Couple questions about paying things in advance

MyPeanut&Bug

Mouseketeer
First off, sorry if this isn't the right place to put this - wasn't sure where and ended up picking here since it involves me trying to best budget our trip! :)

We are going to WDW next May. We are trying to finalize our dates in the next few weeks because I want to get our room booked and start paying on it so it can hopefully be paid off by the time we go. In the past we've always just booked it on a credit card and paid it off at home, but money is tighter now (2 kids later, go figure? :laughing: ) In doing this, am I "locked in" to paying a certain amount each month between booking and when we go? Or is it just up to us?

I also read a couple people say they bought their park tickets one at a time as they had money to spread out those costs and was thinking of doing that as well (planning on ordering them from undercover tourist). I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly - If I've read it right, I wouldn't need to choose the "no expiration" option since they aren't activated/start to expire until the first day we use them in the parks, correct?? How early would you order park tickets? Any cons to ordering them "too early?"

Ok, think that's all the questions...for now. ;) We haven't been to Disney since our honeymoon in '02 and wow, feels like a whole new experience!! :)

We buy and pay for as many things as possible before we go and that includes the tickets. I believe that the price of the tickets increases in August. So if you wanted to buy them before then, you would save some $$$. They are not active until the first time you use them.

You are correct in thinking that the ticker on your tickets don't start ticking until the first day you use them at the park. I would buy as many of them as you can this year because after Dec, they will charge 2009 prices for the tickets. Now, as far as the room goes, from what I understand, they will let you book now for next year, but your room price isn't guaranteed. Those prices are posted in Aug. I always have paid on my room reservations and when I called the Disney number to make a payment, the CM on the phone told me that I could pay a dollar a day if I wanted to. It makes the vacation seem so much more economical by paying it off a little at a time, rather a lump sum. Seems cheaper that way:lmao:

Thank you! I was just concerned about whether there was a set amount we HAD to pay every month and what happened if we had a tight month or something! Sounds good - and a dollar a day made me laugh. :) Will definitely buy our tickets first though before those prices go up!

You are correct in thinking that the ticker on your tickets don't start ticking until the first day you use them at the park. I would buy as many of them as you can this year because after Dec, they will charge 2009 prices for the tickets.

Ticket prices used to go up early in the new year. The past few years they have gone up in the summer, so I wouldn't be surprised to see higher ticket prices this August.

I buy things as I get money. Last year we booked a package through WDTC and did not have to have the entire amount paid for until 45 prior ro our trip. This is also intrest free. I just paid a little at a time when I had the money.

I recommend having as much prepaid before the trip so you do not have to worry about it when you get home.

Another thing I do is save change. We have a water cooler bottle and I just dump all of the change in it. Once it gets to be 6 months from our trip I start putting a $5 bill in each week. Right before we leave I go to the bank and get the money put on a prepaid VISA card for our spending in the parks.

We've done the bill thing too. I read on another tip board, that the OP said, about 2-3 months before they leave, he starts sticking his singles in the jar. So, whenever he would go to the store he would make sure that he would pay with a bill that would get ones back as change. Then he put his change and his ones. It's amazing how quickly those ones add up.

Another saving technique: we like to buy Disney Gift Cards each month. This way we can save over several months.

Def want to buy in advance as it is much much cheaper than paying at the entrance ( if this is what you mean ). Just found out that buying Quest tickets would be less expensive such as - 30.23 in advance vs. 39.41 (10+)...and 26.75 in advance vs. 33.02 (3-9). For us that would be $31.

If you can buy in advance, do it!

One of the things I like about Disney trips is that I am able to prepay and budget almost everything. We also do the envelope system while we are there. I already have the mousekeeping envelopes for tips, and since we're doing free dining, I also made envelopes for our table service tips. By the time we leave, I also have envelopes for each day including the travel days with any tips at the airport, parking money, and food.

We're kind of corny about it. Every morning, we rip open the envelope and say "We have XX amount of money for this leg of the race" like on the Amazing Race. :laughing: But, once it's in the envelope, there is very little temptation to spend it!:goodvibes

I also have a Walmart gift card in my wallet that I put $5 or $10 on every time I'm in there or at Sam's. We use it for sunscreen and such before we go and to fill up the car for the trip to the airport. (We are 90 miles from a major airport.) What's left over is usually spent when I buy groceries after we return home. It's very painless!

More awesome ideas, thanks!! I started about a month ago to stop debiting everything, to take out actual cash and then any single one dollar bills and coin change gets put away for Disney. I'm amazed at how much has accumulated in just a month!

I've got enough set aside right now to buy our tickets and do the deposit on the room...just need to decide dates and how many day tickets! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter