Cruise is now cheaper - can I get credit?

sammydent

Mouseketeer
We have a 7 day Eastern Carribean booked for October 2009 through DU. Prices on the DCL website are now about $400 less that what we are currently paying. Is it possible to get a credit/refund?

Also, we booked travel insurance through Disney. I saw that we can get it considerably cheaper elsewhere. Can this be cancelled and purchased elsewhere after the fact? We booked in September 2008.

If the cruise price is lower now, you will need to have your TA call DCL and get the lower price for you. If you are farther than 90 days from your cruise, you can cancel the DCL insurance without penalty. You are fine with an October cruise--again, since you used a TA, they will need to handle this for you.

Hint-- if you have a printer available, print out the lower quote. That way, if it goes up before Monday, you have proof. Secondly, if the lower rate is due to the cancellation or the fuel surcharge, that money will be applied to your onboard account. If it is a true price reduction, you can get the cash back (if paid in full) or lower the amount owed.

If you are farther than 90 days from your cruise, you can cancel the DCL insurance without penalty.

Unless you pay for your cruise in full. Once you pay for your cruise in full, you cannot cancel DCL insurance even if you are more than 90 days from your cruise. (Happened to me personally.) :(

Unless you pay for your cruise in full. Once you pay for your cruise in full, you cannot cancel DCL insurance even if you are more than 90 days from your cruise. (Happened to me personally.) :(

The CM you spoke to was wrong then. This was posted recently and we told the person to call back. They did and were able to cancel the insurance even through they had paid in full early. The reason for this is because DCL doesn't actually purchase the policy until the 75 day mark.

The CM you spoke to was wrong then. This was posted recently and we told the person to call back. They did and were able to cancel the insurance even through they had paid in full early. The reason for this is because DCL doesn't actually purchase the policy until the 75 day mark.

Argh! I hate it when I get the wrong info from a CM! This is the second time I called and a CM gave me wrong info. Thanks for straightening it out.

It is a shame that you have to call 3 times to see which answer is repeated. :( You only have until 10 days after that date to cancel it I believe.

What Lisa said (that they don't purchase the insurance until the penalty period starts) agrees with what I had always been told. I wasn't going to dispute a person who said she had personal experience to the contrary....but this is exactly the reason that DCL insurance doesn't cover pre-existing conditions. There is NO insurance until the penalty period starts--DCL hasn't purchased it. That is good from the standpoint that you can cancel your cruise or change your dates and get ALL your money back (not all except insurance). However, it is a negative if you and/or family members have pre-existing issues.

Since you could still cancel your cruise despite having paid in full, I believe they still hold to their policy of not purchasing the insurance until the penalty period whether or not you have paid in full.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter