done two cruises solo: a DCL 14-nt. EBTA and an 11-nt. on Azamara.

It can be as fun as you make it. I like traveling alone because I can decide when to eat, when to sleep, when to read, when to swim, etc. If I want to be alone, I can be. If I want to join an activity, there's no reason not to. You'll have to be a little outgoing and say hi to people, but most people will be friendly and chat with you.

For dinner on the DCL cruise, 6 solo women met on the meet thread for the cruise and tied our dinner times together. That way, I had someone to socialize with in the evenings, but I didn't have to necessarily spend time with them during the day. Sometimes a couple of us would make plans, sometimes not.

I would do another cruise solo in a heartbeat.

While I was with my DW on our last cruise, we barely saw each other except at meals and sleep. I wake up before her and would go hang out at the adult pool and read or chat with others. She hated sitting by the pool so went to craft lessons or the spa or what-have-you.

And at dinner we spent more time talking to the others at the table. don't get me wrong - I absolutely love my DW. But we are comfortable enough to do our own things. (We did spend shore excurtions together, but we were also in a group with our table mates, so I doubt we would have noticed either way).

The good news - they try to seat like people together. At dinner service, you should be with other soloers or couples without kids. So you can make some nice friends.

Point being, I had just as much fun without my DW at my side as I do with her. You'll be fine - and make some new friends along the way (as we did!).

I am interested in doing a solo cruise but I don't know how much fun it will be being alone. Has anyone done a solo cruse? How was it? How was eating at the restaurants? Do you sit with other families? And how about the family game shows? Can a solo person go there and just watch? I would love some other feedback.

Thanks!

I have completed five solo cruises and I have reservations for four more. So, obviously I enjoy cruising solo. I have no problems being social and I have met some great people but sometimes I do enjoy my own space. On my first solo cruise I was assigned to a table with six other adults (all of which where travelling in pairs) for dinner. After that mediocre experience I always asks for my own table and I am comfortable dining alone. Sometimes I have even dinned with people I have met. I typically go to all the shows that interest me incluing some of the couples and family games shows just to watch.
One thing I have experienced is that I always run into someone I have seen on a previous cruises (both passengers and crew) and we usually strike up a conversation about where we saw eachother and automatically I made a new friend. If you have any specific questions about cruising solo please PM me I would be more than happy to answer any specific questions.

I am a single father of a teenager. That pretty much makes me a solo cruiser. I see him for Dinner and that is it. Even at dinner he leaves before desert comes. I ask for large tables or tables with single parents so I am not stuck with couples or a family. I love cruising and stay busy and have fun all the time. The only time I feel out of place is when I go to things that are couple oriented and on those I just excuse myself.

Thanks!

I always travel solo and have a great time! So far, I've done 4 DCL cruises solo and have two more scheduled for this year. There is so much to do on the ship, you shouldn't be bored. I spend my time getting pictures with the characters, catching up on movies, attending tastings, shows, cooking demo, etc.. The sky is really the limit. At dinner, I'm usually seated with other adults. Usually being the only solo person at the table doesn't bother me. I decided long ago that I would have to travel solo if I wanted to do and see the things I was interested in. Don't get me wrong, I've traveled with family and friends before. However, that gets old fast; sometimes you just want to be alone. Have a great time on your cruise. You won't regret it.

I found cruising solo very comfortable on DCL. Check out your cruise board and see if anyone wants to link dining reservations (make sure you do that after everyone has booked their initial excursion reservations, otherwise if someone is in their record it will lock everyone else out of theirs). On my cruise, we had several groups that linked reservations for dining, so you knew you had something in common for sure! :)

I have, and would do so again in a heartbeat. For dinners, I was paired with 3 other pairs (2 of them were mother/son, and one was a married couple). No one had known anyone beforehand

I'm another one who has found out I like cruising solo. A lot. Just did one on another line and loved being able to spend time alone when I wanted, but could join activities when I wanted company. LOVED having my own cabin.

I did participate in the meet thread for the cruise. Met some nice people who I planned some activities with. Left dinner to chance and I ended up with a table of great people. Was so much fun to talk about our days as we didn't see each other except dinner.

I had dinner in the specialty restaurant by myself and it was fine. Small delay as they assumed I was waiting for someone... It was an incredible meal and I am so glad I didn't chicken out eating by myself. I never felt uncomfortable.

I have two more solo DCL cruises booked. One a 14 day TA that I am totally solo, and one 7 nt. where my good friend is going but we each have our own cabin. Yes, we get along very well and could share as we've done before. But we both realize we love the upside of having one's own cabin and space.

While I don't feel the cruise lines really like having solo cruisers - DCL is an easy line in which to sail solo. My first attempt at solo cruising was another line, but other than a few little things had no problem. (and those little things really were silly little things like the small delay at the specialty restaurant) Other cruisers and the crew treated me just fine.

Now there always will be the few who have to come out with the "oh, you poor thing, you don't have anyone to cruise with?" But for the most part, I got "wow, you get your own cabin?!"

I am getting long-winded but I am hoping to give you some feedback. (this means I'm not done yet... :rotfl2:

Granted, there are some people who do not like being alone. I will again say that the good part about being solo is that usually you can find company when you want it. I found even if you are more on the quiet side, people will still chat you up.

One thing I did if I wanted to be out of my cabin but not really be with someone - would be to sit somewhere I could look out a porthole or read a book or something. I often would go to the area outside the dining room that had a small bar. I found that if I were sitting so I mostly was faced toward the porthole, no one bothered me. But if I slanted a bit towards the room people often stopped by to say "hi" or wave.

Best of both worlds! "Me" time when I wanted, company when I wanted it. Met some really nice people.

Wow so much great feedback! This makes my not so nervous anymore. I am definetly on the quiet side and love having my own space. I am glad to hear that I could dine with other adults, instead of families. Thanks guys!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!