Cruise birthday question

JackieO

Mouseketeer
This cruise was a gift for my sons 17th birthday. (We took DD and friends to WDW for her 16th and DS felt a little slighted on his 16th) I said we were celebrating his birthday when I bought the cruise online. Will anything be done for him or do I need to say something else to someone on board? Tell guess services or our waiter??? I want to make it special (not that a Disney cruise for your birthday isn't special enough!!!)

He will probably get a celebration pin and a basic "Happy Birthday" dessert. Anything more, you're gonna have to cough up some $$$ for.

We went on a cruise for my sons birthday a few years ago, on another line, and we ordered the Happy Birthday decorations. They were pricey but when he walked and saw it decorated for him he had a huge smile. Those memories are now priceless for me. We kept them up the entire cruise. He was 10 at the time, but I think anyone would feel good seeing something special was done just for them.

When DD celebrated her bday on the ship I brought a happy birthday banner to string up outside the door [used paperclips to stick string with ceiling tiles -- easy to place and remove and put against the wall. You can make up special door magnets for him also. If you can get to the room the first day before the rest of the family, you can put whatever you want in place.

When DD celebrated her bday on the ship I brought a happy birthday banner to string up outside the door [used paperclips to stick string with ceiling tiles -- easy to place and remove and put against the wall. You can make up special door magnets for him also. If you can get to the room the first day before the rest of the family, you can put whatever you want in place.

We have cruised on or right around my son's birthday each time we have cruised, and decorating the room myself is what I do too. I hit the dollar store before we go and get Mickey birthday mylar balloons, banners, all sorts of other fun birthday decorations. Then I get either magnet strips or spots, the kind with adhesive on one side, and use that to put everything up. Works great since pretty much every surface from door to walls to ceiling is metal (at least on the Magic.) DS will be turning 17 this upcoming cruise next month, and he still loves seeing the room all decked out for his birthday. :goodvibes

I was going to pack a bunting banner (the shabby chic, pinterest cute) style for my mom, hanging across the room, thought that would be cute.

Don't be shy about it being his birthday. When we cruised on my (cough)0th birthday, our room steward and our servers knew. We didn't announce it every second, but when we talked with them, we didn't hide it, either. You know what I mean? Well, on the day of, all sorts of little wonderful things happened that just made my day that much more special.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams said:
Don't be shy about it being his birthday. When we cruised on my (cough)0th birthday, our room steward and our servers knew. We didn't announce it every second, but when we talked with them, we didn't hide it, either. You know what I mean? Well, on the day of, all sorts of little wonderful things happened that just made my day that much more special.

- Dreams

THIS. I think the whole ship knew it was DD's birthday, just from her talking about it. The Shutters folks gave her free character prints, one of the CMs in Mickey's Mates gave her a Magical Memories certificate COVERED in glitter stars and comets... our serving team not only brought her dessert but made the whole week a birthday celebration. I made sure every single person who went out of their way got noted in our comment card.

We ordered the DCL decorations, and it was great to not have to decorate the room myself, but at the time they came with a cake and they don't anymore. So I won't be ordering the Bon Voyage decorations for my in-laws.

I decorated DD's door on the big day. I was a better idea than I'd appreciated because all the little princesses on the ship were asking her if she was the birthday girl, etc. This was on her 13th...and the door attracted the attention of lots of the 6-10 year old guests.

As above, get the "It's my Birthday" button from GS in advance--don't wait till that night at the dinner table. He'll get attention all day. The birthday dessert is nothing to write home about, but it is OK.

Um...if he's into characters, there will be some really fun interactions. Prince Charming might even get jealous.:rotfl:

DS turned 5 on our last cruise. We brought some decorations from the dollar store to decorate the room. We did it whe DS was sleeping so he woke up to them. Our steward made him a huge 'cake' out of towels for him and our waiters made a big fuss over him at dinner. It was funny that it was the only night he fell asleep at the table and he missed his cake.

We also brought beach toys from the dollar store as his present since his birthday was a Castaway Cay day. He was thrilled by the whole experiance.

eta - We did the fish extender and a couple of people gave him a little extra for his birthday which we thought was so kind.

aanderson5 said:
eta - We did the fish extender and a couple of people gave him a little extra for his birthday which we thought was so kind.

I concur with noting the birthday on the FE list. Our group last cruise was so thoughtful. I even mentioned just once on the thread that I would be pregnant at sailing and one crafty person made DS a Baby Mickey onesie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter