Cream of whatever soup

asoko

Mouseketeer
I thought I saw here a receipe for cream of _____ soup. You could make whatever kind you wanted. It was a dry receipe. But I can't find it, would anyone be able to send me the link?

Thanks

Yep. Someone on here shared it with me. I will share with you.

Homemade Cream of ___ Soup Mix

2 cups powdered milk
¾-1 ¼ cups cornstarch or 2 ½ cups flour
¼ cups chicken, beef, or vegetable bouillon granules
2 Tablespoons dried onion flakes or 1 teaspoon of onion powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1 teaspoon dried basil or marjoram, crushed
½ teaspoon black or white pepper

Combine all ingredients and blend until mixed. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. This recipe makes 3 cups and is enough for 9 cans of soup.

To substitute for one can of condensed cream soup:
In a 1-quart saucepan or microwave safe bowl, combine 1/3 cup of soup mix and 1 1/4 cup water. (If made with flour, add ½ cup mix to 1 ¼ water.) For soup, double the water. Bring to a boil or microwave on high for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, stirring occasionally.

How much would you estimate making this cost you? Or is it not really a cost saving effort but more of having it on hand?

Our Wal-Mart just marked the Campbell cream soups down to $.60, so that would be $5.40 for 9 cans, plus tax, without a coupon. That seems cheap, but I am always willing to do it cheaper. I am just not familiar with the cost of some of these ingredients.

Thanks!

Most of it doesn't cost me anything since I already have it on hand. A small box of dry milk powder cost me less than $2 and it doesn't use the whole thing. Corn starch I have on hand for gravy and stew. I am sure it costs less than $5.

2 cups powdered milk

Combine all ingredients and blend until mixed. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. This recipe makes 3 cups and is enough for 9 cans of soup.

In a 1-quart saucepan or microwave safe bowl, combine 1/3 cup of soup mix and 1 1/4 cup water. (If made with flour, add ½ cup mix to 1 ¼ water.) For soup, double the water. Bring to a boil or microwave on high for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
thanks for this. as most cream of soups have msg which is a no no here

thanks for this. as most cream of soups have msg which is a no no here

Yes, I am always looking for a good "cream of" soup. Trader Joes cream mushroom is just OK. I haven't seen one at Whole Foods. I grew up on Campbells and like it but it is really very unhealthy with the MSG etc.

Someone make it and tell me how it tastes :)

2 cups powdered milk

Thank you!!

2 cups powdered milk

Correct me if I'm wrong. If I wanted cream of broccoli soup, I would use your recipe and add some cooked broccoli, or if I wanted cream of carrot soup, I would add cooked carrots?

AWESOME thank you!:cool1: ds has allergies,and most general cream soups have wheat...this will save me time and money!

Correct me if I'm wrong. If I wanted cream of broccoli soup, I would use your recipe and add some cooked broccoli, or if I wanted cream of carrot soup, I would add cooked carrots?
I leave out the bouillon granules and just use broth but you have the correct idea. I have high blood pressure so no bouillon in there for me. Too much sodium.

You need some sort of broth since it is just powdered. For vegetable based soup, if you don't have vegetable broth then I would use some chicken broth.

Thank you so much for this recipe...I much prefer making things from scratch.

Too funny, I ran across this the other day and was so thrilled. I hate buying canned goods but love using creamed soups in cooking. For years now I have just had to scrap all my recipes with them in it because I didn't want to buy canned soups. So I see this and today I get a newsletter in my email for Simple Times, and what do they have but a Cream of Whatever Soup!! :thumbsup2 SO I thought I'd add their version for anyone interested. It's a use it now recipe, not stored, but I wanted to share... it also has what to add in for a few specific soups.

A friend of mine who's a nutritionist shared this recipe with me. I use it any
time a recipe calls for cream-of-something-or-other soup.

The Basic White Sauce (thick):

3 Tablespoons butter or oil
3 Tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash of pepper
1-1/4 cup liquid, milk or stock

Melt butter or oil in saucepan. Stir in flour and seasonings. Cook
over medium heat until bubbly. Add liquid slowly, stirring with wire
whisk to prevent lumps. Cook until thick. Makes 1 cup or the
equivalent of 1 can of condensed soup.

Tomato Soup: Use tomato juice for the liquid. Add dashes of garlic,
onion powder, basil and oregano.

Chicken Soup: Use chicken broth for half the liquid. Add 1/4 t. poultry
seasoning or sage.

Mushroom/celery/chive soup: Saute 1/4 C chopped mushrooms,
celery or chives and 1 T minced onion in butter before adding flour.

Allergy Suggestion: If you use a gluten-free flour (rice, tapioca, etc.),
you can make the soup substitute gluten-free. And if you use a stock
rather than milk, you can make it milk-free, too.

From Simple Times newsletter, written by Deborah Taylor-Hough

I'm going to make a batch ... I'm always using cans of cream of something but this seems waaay healthier!:thumbsup2

Thank you for sharing this recipe! I love having mixes on hand and cream of ___ soups are so wonderful this time of the year for casseroles, etc. Plus, we just started a "real food" diet (so no preservatives, colors, artificial flavors, etc) - that basically means no processed foods (like canned cream of ___ soups!!) - this will enable me to still cook cheaply and easily! Thanks! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter