Crab legs at Cape May thread-crab legs still going strong! :)

We also had the crab legs early last month. But they definitely were not worth the effort in cracking and picking. I won't miss them because they were of such poor quality.

I was just going to say the same thing. They were way too much work! Either poor quality or cooked incorrectly. You couldn't just crack em and pull out nice chunk of meat. Nevertheless, I would still eat there because they have plenty of delicious thing on the menu besides the crab legs.

Have neither of you ever eaten a meal at Boma ? Have ONLY had exceptional food there no matter which meal

I feel I'd be pushing it to call Boma breakfast exceptional, it seemed ordinary except for a couple of somewhat more interesting dishes.

Dinner was different but I haven't been since I quit Disney buffets.

I feel I'd be pushing it to call Boma breakfast exceptional, it seemed ordinary except for a couple of somewhat more interesting dishes.

Dinner was different but I haven't been since I quit Disney buffets.

And this is why life is interesting we all have different opinions Like Rusty Scupper praised FW Trails End I've eaten there many many times A convenient place to meet friends and hang out at the fort but I would call the food there passable Nothing more

As long as the peel and eat shrimp stays Im happy. DW on the other hand was not happy about this news.

I agree. This is what we do generally. CS or Signature. The regular TS and CS taste the same, for better or for worse.

You can definitely get by on counter services, alone! The best of CS is better than a lot (maybe most?) of the 1 credit TS.

But there are a few 1 credits that still seem to be worth doing for quality food: Kona, Sanaa, Boma, Wave.

But yeah, those few aside, signatures and CS all the way, baby!

I really feel SERIOUSLY, that Disney RUINED the WDW experience with FREE DINING....

::yes:: Totally agree!
I want more restaurants that are not DDP, so that the quality and originality can return. I would think that the chefs want the same. :confused3

So far, we are planning on keeping our December ADR. We didn't eat the crab at CMC anyway, but we would change our plan if our fave items disappeared off the menu or if the chef no longer went out of his way to accommodate our allergies.

Very upsetting, this was a yearly tradition of ours since I was a kid to eat at CMC for the crab legs. It's really sad to see the impact of free dining and the ever so common reality of the food quality going downhill and the prices going up and so many disney restaurants. We won't be going to the CMC anymore if this is all true.

I liked the crab legs in the past, but it was never the center of my meal. I like the crabs and mussels more. I remember that they used to have beef ribs. Are these still there, or is it just a chicken dish? I won't cancel our ressie over the loss of crab legs there, but that's just my preference. Now if Ohana ditched the wings....ba-bye!!!

How is the misnamed "free dining" to blame? Because WDW restaurants don't even have to try to get customers? That makes it a management and organizational caused problem, not a customer caused problem, right? I just want WDW restaurants to act like they want customers to come in, instead of acting like they are an inconvenience.

Agreed. For many years, crab legs were not part of the buffet selection, and those trips are my fondest recollections of Cape May dinners.

What were you paying in the good old days? Was it as much as now? Would you have felt as good about the meal paying today's prices for what you got then?

You can definitely get by on counter services, alone! The best of CS is better than a lot (maybe most?) of the 1 credit TS.

But there are a few 1 credits that still seem to be worth doing for quality food: Kona, Sanaa, Boma, Wave.

But yeah, those few aside, signatures and CS all the way, baby!

Yes to Kona and Sanaa. Never been to Boma or Wave but may try Wave this trip.

I hope we can get some more people who are at WDW now weighing in on whether the crab legs are still there. We usually go each trip and my DS loves the crab legs. In fact, it's usually almost the only thing he eats there. If there's no crab legs, then I would definitely cancel our ADR there next month.

I think I'll make a backup ADR in case this is still happening in September, but I think this obviously has more to do with the crabbing issues versus Disney just feeling like removing them. We will see I guess.

How is the misnamed "free dining" to blame? Because WDW restaurants don't even have to try to get customers? That makes it a management and organizational caused problem, not a customer caused problem, right? I just want WDW restaurants to act like they want customers to come in, instead of acting like they are an inconvenience.

People seem to think that Free Dining caused Disney to lower their food quality and offer bland dishes.

It couldn't have anything to do with people complaining about anything that has a unique taste, wanting the same chicken nuggets and burgers as kid options, or having so many allergies, eating twice the normal sized servings, and special dietary requests that it isn't worth creating unique dishes anymore.

It honestly only takes a quick look at some of the threads wanting unique dishes and better options for kids, and then peek into the BOG thread to see people complaining about the exact thing they asked for.

People seem to think that Free Dining caused Disney to lower their food quality and offer bland dishes.

It couldn't have anything to do with people complaining about anything that has a unique taste, wanting the same chicken nuggets and burgers as kid options, or having so many allergies, eating twice the normal sized servings, and special dietary requests that it isn't worth creating unique dishes anymore.

It honestly only takes a quick look at some of the threads wanting unique dishes and better options for kids, and then peek into the BOG thread to see people complaining about the exact thing they asked for.

I just don't think people would like "unique dishes" better if they were paying for them separate from their vacation package. "Free dining" does just what its meant to do by Disney management, fill the resorts, fill the restaurants, and relieve them of having to satisfy the customer. I do agree that most people do not like flavorful food, people love the blandness at Biergarten, for example, but to blame people's tastes or Disney's reactions to it on a promotion are simply ridiculous. I don't think empty restaurants would impel TDO to offer less of what people like.

"Free Dining" caused the restaurants to focus on cost savings and turning over tables as fast as they can. That reduced the quality of the food and the dining experience. Offering different menus for free dining and other times would be a real challenge to administer.

:earsboy: Bill

"Free Dining" caused the restaurants to focus on cost savings and turning over tables as fast as they can. That reduced the quality of the food and the dining experience. Offering different menus for free dining and other times would be a real challenge to administer.

See, this argument doesn't hold up, empty or half filled restaurants aren't going to make the Disney organization focus less on cost savings when they are generating less cash from restaurants. "Free dining" brings in cash that they otherwise would not get. If they're focusing on cost savings when getting that revenue, they're certainly not going to ease up if the "free dining" revenue stopped. I don't get the idea that "free dining" represents a cost to TDO, they're offering it to bring in revenue that otherwise would have gone elsewhere. If they're misallocating that revenue then that's a management fault, not a customer fault.

See, this argument doesn't hold up, empty or half filled restaurants aren't going to make the Disney organization focus less on cost savings when they are generating less cash from restaurants. "Free dining" brings in cash that they otherwise would not get. If they're focusing on cost savings when getting that revenue, they're certainly not going to ease up if the "free dining" revenue stopped. I don't get the idea that "free dining" represents a cost to TDO, they're offering it to bring in revenue that otherwise would have gone elsewhere. If they're misallocating that revenue then that's a management fault, not a customer fault.

This is the way that I see it. Disney wanted to increase profits and they have rooms that are not being occupied. They know that people love to eat and they know that they like the word free.

They raise the room price and include "free" food. Modify the menus to reduce their food costs, modify the free rules each year, and limit the number of rooms offered. They fill the rooms, increase attendance, and make more money.

"Free Dining" caused the restaurants to focus on cost savings and turning over tables as fast as they can. That reduced the quality of the food and the dining experience. Offering different menus for free dining and other times would be a real challenge to administer. :earsboy: Bill

Isn't that kind of the goal for every restaurant? Low cost/fast turn around.

Isn't that kind of the goal for every restaurant? Low cost/fast turn around.

It is but to offset the "free" dining they had to cut more than normal. IMO they realized that they could add a smear of colored sauce on the plate, reduce the portion size, add some fancy words to the description and charge more.

The dining experience at Disney was different years ago, larger portions, more relaxed feel, not as much noise.

Now they design the space to increase the noise and the seats to be less comfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!