Crowds at DL on Friday, September 29?

GoofyBaby

Music teacher and Disney...
I've heard that September weekdays are a decent time to go since most kids are back in school, but I was wondering specifically about Fridays. Can anyone give me an idea of the crowds? We plan on opening and closing the park since we only have one day (we've done it before and yes it's exhausting but worth it to us). . .

Thank you!

Taking kids out of school to go to Disneyland is considered an unexcused absense and is frowned upon - so local kids that are in school are not usually pulled to spend a day with the mouse. On weekdays during the school year you will get: adults who don't have to work that day, local kids who are on a school break, and tourests. September crowds are far less than summer.

I believe that is the day Haunted Mansion Holiday opens, not sure how much of an effect that will have on crowds....

Its one of the last days of the 50th event, and a Friday. I could be busy!

hlbtimes2 said:
Its one of the last days of the 50th event, and a Friday. I could be busy!
I agree. This is the last weekend of the 50th. Plus Haunted Mansion Holiday will just be reopening. If you go, get there early and get a lot done in the morning. I bet Friday night especially will be way crowded with AP locals.

Typically we have experienced fewer crowds on Friday's in both September and October than on Monday's (we frequently do a Thursday night to Tuesday morning trip to DL). However, I agree with others, the HM holiday install opening and that being the last weekend of the 50th could change typical dynamics. Still, I am betting that the locals will arrive in droves that evening, making that day, especially the morning a good bet. Just arrive 30 minutes prior to park opening and you'll be fine. Have a great day at Disneyland!

The other weird thing that day is that the 28th is when all the people who won a disneyland trip through the pirates promotion will be there for the 50,000 dollar draw; so that's going to add some extra bodies as well.

Yes, I was going to mention the Pirates treasure hunt promo. It's Thursday evening after the park closes, but contest winners will be coming from around the country, so I imagine they'll bring their family and at least make a long weekend of it. That could make Friday - Saturday busier than normal.

GoofyBaby said:
I've heard that September weekdays are a decent time to go since most kids are back in school, but I was wondering specifically about Fridays. Can anyone give me an idea of the crowds? We plan on opening and closing the park since we only have one day (we've done it before and yes it's exhausting but worth it to us). . .

Thank you!

I will be there 28th 29th too. Had I known about the POTC thing I may not have made my plans for that. We'll see.

gotta collect them fast passes...........

If you haven't made your reservations yet, you may want to really reconsider going this weekend. Like everyone said, between the opening of the Haunted Mansion holliday and the POTC Quest for Gold competition, crowds are going to be higher than average for Sept. I've said this in other threads, but the Quest for Gold competition could add 5000-6000 people on the 28th alone, and many of those are going to be there for more than one day.

Just be prepared for that. If you must go on the 29th, get there early and use fastpasses.

MadeToLove said:
If you haven't made your reservations yet, you may want to really reconsider going this weekend. Like everyone said, between the opening of the Haunted Mansion holliday and the POTC Quest for Gold competition, crowds are going to be higher than average for Sept. I've said this in other threads, but the Quest for Gold competition could add 5000-6000 people on the 28th alone, and many of those are going to be there for more than one day.

Just be prepared for that. If you must go on the 29th, get there early and use fastpasses.

There is no way pending disasters that plans can change. Plane tickets have been bought, and a rental car paid for through hotwire. It IS still a school day and a work day. Even with and extra 5-6k extra people (assuming this is accurate) the park IS BIG. I can always escape to DCA on Friday, which i want to see anyway if things get ugly.

Leofoenget said:
There is no way pending disasters that plans can change. Plane tickets have been bought, and a rental car paid for through hotwire. It IS still a school day and a work day. Even with and extra 5-6k extra people (assuming this is accurate) the park IS BIG. I can always escape to DCA on Friday, which i want to see anyway if things get ugly.

Same here. I am going with my best friend and we're tying the visit in with one of his business trips. so the only day we can go is the 29th. We plan on getting there at least 1/2 hour, but probably 1 hour early and using FP. We'll just make the best of it and I think we'll be okay. . .I just want to be at Disneyland! :goodvibes

Thank for your replies!

I'm kind of hoping the recent airport security changes and the giveaway will scare away as many people as the giveaway will attract. That and I would put money on that not everyone who wins will be available to go that weekend and may have to go on a different date; even if it means missing the big draw. Probably wishful thinking but who knows lol.

GoofyBaby said:
We plan on getting there at least 1/2 hour, but probably 1 hour early and using FP.
I am curious to what others experience is with this, but when we went a couple weeks ago we were on a day trip and had to drive 40 miles thru weekday morning traffic. We were shooting for 30 minutes early and actually made good time and arrived 50 minutes early. They held everyone at the security area and did not let anyone thru to the gates until 30 minutes prior to park opening.

However, there was no Early Entry that day. On Sept 29 (a Friday) there will be, so I suspect if you arrive 60 minutes early that will be right when they are letting all the Early Entry people in - and there will be a lot of people in those lines. So it may be confusing which line to get in. I would plan to check with a CM as soon as you get there so you do not get in the wrong line.

I'm kind of wondering if they scheduled it on a Thursday night to KEEP people from going. Think about it, how many people can take a day off in the middle of Sept right after school starts? I'm sure it's not an issue for some but if Jeff didnt' have this odd day off that day, we wouldn't be going to Disneyland 1 month after the start of school. Plus jsut because they gave away 4 free tickets to each winner, does not mean they HAVE to be used THAT DAY. I bet many will save the free day for Christmas Vacation! (least i'm HOPING)

HydroGuy said:
I am curious to what others experience is with this, but when we went a couple weeks ago we were on a day trip and had to drive 40 miles thru weekday morning traffic. We were shooting for 30 minutes early and actually made good time and arrived 50 minutes early. They held everyone at the security area and did not let anyone thru to the gates until 30 minutes prior to park opening.

However, there was no Early Entry that day. On Sept 29 (a Friday) there will be, so I suspect if you arrive 60 minutes early that will be right when they are letting all the Early Entry people in - and there will be a lot of people in those lines. So it may be confusing which line to get in. I would plan to check with a CM as soon as you get there so you do not get in the wrong line.

Thanks HyrdoGuy - that's a great point. I will be sure that we ask which line to be in. :thumbsup2

In the disney book I have it says that the week after labor day to columbus day is one of the least crowded times to go. Now with all the information you all are saying I am not sure if I should make our plans for that time. I was really hoping to go then because dh's bday is the first and we were hoping on spending his bday there. Not sure what we should do now. No plans have been made yet.

Thanks
Michele :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter