Credit card validation for kids to play??

Status
Not open for further replies.

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
DD12 wants to play, but I received an email that looks like it's from disneyland.com. They want me to give a credit card validation in order for her to play. :confused:

Did this happen to anyone else when their kids signed up for VMK?

TIA!

It's a free game, I would not send them any credit card info.

I would be very curious to see that email and I would NOT give them credit card info

Any email that askes for a credit card is SPAM!! They are fishing for your info. Dont do it!!

That's what I was afraid of. I didn't give them the credit card info. I think I'll forward the email onto Disney so they can look into it.

Here's the text of the email:

Dear Parent or Guardian of kaley,

Your child has just registered at Disneyland.com. He or she now has access to the Walt Disney Internet Group (WDIG) family of sites including Disney.com, FamilyFun.com, ESPN.com, ABC.com, ABCNEWS.com and Movies.com.

We at Disneyland.com are committed to strong Internet privacy protections. That's why no personally identifiable information collected from guests under 13 years of age is used for any marketing or promotional purposes whatsoever, either inside or outside Disneyland.com and our other sites.

In addition, to help parents protect their children online we take the following steps:

1. We have a comprehensive privacy policy regarding kids that we encourage you to read. It is located at the end of this letter.
Our privacy policy describes how we collect, use and secure personally identifiable information collected online from kids.
It also describes how parents can review the personally identifiable information we have collected.

2. We allow kids to surf our site, look at content and play some games without giving us any personally identifiable information.

3. We notify parents when a child has given us personally identifiable information - that's why you received this letter.

4. We require parents to give express permission before we will allow their children to use e-mail, message boards, free Fantasy Games and other features where personally identifiable information can be made public to the Internet and shared with users of all ages. Click here to complete the process to give your child access to interactive features.
http://ts.go.com/bk?bs=1&bj=8326020&bu=250398603&bt=43493239

5. When kids sign up to play some games and contests we ask them to register with us. We also ask kids to register to use pre-moderated message boards so that they will have a unique user identity. However, all content is screened on these boards before it's posted so that no personally identifiable information will be disclosed. Once your child has registered, they will be allowed to use future pre-moderated boards and enter any future registration-based games and contests or and we won't notify you again.
To register, they provide the first name, their age, their parent's e-mail address and they create a member name and password. The reason we collect an e-mail address is to notify parents when a child has won. We don't use this information for any other purpose. We give parents 48 hours to say no to this registration. If we don't hear back from you, we'll assume it's okay for your child to be registered with us. Click here if you don't want your child to be registered.
http://ts.go.com/bk?bs=1&bj=8326020&bu=250398603&bt=43493249

6. We let parents request at any time that their child's personally identifiable information -- including information collected during registration -- be deleted from our database. Click here to delete your child's account.
http://ts.go.com/bk?bs=1&bj=8326020&bu=250398603&bt=43493249

Again, welcome to Disneyland.com!

Sincerely,

Margaret Davis
Disneyland.com Guest Services

Options for further assistance:

* Send an email with your questions or comments to memberservices@disneyland.twdc.com

* Write us at: Member Services
Walt Disney Internet Group
PO Box 5999
Beaverton, Oregon 97006-0999

Privacy Policy for Children Under 13:
http://disney.go.com/corporate/legal/kids_privacy.html

Access to the Personally Identifiable Information Collected:

1. If you decided to give you child access to interactive features as outlined above in #4, then you already have a family account. You can review your child's personally identifiable information by logging in to your family account at the Member Services home page:

http://register.go.com/go/memberservices/home

This will allow access to your account as well as all your family member accounts.

2. If you are not already a member of any of the WDIG sites, you can review your child's personally identifiable information by logging in to your child's account at the Member Services Home Page.
You will need to have your child's member name and password. There are instructions on the page to help you recover your child's password if they've forgotten it.

http://register.go.com/go/memberservices/home

3. You can also contact Customer Service to view the information that has been collected from or about your child by sending an e-mail
to memberservices@disneyland.twdc.com. If you have not yet established a
family account, you will need to have your child's member name and password.
Please include information (child's member name, parent email address) in the email that will help us identify your child's account so we can assist you with your inquiry or request.

Questions and Concerns:
For further assistance, please send an email with your questions or comments to memberservices@disneyland.twdc.com.

Wow, the link looks valid. I got the same e-mail, but never bothered to read it in detail and my daughter is on and playing with no verification on my part.

I don't see where it asking for a credit card validation, am I missing something?

Any email that askes for a credit card is SPAM!! They are fishing for your info. Dont do it!!

OMGoodness this is not spam or phising Disney has been doing this for years....if you are uncomfortable giving them credit card info call the 800 number they provide when you click on the link.

I have never given them cc info and it is not a problem.

Mal

beleive me they are from Disney.
But like I said before you do not have to give CC info they have other ways to give your permission.

They ask for CC info because how may children do you know that has a cc and they are trying to make sure that the email the child gave is really the parents email.

Mal

WebmasterAlex said:
I don't see where it asking for a credit card validation, am I missing something?

If you follow the link in #4, they ask for your name, email and zipcode, which I did provide, but then it goes onto another screen and asks for credit card validation. They do provide phone and snail mail addresses if you don't want to do the credit card validation, but I thought it was odd that they'd ask for the credit card number. Or is VMK going to be a pay service later on?

Maleficent2 said:
beleive me they are from Disney.
But like I said before you do not have to give CC info they have other ways to give your permission.

They ask for CC info because how may children do you know that has a cc and they are trying to make sure that the email the child gave is really the parents email.

Mal

Thanks Mal. I feel better now that you've said this :goodvibes
I did forward it onto ms_support@help.go.com and asked if it was a legit email, but haven't heard back yet...probably since it's the holiday.

That is an old leftover from COPA th Child Online Protection Act. It was passed years ago but the Supreme court struck it down. That was going one of the "approved" methods to prove you were an adult.

We actually have that system here on the boards too but it isn't in use since the law was vacated. Disney is just covering their butt

I have two children under 13 playing, and I did not have to provide credit card info for either of them. Why would you, if the game is free? Looks "phishy" to me!

When you registered your kids did you check the under 13 box?

On our VIP tour Saturday our guide was rather chatty on the Jungle Cruise ride.
Nothing unusual, just what you would expect.
But he did ask a question that stuck with me and this thread made me wonder about it.
He asked Who would want this or do that, raise your hands. (Those type of questions/comments. And just a few of them.)
One was something like -- Anyone who would pay to play VMK raise their hands.
I don't think anyone did, but the guide asking.
So it certainly would not surprise me if sometime down the road.... That may have been an informal Disney way of getting feedback and seeing the reception of a fee game, ratherthan a free game.

I received that sam email when we were trying to register my daughter. We just left it alone and used the DH's info and got her set up. I know of several others that have done the same thing. I think they are just trying to cover themselves up on that one!

And I always know when she is on VMK and I have told her to let me know if someone is mean to her if I hve to step away for a moment.

They do provide phone and snail mail addresses if you don't want to do the credit card validation, but I thought it was odd that they'd ask for the credit card number. Or is VMK going to be a pay service later on

Just call the phone number provided....that is all I had to do when I told them I was uncomfotable about giving my cc info all was well I think they just need to hear an adult voice.

I have two children under 13 playing, and I did not have to provide credit card info for either of them. Why would you, if the game is free? Looks "phishy" to me!

Again this is NOT phishing they ask for the credit card number to validate that you are an adult and you are giving your permission for your child to play...THEY DO NOT CHARGE YOUR CARD and they tell you this up front.

They used to do this for Disney sponsered contests that were for children only also.

I know we all are just trying to be safe on the net but please this is a disney email do not ignore it or your child's account may be blocked from playing.

Just click on the link and then call the number to validate their accounts

YOU DO NOT NEED TO GO THE CREDIT CARD route.

Mal

Does anybody have the phone #? I got this message also and looked at it and when I saw that it was an unsecured website I said no way. When my son logged in yesterday his username was denied access to the website. I had him re-register as a new user but told him to say that he was over 13. I know that he lost some of the things that he got under the other user though, I would like to get that stuff back to him.

1-877-466-6669

I called today because I received the email again and DD wasn't able to sign into VMK.
They wanted my name, birthdate :scared1: , and email address. They linked DD's account to mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter