Crayola Factory?

DebMcDonald

DIS Veteran
Has anyone visited the Crayola factory/museum. We are taking a drive from Mass to Detroit and I thought maybe we would detour for a visit - is it worth it.
My other thoughts are also Sesame Park - my kids are 3, 5 and 12 (she's at an age she doesn't like anything, so this will be no different than daily living).

CRAYOLA FACTORY!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:
My kids are 1,3,8 and 12. We live pretty close to the Crayola factory so we go as often as possible(it is pricey - but they are going to come out with a family pass soon :banana: ) My kids love it here. It is a fun day of coloring and crafts(actually a half day would be long enough- and get there early as it gets crowded.) And don't miss the upstairs water works display- boats and trains ect... my kids really enjoy it.
Now for Sesame Place- that is like torture. It gets packed! There is no shade so it is HOT! And the crowds are unbelievable-makes disney in July look like a cake walk. It is mostly a water park with a few little kid rides thrown in.
Now if you are looking for a water park in that area Camelbeach(on camelback mountain) is the one to do! They have a great kids section- it is perfect for the 5 and 3 year old. And for the 12 they have all the slides- and bumper boats ect... check out their website they have webcams so you can really check it out. It would be a great day of sun and fun. I asked my 8 and 12 and they both said hands down Camelbeach out of the 3.
So I guess it depends how much time you want to spend. A quicker stop is crayola factory- and then you could hop in the car and keep on driving. Camelbeach is a full day of tiring fun. The kids will be wiped out and would probably sleep like logs.
I won't comment on Sesame place because really I beg you DO NOT GO!! The only people that should go here are those with kids that are addicted to Elmo and you want to take one for the kids.

We've been the past 3 years! I have two boys 4 & 6! It is mostly wet rides, some dry though! I think your older one would do ok there as well.......Yes, it can get crowded, I've always gone in August - i would recommend mid-week - um you will probably get some camp groups but hey its the summer! We usually stay over and go 2 days in a row!

I've also been to Crayoloa Factory - definitly for young kids - we did 1/2 day and it was enough! I don't think i'd go again!

I vote for Sesame Place a full day and since your in town, Crayola Factory as well - my mids liked Crayola Factory and LOVE Sesame Place!

lisa

I have taken my First Grade class to the Crayola Factory and they really enjoyed it. I have gone in about a year, but the last time we were there the kids got to put their tokens into machines that dispense mini packs of crayons and single markers, paint with melted crayons and q-tips, draw on a slide and put it into a projector to see it enlarged, follow along with a demonstration and create your own-we used model magic and then colored it, watch a sample set up of how crayons are made, and color pictures of course! We didn't go upstairs to the canal museum because we didn't have enough time. I think we spent about 2 hours there, but keep in mind each group had about 5 kids per chaperone so it was hard to give each child a chance to do everything, plus there were a bunch of other field trips there as well that we had to compete with. I believe there is a small McDonalds restaurant downstairs in the factory, although I could be wrong. Threre is also a gift shop stocked with Crayola products (but you can exit the building w/o having to go through the gift shop, unlike at Disney). I haven't been to Sesame Place in ages although I remember having a hard time walking on the hot cement. I have also hear good things about CamelBeach as someone else mentioned.

We have never been to the Craylola factory, but I think we will try it soon!

We have been to SP twice and we really liked it, although it was crowded!! We went in August both times.. the first year was great, but last year there were a lot of camp groups and they were obnoxious and the teachers just couldn't keep control. It was very frustrating.
I was really upset when we staked out a spot for the parade 45 minutes in advance and then right as the parade was starting, a teenage girl pushed in front of us with her little brother. I asked her to move down a little bit, but she ignored me :(

We're still deciding about whether to go this summer. Like I said, our first trip was great, but the second one was aggravating.

We have visited the crayola museum several times and all of my kids have enjoyed it and at various ages. It is a pleasant, fun, and even a little educational trip :-) I just asked my 11 (12 in August) ds and he said he likes the place and thinks a kid his age would enjoy it okay on a family trip.

We have only been to Sesame Place one time (and we live only an hour away), and we would never go back. The place was okay as far as the attractions, but the people in the park the day we were there were AWFUL. We visited on a weekend in August a few years agao and there were like 50 buses from inner city areas - it was a very unpleasant visit! I have heard from a friend who lives 5 minutes away, that week day visits are better.

Another alternative to Sesame Place to visit in PA would be Hershey Park...lots to do for all ages. It is not Disney, but it is a pleasant park and fun for all. They also have a few water slides and a really fun water coaster that allows you to shoot water cannons as you ride - kids live that one on a hot day! My kids are currently 11, 10, 6, and 1 and they all have a great time when we visit hershey each summer.

We have gone to Sesame Place twice - and we love it. It is one of the cleanest parks and the water rides are a lot of fun. We drove 8 hrs each time just to go there...If you are only interested in one day admission - use your AAA card or a coupon in the Entertainment Book for a discount OR if you want to stay 2 days -- pay regular price and your ticket is good for 2 days. Your kids would have to LOVE water parks for 2 days there!!

Crayola factory was a lot of fun also -- but if you are making a large detour only for Crayola I wouldn't do it. It's only a 1/2 day at best.

I second the suggestion of Hershey. We love, love, love Hershey Park. We've been there the past three summers. My kids are 6, 3, and 14 months. :banana: :cool1: I was not impressed with Sesame Park and Crayola Factory is on the small side. It lost its thrill after an hour or so.

I agree with above posters about Crayola Factory, although I haven't been there in several years. It is a fun place for kids 5 thru 7 maybe, but, again only for a few hours. If you're making a large detour I don't know if I would bother. Hershey is also very nice, but, you will need a whole day (a tiring day at that). Don't know what your route is, but, going from Mass to Detroit you could also probably hit the Corning Glass Museum in Corning, NY. Haven't been there for a long time, but, I have seen quite a few ad's lately in our area (I live about 3 hours away in PA) so I know they're marketing a several hour radius. Another nice place in central PA is Knoebel's Amusement Park in Elysburg (about 1/2 hour off Route 80). It's sort of a step back in time. It's a small, family run park with picnic areas and maybe 30 rides (some for smaller kids and some larger) and a swimming pool. I think they have two types of ticketing, a whole day pass for everything or buy tickets for individual rides.....not sure though, it's been about five years since I was there. I have heard from friends, though, that's it's still a very nicely run old time park. I do remember it being very clean. My daughter has been to Camelbeach with friends (she's 22) and she really liked it, but, again ......it's in the Pocono's so you will hit large crowds since the draw is from eastern PA, NJ, and NY.

Although it's in NJ, the Land of Make Believe is really popular with the younger kids. My sister teaches first grade and they commonly say the Land of Make Believe is one of their favorite places that they went to over the summer. Not very crowded, and something for everybody!

http://www.thelandofmakebelieve.com/

We go to Hershey two to three times a year with our 3 & 9. They both love it. What is nice is that the younger kid rides are spread out through the park. So everyone gets to ride on rides through out the park. I hate when the younger kid rides are separated from the rest of the park. As for the Crayola Factory both my kids liked it but really wasn't worth the ride.

DonnaL said:
Another nice place in central PA is Knoebel's Amusement Park in Elysburg (about 1/2 hour off Route 80). It's sort of a step back in time. It's a small, family run park with picnic areas and maybe 30 rides (some for smaller kids and some larger) and a swimming pool. I think they have two types of ticketing, a whole day pass for everything or buy tickets for individual rides.....not sure though, it's been about five years since I was there. I have heard from friends, though, that's it's still a very nicely run old time park. I do remember it being very clean.

Sshhh! Don't let out the secret :rolleyes1

GraysMom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter