Cruise PRO tips - what should we do when we board? (Fantasy 7-day trip)

Imaginette

Mouseketeer
Hey there cruise pros! I know you are passionate about DCL cruising, so I thought I'd ask you for your opinions and some PRO TIPS for two adults w/no kids coming along for a 7-day cruise on the Fantasy.

We can't board until 1pm (which has my DH a little upset, but it is what it is, friends), so I'm thinking we have to plan to board the MCO bus to port sometime between 11:30am and noon... they would put us on the bus, probably, that is best as they don't want everyone, everywhere, all at once (great movie!) trying to get on the ship.

QUESTION - with this set of circumstances, what would YOU recommend that we do when we get to the ship and board?

Some things I have in mind
  • Go get week long pass for the Rainforest room spa pass (heated loungers area)
  • Go ask the excursions desk if there are any openings for something that might have opened up
  • Get on a waitlist for a cabana (hahaha, I know, pipe dream, no worries... lol. My DH loves a hammock, that's the main reason I'm looking at that)
  • Do we get a Palo brunch reservation, and do they even have them on SAT to SUN cruises?
I know I'm missing stuff, like eating lunch somewhere (DH doesn't like eating with the masses b/e of the pandemic, but maybe one of the sit downs has lunch, or we can grab something and eat on deck?) I'm also concerned that he will need to make a work email or call, so I'm considering the wifi, which I know will be pretty terrible and expensive... but if it gives him any comfort, that's the goal.

Thanks for your tips and know that you are awesome and appreciated, I love reading what you put out there in the DIS Universe, thanks!!!
~ Imaginette ~

If you are taking the bus from the MCO, you should have an earlier PAT. Do you have a later flight? Your plan sounds good, but I'd change the order of operations. Spa Passes can wait, they will not sell out. If you want adult dining or tastings, I'd go there first as you have the best chance of success. You can put your name on the cabana list - but manage your expectations. Can you husband use his phone as an internet hot spot? That might be your best bet for getting work done before setting sail. The internet on the ship is good for responding to email, but downloading or emailing documents chews through a lot of data and is super slow. I try to get work done in port when there is free wifi. Pre-scouting restaurants/bars where there is free wifi will help if he needs to work during the cruise. To mitigate contact with others in the dining room, I'd personally put on a good mask, go to the buffet and get some food and take it outside somewhere to eat.

Get on the bus when you get to MCO. PATs work differently for those arriving via DCL transfers. We ate in the sit down option for lunch on embarkation day. It was animators palette for us, and definitely made things more relaxing I think.

If you are taking the bus from the MCO, you should have an earlier PAT. Do you have a later flight? Your plan sounds good, but I'd change the order of operations. Spa Passes can wait, they will not sell out. If you want adult dining or tastings, I'd go there first as you have the best chance of success. You can put your name on the cabana list - but manage your expectations. Can you husband use his phone as an internet hot spot? That might be your best bet for getting work done before setting sail. The internet on the ship is good for responding to email, but downloading or emailing documents chews through a lot of data and is super slow. I try to get work done in port when there is free wifi. Pre-scouting restaurants/bars where there is free wifi will help if he needs to work during the cruise. To mitigate contact with others in the dining room, I'd personally put on a good mask, go to the buffet and get some food and take it outside somewhere to eat.
Thanks @kathi that's all great info!

We are staying in Orlando the week before, and returning the car to the airport at 9am, so I'm just stuck with the "what do we do from 9am until we can get on the boat if we have to wait for the MCO bus to take us to the port, and the 1pm time when we can actually get on the boat?"

I'd move our arrival time if I could, but I apparently missed the early windows, doh!

:magnify::charac2::sail::butterfly

Get on the bus when you get to MCO. PATs work differently for those arriving via DCL transfers. We ate in the sit down option for lunch on embarkation day. It was animators palette for us, and definitely made things more relaxing I think.
First, THANK YOU to you @WDWAurora for the reply, very much appreciated!

Get on the bus when you get to MCO. PATs work differently for those arriving via DCL transfers.
Oh wow, really?!? They made me pick a time from what was available, and tags, etc, are related to that time I thought... but I don't actually know that, lol.

We have the transfers set up by our DREAMS UNLIMITED travel agent (shout out to the lovely Debra Lopez, woot-woo!) who told us to just pick a time, go to the airport, and catch the bus.

I'm hopeful that they will say GET ON THE BUS, you crazy kids, have fun! when we get there, because sitting in the MCO airport isn't a whole lot of fun with a pea sized bladder and tons of Starbucks opportunities all around me :coffee:

We ate in the sit down option for lunch on embarkation day. It was animators palette for us, and definitely made things more relaxing I think.
That - sounds - like - a - winner 8-)

We did Wish a couple of weeks ago. Had a fairly early boarding group (6), and boarded at 12:10. So 1:00 isn't really that late. Nobody is getting on board before noon generally unless you're concierge or in one the first couple of boarding groups. Maybe that will comfort your husband a bit.

The rainforest room is amazing, definitely get a pass if you think you'll use it enough to be worth it. I'm pretty sure on Fantasy you can still get single day passes. We find on port days after exploring there's not much time for it unless you're skipping the evening show and/or MDR dinner.

Lunch you can do a sit down or grab basic pool deck food. pizza, hamburgers, etc.

Find out before you board where you need to go to try and book Palo brunch. Sometimes it's Palo itself, sometimes one of the lounges or something. Highly recommended if you can get it! We've been able to get it by booking as soon as we got on board, and also by getting on the waitlist. People cancel all the time.

Yeah you can forget a cabana. Get on the wait list if you want but I wouldn't bother personally. BUT, there are hammocks at Serenity Bay, the adult beach. I love a nice hammock and I've always been able to find one empty. Hope this helps and Have a great cruise!

If you can get on early enough, I recommend doing the sit-down lunch. It is so much more relaxing than cabanas, and you'll get another chance at Cabanas another day.

We did Wish a couple of weeks ago. Had a fairly early boarding group (6), and boarded at 12:10. So 1:00 isn't really that late. Nobody is getting on board before noon generally unless you're concierge or in one the first couple of boarding groups. Maybe that will comfort your husband a bit.

That's great news, thanks @BamaGuy44 !!!

I'm going to look into the brunch. He may not appreciate dressing up, but I believe he will appreciate the meal :-D

The rainforest room is amazing, definitely get a pass if you think you'll use it enough to be worth it. I'm pretty sure on Fantasy you can still get single day passes.
Can anyone confirm that you can still get single day passes to the rainforest room on the Fantasy? And where do you go to get these, Sense or Guest Services?

Thanks!

Can anyone confirm that you can still get single day passes to the rainforest room on the Fantasy? And where do you go to get these, Sense or Guest Services?

Hey Jon!

That's a top priority for us too, and the reason we moved our 2023 sailing to October because it's back on as an option. YES, you can book single day passes to the rainforest room on the Fantasy via the Sense Spa desk. We can't wait to get back onto the heated loungers, so excited... is it October 22nd yet?!? :flower1::flower:

Hey Jon!

That's a top priority for us too, and the reason we moved our 2023 sailing to October because it's back on as an option. YES, you can book single day passes to the rainforest room on the Fantasy via the Sense Spa desk. We can't wait to get back onto the heated loungers, so excited... is it October 22nd yet?!? :flower1::flower:
Thanks so much for the info. Our first cruise is in less than two weeks, and we are so excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter