Cruise Coffee

twitterpated31

Mouseketeer
Greetings!!

I enjoy a good slushy drink but my true love is coffee. I'll be travelling with a few other coffee buffs.

I expect to visit the specialty coffee shop daily but I'm wondering about room service coffee for mornings...

Is it decent? Is there real cream (or just coffee mate). I'm trying to decide if I need to bring my own and a French press.

Any other coffee lovers? What can I expect?

We are big time coffee drinkers, just regular coffee, nothing special, mine with cream, spouse likes his black. However, we found the coffee on the ship, room service and dining room horrible, nasty tasting, as bad as, if not worst than the coffee at Disney resorts. We ended up visiting the Cove daily to buy a morning cup of Cafe Latte and then just did without the rest of the day. I have heard there is 1/2n1/2 on the ships but I did not find it. Maybe I was looking in the wrong area.

Lol!!
I was afraid of that.

I'm not too worried. As long as I can get hot water sent to the room (I'm assuming kettles aren't allowed) then we can make our own with our French press.

How are the prices for lattes?

We are big time coffee drinkers, just regular coffee, nothing special, mine with cream, spouse likes his black. However, we found the coffee on the ship, room service and dining room horrible, nasty tasting, as bad as, if not worst than the coffee at Disney resorts. We ended up visiting the Cove daily to buy a morning cup of Cafe Latte and then just did without the rest of the day. I have heard there is 1/2n1/2 on the ships but I did not find it. Maybe I was looking in the wrong area.

Yes, the coffee is surprisingly awful. Lol The half and half is at the beverage station for some reason, but there's only coffeemate tubs on buffet, no half amd half dispenser. We also used whole milk from buffet for coffee.

Lol!!
I was afraid of that.

I'm not too worried. As long as I can get hot water sent to the room (I'm assuming kettles aren't allowed) then we can make our own with our French press.

The coffee onboard (dining rooms/drink station) is Joffery's. Used to be Nescafe. I don't drink coffee, but most people seem to feel both are awful.
fantasy 2014 poolside coffee 20040 P1030182 1500.jpg

Next to the coffee dispenser at the drink station are two big dispensers. One has milk, the other creamer. Sorry, not branded.
fantasy 2014 poolside coffee 20039 P1030181 1500.jpg

This is an old picture of the drink station on the Wonder, the creamer dispenser does say half & half, but don't know if that's still true:
wonder 2012 coffee 15042a 100_6840 Stitch 1500.jpg

The coffee onboard (dining rooms/drink station) is Joffery's. Used to be Nescafe. I don't drink coffee, but most people seem to feel both are awful.

I find Joffrey's is drinkable. I don't know what Nescafe is, but coffee it isn't. I couldn't even drink a single little mug of it at breakfast. The Joffrey's I can have a couple of cups. But the best is definitely Cove Cafe.

The problem with the coffee in the MDR in particular is that all the servers are pulling it at about the same time, so the mix isn't really ever able to set correctly.

The exact same coffee is served in Palo (coffee...not the specialty drinks). But the servers are not pulling it all at once, so the mix is able to remain steady.

Our server in Palo let us in on that information this past cruise when my dad commented how good the coffee was in Palo (he did NOT say "as compared to the other coffee").

But when was this that you last experienced it? I've read in many posts that sometime in the last year I think, they changed and it's different. I don't know that I could call myself a coffee buff but I definitely do not like the Maxwell house's of the world. I usually prefer Starbucks and I thought the coffee was fine. Not great, but I could drink it, whereas if it was the other stuff, no way. So much so that I never even tried a coffee from Cove, but from what I hear, it's very good there.

Lol!!
I was afraid of that.

The prices are not too bad. (See link below.) We tried a French press but in our case, the water they delivered was not hot enough. Maybe if we had walked up to the drink bar we could have gotten hotter water. Certainly worth a try.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/cove-cafe-menu/

But when was this that you last experienced it? I've read in many posts that sometime in the last year I think, they changed and it's different. I don't know that I could call myself a coffee buff but I definitely do not like the Maxwell house's of the world. I usually prefer Starbucks and I thought the coffee was fine. Not great, but I could drink it, whereas if it was the other stuff, no way. So much so that I never even tried a coffee from Cove, but from what I hear, it's very good there.

Perhaps they have changed it. The last time I tried it was June 2015. We drink Starbucks at home but can also drink Folgers like coffee. Life you, I definitely do not like the Maxwell house brand. We have been thinking about buying an AeroPress but hate to keep adding to the luggage space, especially if we do not know if it will work well for cruising.

When I wanted a good coffee I went to the Cove. It was very good there. The one in the MDR was ok but not great.

I am not at all a coffee snob, I'm perfectly happy with folders or kirkland from costco. The coffee on the cruise is nearly undrinkable. TERRIBLE. Such a high end cruise line where almost everything feels like a luxury and they cut corners on coffee. This was Nescafe, so maybe it's better now. I'm also considering bringing a french press next time.

I am not at all a coffee snob, I'm perfectly happy with folders or kirkland from costco. The coffee on the cruise is nearly undrinkable. TERRIBLE. Such a high end cruise line where almost everything feels like a luxury and they cut corners on coffee. This was Nescafe, so maybe it's better now. I'm also considering bringing a french press next time.

These are my.husband's and my sentiments EXACTLY. We have said these exact words. My husband did want to bring his French Press but what a pain to clean. Here's hoping Joffery's is better!

My palate seems to differ greatly from others. I find Starbucks to be undrinkable swill ;) and have always found the coffee on board to be completely adequate :) But that is just me. Hope you get what you are looking for :)

The prices aren't terrible. Definitely not the price of Starbucks and from what I recall from my last cruise, better than Starbucks too. My sweetie is a lawyer so he's used to drinking his coffee horrible and black :D

I don't know about the Nescafé as I've only been on DCL once, but the Joffrey's coffee is terrible.

I can drink instant, I've drank the sludge gas stations used to carry and survived whatever the heck they serve at Coffee Time here in Toronto. I tapped out after a day of trying to drink Joffrey's. I used my stash of Starbucks Via instead.

Just a word of warning about the Cove Cafe: neither me, my sister nor my boyfriend think that the Cove Cafe produces a good coffee. They have espresso based drinks, but the espresso is not good at all. So, the end result ist not good either. I am not sure why it is so popular here as we have had the same issue over multiple cruises now. I think they use Illy which is a good product, they have the fancy machines. But the end result has always been disappointing. Obviously others love what the Cove serves and I don't think they are people with no idea about what good coffee should be like. So, hopefully you will like it. I just wanted to warn you that the Cove is not universally liked.

Perhaps they have changed it. The last time I tried it was June 2015. We drink Starbucks at home but can also drink Folgers like coffee. Life you, I definitely do not like the Maxwell house brand. We have been thinking about buying an AeroPress but hate to keep adding to the luggage space, especially if we do not know if it will work well for cruising.

They've definitely changed it since then. I can't drink that Nescafe stuff not Folgers, Maxwell House, etc., so I think you will find the present day coffee much improved. And if it's not good enough you can always get good coffee at Cove.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!