cruise without a passport?

dita029

Earning My Ears
We are cruising on the Wonder in October, and I was planning on getting everyone passports but I'm curious to know if it's absolutely necessary. Has anyone ever did a cruise without one? I am more concerned of being stranded in a foreign country... If an emergency occurs.

People do it on closed looped cruises with a government issued ID and birth certificate.

I would not personally choose to do this for the reasons you mentioned. Plus it opens up a world of possibilities. Flying somewhere new? Well, we already have passports!

Of course you should not take your passport off the ship in port, but many people make color copies to have with them just in case of said emergency.

I cruised once with only my birth cert/ID and was nervous about it the whole time (miscalculated the expiration on my passport and didn't get the renewal in time). Plus, I keep waiting for that passport required for cruising rule to pop up suddenly.

We are getting our passports even though we are cruising a closed loop cruise. I want them just to be sure I got everything covered. Plus, we can book another longer cruise without worry. I think the passport is just the best thing to have, it will give me more peace of mind. We aren't even getting off the boat with the exception of cast away cay!

Get the passport. I just came off my first cruise in March without a passport and was also nervous the whole time. I did not enjoy myself on the islands because I was worried about getting back to the boat on time instead of just having fun.

Last year on Magic our grandson traveled with birth certificate only. No issues whatsoever. You will be fine. As far as a color copy of a passport, it is useless, is not a recognized form of ID, must have the actual passport.

You only need the passport, but lets look at the situation that occurred on Grandeur of the Seas. If you had been on that cruise, there would have been a delay in getting home, because you would not have been able to fly home from Freeport after the fire with only a driver's license in birth certificate. The American Consulate could have expedited a passport for you, but it probably would take a day or two. Now this is a rare situation, but it is something that can occur.

A color copy of your passport will help in RETRIEVING your ID, not subbing as a form of it. If you can get to a consulate or embassy it is helpful.

That's all.

We are cruising on the Wonder in October, and I was planning on getting everyone passports but I'm curious to know if it's absolutely necessary. Has anyone ever did a cruise without one? I am more concerned of being stranded in a foreign country... If an emergency occurs.

Clearly you're concerned & as PPs noted they were nervous when sailing, w/o passports. Do your self a favor get the passports & put your concern to rest. ::yes::

I got my daughters passports (their first cruise this year) the other day as a precaution. If something was to happen (knock on wood) I want the ability to hop on a plane and get home. Peace of mind is how I justified the cost..

My nephew is 12. He can not get a passport because his father is not in the picture (a piece of trash) and we would unable to get the "father's" permission, which you need for a minor getting a passport. We leave in August and are planning on using my nephew's birth cert. as his only form of ID. Do we need anything else as far as an ID? I don't even think there is anything else. Will we be ok?

My nephew is 12. He can not get a passport because his father is not in the picture (a piece of trash) and we would unable to get the "father's" permission, which you need for a minor getting a passport. We leave in August and are planning on using my nephew's birth cert. as his only form of ID. Do we need anything else as far as an ID? I don't even think there is anything else. Will we be ok?

We have the same issue with my daughter and her bio mom, whom she has no contact with. My daughter has now sailed twice with only her bc. Just make sure it's a closed loop cruise, and at least one person who is listed on the bc is going on the cruise with the child. I understand all the responses for passports and indeed the rest of us have a passport, but not everyone is in the position to get one until they are an adult due to selfish "parents".

We have the same issue with my daughter and her bio mom, whom she has no contact with. My daughter has now sailed twice with only her bc. Just make sure it's a closed loop cruise, and at least one person who is listed on the bc is going on the cruise with the child. I understand all the responses for passports and indeed the rest of us have a passport, but not everyone is in the position to get one until they are an adult due to selfish "parents".

I don't know your circumstances, but my brother was the 'selfish' parent you refer to. He refused to let his son have a passport because my nephew's mother thought it was just fine to take nephew out of school all the time and my brother has other ideas for going to school. My brother said he would agree to a passport for a specific trip, but she never had the details of a specific trip. She wanted nephew to go to Viet Nam with his grandparent, to Mexico, to Europe with another grandparent, all during the school year. Of course when it was time for him to visit his father, he couldn't miss an hour of school if a flight were more convenient or less expensive. Although they shared custody, withholding the passport was really the only control my brother had to make sure his son didn't just take off whenever the whim came over him (or his mother).

I know other kids with divorced parents and the passports are kept with a court guardian because neither parent trusts the other. They have to apply to the guardian if they want to take the kids out of the country.

If you have sole custody, you don't need the permission of the other parent; you can submit the custody papers. You could also get a court order to allow the issuing of a passport.

Nancy

I don't know your circumstances, but my brother was the 'selfish' parent you refer to. He refused to let his son have a passport because my nephew's mother thought it was just fine to take nephew out of school all the time and my brother has other ideas for going to school. My brother said he would agree to a passport for a specific trip, but she never had the details of a specific trip. She wanted nephew to go to Viet Nam with his grandparent, to Mexico, to Europe with another grandparent, all during the school year. Of course when it was time for him to visit his father, he couldn't miss an hour of school if a flight were more convenient or less expensive. Although they shared custody, withholding the passport was really the only control my brother had to make sure his son didn't just take off whenever the whim came over him (or his mother).

I know other kids with divorced parents and the passports are kept with a court guardian because neither parent trusts the other. They have to apply to the guardian if they want to take the kids out of the country.

If you have sole custody, you don't need the permission of the other parent; you can submit the custody papers. You could also get a court order to allow the issuing of a passport.

Nancy

Nancy,
I'm sorry your brother had to struggle with this issue, his request seems very reasonable. I hope things will work out. Our situation was very different, and permission was withheld out of spite and only upset my daughter. We inquired ways to get her a passport and could not, so we have decided to wait until she is old enough to sign for herself with just one parents signature. Please let your brother know that at 16 with a drivers license you can get a passport with one parents signature, no one has to notify the other parent.
I truly hope no offense was taken because none was intended. Only faith, trust, and pixie dust.

Nancy,
I'm sorry your brother had to struggle with this issue, his request seems very reasonable. I hope things will work out. Our situation was very different, and permission was withheld out of spite and only upset my daughter. We inquired ways to get her a passport and could not, so we have decided to wait until she is old enough to sign for herself with just one parents signature. Please let your brother know that at 16 with a drivers license you can get a passport with one parents signature, no one has to notify the other parent.
I truly hope no offense was taken because none was intended. Only faith, trust, and pixie dust.

My nephew is now 20 and got his own passport at 18 (I think) to go on a cruise with his girlfriend's family. It all worked out. If my nephew would have asked his father for the passport permission directly, with info about the trip, my brother probably would have agreed (although my brother can't stand the grandparents who were offering to take nephew on these trips, so at that point it might have been spite).

Nancy

I am more concerned of being stranded in a foreign country... If an emergency occurs.

Well that's the whole point in getting a passport when one isn't absolutely necessary, isn't it? That's the exact thing the passport does for you when you have it; gets you home quicker, cheaper (expedited fees are rotten), and with less hassle.

Since that's what you're worried about, get the passport.

As far as a color copy of a passport, it is useless, is not a recognized form of ID, must have the actual passport.

Of course, but it gives you the passport number which helps matters if you miss the ship.

I, personally, bring my passport on shore.

As long as no one asks if there is permission to travel from the other parent (if my son were traveling with just me and not DH we would be sure to have a notarized statement from DH stating that DS is allowed to go with me, for instance), he'll be fine with the BC if it's a closed loop cruise that BCs are allowed for. As long as there is no emergency that requires him to fly internationally, of course.

I personally would try for the passport.......

If he's 100% not in the picture, you guys need to move forward with that. You need to get the courts involved and get the mom sole custody.

If you go to the state department's website you can see the flowchart of things you can do to get a passport for a minor, and it gives the options beyond having both parents in agreement.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

STEP 7: Provide Parental Consent

Both parents must provide consent authorizing passport issuance for a minor under age 16. See the scenarios below, and follow the instruction that best applies to your circumstance:

Both Parents MUST:

Appear in person with the minor
Sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent

One Parent MUST:

Submit the second parents' notarized Statement of Consent (Form DS-3053)

One Parent
(with sole legal custody)
MUST:

Submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply for the child with one of the following:
Minor's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent
Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only the applying parent
Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order)
Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent)
Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child
Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent
Death certificate of non-applying parent

NOTE: If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent must submit Form DS-3053 stating why the non-applying parent/guardian's consent cannot be obtained

A Third Party
(in Loco Parentis applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 16)
MUST:

Submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or guardians authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport
When the statement of affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian.

Look at that one in red especially.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter