Crazy amount of ads taking up half my screen

Lollipop's Mom

<font color=teal>Special trip with your little one
See screenshot! And it goes down my page quite far... on sme pages it is just normal off to the side, and some its like this...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 4.18.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 4.18.02 PM.png
    532 KB · Views: 27
WOW & WOW & WOW........

Same here - I have never seen so many ads, big, half the screen, to the right on the top and in between. every post..............I understand it generates money but this is nuts.

Perhaps consider charging a few dollars yearly to use the site. If we pay, do not let us see any ads......please!!!!

As much as I'd like to support a site with some subtle ads, this site isn't one. I have to run and ad blocker. IMHO the attention to the website as far as things like the ads issue and links not loading property and a few others make me think it's no getting the TLC it should.

I’m mostly mobile and my ads are not too much ( tho I’d prefer none lol) and they seem to show at bottom of my screen only.

I'm okay on PC, 2 adblockers take care of most ads. On phone, it's a nightmare. And recently, the ads have been resizing after having loaded. So, if reading something, whatever I'm reading keeps going up and down, sometimes actually out of view. Then I will move the item being read back into view and then another resizing. Tedious reading.

How much would the site need a month to not use ads? I would assume quite a few dedicated readers would pay some. Just something to think about.

If they start charging I would look for a different Disney forum. Allowing annoying ads in an effort to turn your website into a pay-to-play location would be a dreadful move. None of the other non-Disney forums I belong to have ever charged to participate. I use an adblock on my PC and don't get the annoying ads others talk about. I never use this site on my phone, screen is too small and honestly nothing here is time-sensitive that I need to be constantly looking at it when away from home. I don't use my phone as a portable PC, but perhaps others do.

Not only these are intrusive, these don't appear to be normal Google AdSense ads. I run a site that has their adspace sold rather than be through search history & cookies. These are sold specifically to be here & the fact that the DIS has ads being sold for Nazi clothing isn't great.

massive ads here too even with ad blockers (cell, iPad). Interesting no tech answer in over a month.

@RamblingRabbit i do not belive for one second that the DIS is wanting those ads on their site. Often this happens because the ads are farmed out to a service that isn't selective as it should be. Many times ads like that also pick up on your own search and site history, not saying you searched for that but many times it gets a hint based on another site. Such as I was just reading moments ago about Swastika found in State Department elevator, it could try to pick up something like that. This is why blocking ads, scrips and trashing site cookies matters and 100% why I support Apple's attempts to stop tracking.

massive ads here too even with ad blockers (cell, iPad). Interesting no tech answer in over a month.
Gotta pay for five people to be on DCL Next week, but I get it they have to pay the bills.

@RamblingRabbit i do not belive for one second that the DIS is wanting those ads on their site. Often this happens because the ads are farmed out to a service that isn't selective as it should be. Many times ads like that also pick up on your own search and site history, not saying you searched for that but many times it gets a hint based on another site. Such as I was just reading moments ago about Swastika found in State Department elevator, it could try to pick up something like that. This is why blocking ads, scrips and trashing site cookies matters and 100% why I support Apple's attempts to stop tracking.
I understand this, as I said I have a site that saw a 4.6 Million Reach the last month. You have the right to tell your advertisement seller your lines on what should be placed and if it will revert to picking for you. I don't believe they want these ads here, but I do believe they should be aware of this and inform their advertising partner to review who they are selling to.

I'm okay on PC, 2 adblockers take care of most ads. On phone, it's a nightmare. And recently, the ads have been resizing after having loaded. So, if reading something, whatever I'm reading keeps going up and down, sometimes actually out of view. Then I will move the item being read back into view and then another resizing. Tedious reading.
I thought something was wrong with my Mac! My screen would do it also. Start reading and it moves down, or up. Drove me absolutely nuts! Then I downloaded AdGuard for Safari. It's free and it works! Not one stinking ad now.

I thought something was wrong with my Mac! My screen would do it also. Start reading and it moves down, or up. Drove me absolutely nuts! Then I downloaded AdGuard for Safari. It's free and it works! Not one stinking ad now.
I've had a hard time typing out a post. The typing box keeps going up and down as the ads change size and everything keeps moving up and down.

How do you turnoff JavaScript for this site?

Depends on the browser.

Edge: Click the ... to the right of the address bar, go to Settings, go to Cookies and Site Permissions, scroll down and click JavaScript, then in the Block area click Add, paste in https://www.disboards.com, then click Add. You might need to restart the browser.

Chrome is similar. The setting is under Privacy and Security/Site Settings/Content/JavaScript.

I don't know if this is easily doable in FireFox.

Last edited:
Depends on the browser.

Edge: Click the ... to the right of the address bar, go to Settings, go to Cookies and Site Permissions, scroll down and click JavaScript, then in the Block area click Add, paste in https://www.disboards.com, then click Add. You might need to restart the browser.

Chrome is similar. The setting is under Privacy and Security/Site Settings/Content/JavaScript.

I don't know if this is easily doable in FireFox.
Thank you! I did find it in Chrome....and followed instructions to block java/disboards. Restarted browser and even computer but ads are still crazy...especially one at the bottom.

Thank you! I did find it in Chrome....and followed instructions to block java/disboards. Restarted browser and even computer but ads are still crazy...especially one at the bottom.

I just tried it in Chrome, and it works. I didn't even need to restart. I just refreshed the page. Make sure you use the full URL (https://www.disboards.com) and you add it to the Block list.

Note that blocking JavaScript on a site can make other things on that site not work. I am generally OK with how disboards works, though. However, if this is not a good solution for a site, then you can look into general Ad blockers available for each browser. I am not that familiar with them, so I cannot recommend anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter