Cruise for 20 year olds/night life?

disneyfanbecky

Mouseketeer
Hi!

I am going with some friends to Disney World for our college graduation. We were planning to stay 7 nights at AKL but now we are thinking about staying at a value hotel for 4 nights instead and doing a 3 night cruise on the new ship. I did Disney cruises years ago and loved them, but I was a kid at the time! I was wondering what the cruises are like in terms of a young-mid twenties crowd and how would the nightlife be for that age group? Also, any opinions on whether we should do a cruise as well as WDW or just stick to the original plan?

TIA! :)

Since there will be a group of you, you'll be able to make your own fun. It ca get a little sparse for a 20 something cruising with family. The old "college club" morphed into the 18-21 group, leaving not much for those a bit older. Of course all the adult venues are available for your use.

Short stays at the parks cost a small fortune in ticket prices (they get a lot lower after the first 3 days). Look at longer cruises.......

There's not a ton of night life on DCL set, but there's certainly more than you'll find at AKL (or the scaled down Downtown Disney). On the ship you'll also have an adults only pool which are thin on the ground at the resorts.

I just turned 30 and started cruising with Disney in my mid 20's. I can honestly say I was never bored! Even on the days at sea there is always enough to do. There are the clubs and bars, for those who can drink, adult only areas, shows, the adult entertainment at night is amazing. I don't think you'll regret going on the cruise.

I also think your experience/expectations will vary depending on where you are from. If you're in school in Manhattan or Boston, for instance, the night life on the ships will seem very tame (maybe even lame). If you're from a rural area then DCL's offerings may be new for you and more appealing. On my two pre-kid cruises there was no night life to speak of - NO ONE was in the dance club area and the adult shows were geared toward a forty plus crowd. That may very well have changed since my last cruise a few years ago.

If all of you are Disney fans, you'll have a blast on the cruise. As was previously mentioned, there is a lot more night life on the ship than at Disney World. Once they gutted Pleasure Island in favor of more unnecessary family shopping, the party atmosphere left the resort. The Dream seemed pretty active in the adult clubs at night, with a lot of dancing and entertainment. I loved it and I'm turning 30 in February. I'm going again with all my friends next month, and the youngest of us will be 28.

I would stay at a value resort and then do a 4 night. 3 night cruises are too short and rushed.

Even if no one is on the dance floor at the night clubs there are 9 of you... GET the PARTY STARTED. Disney is great especially if you don't care for gambling and smoking. If your want more of a party experience probably carnival would be your best bet.
I think with 9 of you though you will have a blast no matter were you end up. There's something for everyone at Disney.

It's all up to u how much fun u will have! Like others said, you have a big group, get out in the dance floor and others will follow, I'm in 30s and love disney and had a blast. Every night there is music in adult only area and some games too. I vote cruise!

Thanks for all the advice and input!! It is definitely helpful! :)

We don't have a big group (I didn't mean to give that impression! whoops!) - it is me and 3 other people. Disney is an expensive trip so it's too hard to get a big group together!

We are coming from SF so we are definitely used to a young crowd when we go out/lots of options, but maybe we will just change our expectations of this trip. I did a Carnival cruise before and hated it - I like drinking & dancing, but not gambling/smoking.

lorenni mentioned that there was no one in the dance clubs when she went, has anyone else had the same experience?

Also, is 3 nights really too short? I hate to think of only doing 3 nights at WDW instead and I don't think we can take more than a week off work unfortunately!

We don't have a big group (I didn't mean to give that impression! whoops!) - it is me and 3 other people. Disney is an expensive trip so it's too hard to get a big group together!

We are coming from SF so we are definitely used to a young crowd when we go out/lots of options, but maybe we will just change our expectations of this trip. I did a Carnival cruise before and hated it - I like drinking & dancing, but not gambling/smoking.

lorenni mentioned that there was no one in the dance clubs when she went, has anyone else had the same experience?

Also, is 3 nights really too short? I hate to think of only doing 3 nights at WDW instead and I don't think we can take more than a week off work unfortunately!

IMO, a 3 night cruise is way too short. You're really only onboard from about 12 on the first day, 2 full days at sea, and disembarking by 9:00 on the last day. Not a lot of time to do anything. If you have to go for a short cruise, I'd say do the 4 night, at least that way you have an extra day onboard.

:cutie:

OP, you mentioned you like drinking...just an FYI that DCL drinking age is 21 no matter where the ship sails so you won't be able to drink onboard. DCL strongly enforces the no drinking under 21 rule.

You can legally drink in the Bahamas at 18 but not on the ship.

MJ

I'm 20 and went on a cruise this past March with my mom and had an amazing time! I'm sure you'd have a good time with your friends!

disneyfanbecky said:

I don't know where I came up with 9 people but even with a small group you will have fun. If you stick to your original plan.. There's plenty to do with Epcot, pleasure island, DTD, HWS, you can rent a car for the day and visit clear water, you will love AKL. I just stayed there this past Nov.

I want to go back for my 30th! Good luck!!

Unless your ALL fans of the Fab 5 and love Disney stories for the shows onboard, I would skip DCL and spend your money with 2 nights at DLR and take maybe a Royal Carribean cruise?

OP, you mentioned you like drinking...just an FYI that DCL drinking age is 21 no matter where the ship sails so you won't be able to drink onboard. DCL strongly enforces the no drinking under 21 rule.

You can legally drink in the Bahamas at 18 but not on the ship.

MJ

Thanks! We are all going to be between 22-24 though, so that won't be an issue! :goodvibes

Thanks everyone for all the input!! I will talk to my friends and see what they think! This is a tough decision, but hey we are choosing between two amazing options!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter