Credit Card attached to Magic Band

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by worldtraveler996, Jun 14, 2018.

1. worldtraveler996

worldtraveler996 Earning My Ears

My family and I (six total) are going to disney world next spring. My boyfriend and I are paying our own way and wanted to attach my credit card to our magic bands. My parents also wanted to attach their credit cards to the rest of the bands. Can we do that? What is the process for attaching the credit cards? We have only done it where the same card was on all magic bands in the past.

2. hiroMYhero

hiroMYhero I'm satisfied with my care... Moderator

You need to be onsite guests and will need to ask the front desk of your onsite resort to assign the specific credit card to the correct people on the reservation.

Moving you to the Resorts board for more info.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. worldtraveler996

Thank you for your help! It is our first time going with this many people on the save reservation.

hiroMYhero likes this.
  5. Marc D

Marc D DIS Veteran

Like I stated in previous threads on this subject, the result of such a request is hit-or-miss. We made sure to request it when we checked in with our nephew last summer. He provided his own card, which was noted in our file by the CM. At the end of the week, all the charges ended up on my card anyway. My sister reimbursed me afterwards. Next time, we will make a test transaction with each band and go check if they are routed correctly.

hiroMYhero likes this.
  6. Kimberle

Kimberle WL Vet

Are you all staying in the same room? Credit cards are never "attached" to magic bands. Credit cards are attached to your room. You have the the ability to charge back to your room while on Disney property. If you and BF are in your own room, then you're fine. You room charges will go to your room. Etc.

drwadadli and Mike Marzano like this.
  7. tnolan

tnolan DIS Veteran

I dont' know if this helps, but when myself and a friend went in May, we were able to have her charges on her Magic Band, and my charges on mine, in other words a separate credit card was able to be attached to each magic band. As stated previously, this was done at the front desk upon check in. Good luck!

BLTtinkerbell and LilyWDW like this.
  8. Mike Marzano

Mike Marzano Earning My Ears

I've been successful only with having one credit card on file per room reservation, similar to what Kimberle mentioned. Even when I stop down front and tried to assign different credit cards for different people on the reservation I had no luck. No matter who on the reservation uses their magic band to charge something, it goes back to the room and shows in the MDE app or if I stop down at the front desk. Any charges on the room reservation will hit the credit card the primary guest has on file in their MDE account, or with the front desk, when the charges exceed $1000 total, or at approximately 9pm (some stays its been about 9:30pm) the night before check out, no matter which guest made them.

You can see the purchase totals that have been charged back to a room, as well as payments and the overall outstanding bill, in the MDE app once checked in (where it shows you the room number). Its not "itemized" per transaction (so if you go to MouseGears and buy 5 things, it shows 1 transaction for the total) ... What we do is keep an eye on the balance of the room charges, and stop down to the front desk once in a while during the trip. That being said, we often use gift cards to pay off the room charges, which does require stopping at the front desk anyway.

So Maybe you can just keep an eye on the transactions, and stop at the front desk asking them to pay those charges which are yours, with your credit card as you go?

9. gharter

gharter DIS Veteran

As long as you are staying onsite, that should not be a problem. You cannot set it up online. You will need to go to the main desk and they can get a credit card set up for each person as needed. We had family stay will us in a 1 BR. Each couple had a separate credit card set to their MB, but only 1 room between the 4 of us. We had no issues with using our MB to charge.
    Good luck, hope it works as easily for you as it did for us.

BLTtinkerbell and Hopefully like this.
  10. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

My friend and I have tried this several times...has yet to work. The CM doing it has said we're good to go, each MB will have it's own cc attached to it...basically. But, nope. All charges went to the lead person on the reservation. I would suggest either going down to the front desk every few days and paying your particular charges with your credit card, or just using your cc when you need to charge something.

11. worldtraveler996

We are all staying in a two bedroom villa. Thank you all for your replies! We will give it a shot otherwise it's not a hassle to just bring the card to the park and pay that way.

12. DisneyFan119

DisneyFan119 Mouseketeer

I've done this multiple times and it has worked each time. We had 3 adults in the same room, and at check in we told them we wanted to have a different card linked to each band. They entered the cards, we had to enter a unique pin, and voila. We each got a bill in our own name the night before checkout. No problems.

However, I don't think any of us reached the "threshold" for charging the cards prematurely, so maybe that's where people's experiences differ.

BLTtinkerbell likes this.
  13. Disnsyncey

Disnsyncey Disney Princess

When we tried, first time it didn't work, second time it did....so hopefully they have had enough practice to make it work nowadays

14. sndral

sndral DIS Veteran

What confuses me is that I thought that you must use a pin code when you use your MB to charge.
    For my upcoming Dec. trip I’ll have my cc on file for myself and my family as par usual. Whenever we charge anywhere using our MBs we also have to type in the pin code.
    For my Dec. trip my brother and sister in law are joining us in a 2 br. villa - MDE asks for them to enter their cc info. & pick a pin code unique to them.
    Assuming they enter their cc info. and pick a pin code, my question is, how can their charges show up on my credit card if when they charge to their MB they use their unique pin code & not mine (which they won’t even know.)
    Isn’t it sort of like an ATM machine where to make the card work you need both the card (MB at WDW) and the pin no. and if you don’t put in the correct pin no. the transaction is denied?
    Years ago I remember my mom and I were never successful w/ getting our individual ccs sorted out when we stayed on WDW property or shared a cabin on Disney cruises - but that was before MBs & MDE and I don’t recall having to set or use pin codes.

15. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

Disney cobbles together their IT system. Weird glitches happen. Somewhere between the PIN and it actually going to the right room charge account, I assume there’s a place where the glitch can happen.