Credit/Debit/Cash Deposit for Sunroute Hotel

danceintherain

DIS Veteran
We're currently booked at the Sunroute Plaza Tokyo (Bay) here for a stay at the end of June. I am, of course, very impressed with the cancellation policy, but I'm trying to work out the logistics for the actual stay there.

Neither my husband nor I have a credit card. It has come up several times that it would be good to have one, but we haven't gotten to the point where we've actually gotten one. We haven't really had a need for one, especially since we've been living overseas. We've found ways around it in most cases. I realize that Japan is predominately cash based as is evident in the Sunroute not even requiring credit card information to book a reservation. I am aware that at some point they'll want a way to charge us for incidentals.

The website states credit card or cash deposit. How exactly does this work with cash? Will our balance be paid on arrival then we put a cash deposit down which will then be refunded at the end of our stay or will we be able to apply that cash amount to our balance upon checking out?

Basically, I'm worried about handing over cash at the beginning of our stay, then being stuck with hundreds of dollars worth of yen at the end when it is returned to us. Also, I don't want to hand over my debit card for incidentals then have to work out any issues internationally later on if for some reason things don't get refunded properly.
We are going to attempt to get a credit card before we leave, but I'm not sure that it will go through quickly enough. We have to apply for one to be sent to us in South Korea from the States. Normally this would only take around a week, but sometimes things take longer.

I just want to make sure that we're informed about our options, so we know what to expect.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I always figured they used it like a security bond, so it's not given back to you as you check out, it's given back after they've cleaned the room and confirmed that you haven't thrown chairs out of the windows or stolen the TV :laughing:

Or you know, more basic things like to make sure you don't owe for anything in the mini bar, or haven't nicked the towels. :rolleyes2

So it might be more likely that they'll credit the deposit back into your bank account after everything has been finalised. So hopefully you won't be given JPY as cash, just as you're about to leave the country... :confused3

Alternatively - does your bank offer (what we call) a debit credit card? Which works the same way as a credit card, but instead of wracking up debt you just access the money in your account?

Yes, that's what we have, a debit credit card. I wasn't aware that they still offer debit cards without credit card logos. I just don't want to go through the hassle of trying to get the money refunded internationally. Chances are everything will work out fine and I suppose it wouldn't matter anyways, because either way they'll put a hold on money. We have enough of a safety net financially that it shouldn't be an immediate problem, but I just like to know how things are going to work out.
I tend to over worry about things.

you can always wire the deposit. Wire transfers are very popular in Japan. I have wired to Japan institutes from the states, and also made transfers from Japan to the States. Very easy to do at any bank. You can also check with your hotel if they take US travelers cheques. Our hotel did and that is how we settled our bill at the end of our stay. They will calculate the yen to dollar difference for you. The dollar to yen is at 78 now, that is not such a great exchange rate.

I shouldn't have a problem paying off the bill at the end of the stay. I'm concerned about any holds they may put on my debit card that may be difficult to get released once I leave the country. It probably won't be a problem, but I'm super paranoid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter