Cruise to DVC question

Jafar

Earning My Ears
My DW and I are trying to decide on whether we should join DVC this year or not. We are already taking a 4 day cruise on the Wonder in April '01 but were thinking if we joined the DVC, we could use the money from the cruise towards DVC. We have been waiting for someone from DVC to return our calls for 4 days and thought I'd throw this out to the veterans out there. Here is the question, would it be possible to join DVC and then use the points (we would need 330 for Vero Beach) towards our cruise in April '01? We are not sure how many points we would need for the cruise but we are already booked on Deck 2 in a Cat 9 room. We may need to borrow or buy additional points but were more concerned with the initial switching to DVC and then using points for the cruise. We have already paid 1200.00 towards the trip and rest of the payment would make a big dent in the total DVC cost. Is this possible? Has anyone gone through the same situation? Thanks in advance!!!

Actually that is what prompted us to buy into the DVC. We figured we would have paid $ 3000 for the cruise and then another $ 3000 for another week at Disney and we would be more than half way there in paying for our DVC membership and have it for the next 42 years.

We actually had reservations for the cruise on a cash basis, bought into DVC and had the reservation changed to a point reservation. Was able to keep the same dates and everything.

Has it really been 4 days and you haven't gotten a call back from DVC. Very surprising. If you would like the name of our sale guide I'd be happy to share it with you.

you can email me with any additional questions if necessary.

Good luck

Ed

Thank you very much for the info...We called DVC Thursday evening and had to leave a message. We didn't hear back from anyone on Friday. My DW called again Saturday morning and spoke to a young lady who told her that they were very busy and would call us back. Well, we haven't heard back yet and hate to make that call again unless we know a reliable person to ask for. If you wouldn't mind giving us the name of your guide, we'd really appreciate it! Thanks Ed!

ani-mono.gif

Jafar - I have to second Ed's opinion. We were already DVC members when we looking into taking a cruise. We had 210 points and no matter how you banked/borrowed, there was no way that 5 of us could cruise on points alone. To book a Cat4 room for the time that we wanted to cruise, I estimated that it would cost us over $7000. We looked into a resale and for less than twice the amount that it would cost for the cruise, we bought 230 resale points. The best part of the deal was that the seller had not used any of their 1999 points, so by banking/borrowing, we had 690 points at our disposal. And we needed 725 for the cruise. So in our case, we got our 7-night (inaugural) cruise for $75 and we'll have 440 points/year to enjoy until 2042. How could it NOT be a good idea???

We finally had our guide call us back last night. They are having phone troubles and were backed up on their calls. Anyway, it turns out that it is too late to convert our cruise but by using the Magic Beginnings program, we are able to sell back some of our points and drop our cost from $72 per point to $59 per point. We'll be able to add some points now and pay much less than we figured. This will work out great for us! Thanks to Ed Trybulski and Towncrier for your help! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter