Country Bear Jamboree (Refurb) / An Imagineering Opportunity

kcb1dizbksfan

Mouseketeer
I went to the CBJ on 7/4/12 and it was the first time I attended this attraction in a few years. I have always liked this attraction because of its simplicity, air conditioning and opportunity to take a catnap after eating a turkey leg or whatever I had eaten after (never before) the Frontierland rides. I was honestly surprised to see as many people at this attraction given its age and comparatively less appeal than other rides and venues at the MK.

I am glad I was able to visit CBJ because I had no idea it was going into rehab and this would be the last time I would see it in its current state. Pardon my pun, but taking photos at CBJ has always been a “bear” because of the low light and not having a camera to operate effectively at higher ISO levels and slower shutter speeds. With my 5DMKIII, it feeds on low light, without using a disturbing flash, which you’re technically not allowed to use at this attraction anyway.

I have no idea what the Imagineers are planning in terms of changes to this attraction, but here are a few of my thoughts. I don’t mind the 15 minute length and actually enjoy the extended time in A/C, particularly if it’s a very hot day in the park, however, the planned modifications to the show at this stage in its productions life should be significant this time around in order to keep the interest and attention of the general public and others who may not be as minimally satisfied with the simple nostalogic history of this attraction as I am (I am just old and simple!).

My recommended technological modifications to the Imagineers to bring CBJ more contemporary, if feasible and cost effective are as follows:

1) NEXGEN Audio Animatronics: The CBJ robotics and audio animatronics of its characters is first generation and really needs to be upgraded to be in alignment with the achievements within Disney Research over the past few years. The synchronization between the audio and the bear’s movements appears off at times for starters.
2) Background Theming: Introducing Virtual Reality (VR) 360 Panoramic Photography/video within the theatre could be introduced to enhance a good story line for the refurbed attraction. This enhancement would provide a dynamic vs static background change from its current state which could serve as a “non-starter” towards modifying and evolving this attractions ability to change its storyline and perhaps character changes over the past several years.
3) Variations on a Theme: CBJ has only one thematic change in its presentation outside of its normal production, which is during the Christmas Holiday, which I really enjoy. I am thinking Halloween, Independence Day perhaps, Thanksgiving as starters to increase the number of storylines, background and character changes. I believe having an element of change beyond just Christmas could be a stronger drawing card for increased interest and attendance at this great attraction.

Again, these are just my opinions, but what does everyone else think about regarding what has worked over the years for this attraction and what has not worked and what recommended improvements to this attraction would you make without detracting from this wonderful and simple attraction, without going over the top to bring the characters more current by having either Big Al or the other bears surfing the Net and text messaging each other?

DR NYKCB (Ken)

DisneyWorld.jpg

DisneyWorld-29.jpg

DisneyWorld-28.jpg

DisneyWorld-27.jpg

DisneyWorld-26.jpg

DisneyWorld-25.jpg

DisneyWorld-24.jpg

DisneyWorld-23.jpg

DisneyWorld-18.jpg

DisneyWorld-16.jpg

DisneyWorld-15.jpg

DisneyWorld-14.jpg

DisneyWorld-13.jpg

DisneyWorld-12.jpg

DisneyWorld-11.jpg

DisneyWorld-9.jpg

DisneyWorld-8.jpg

DisneyWorld-7.jpg

DisneyWorld-5.jpg

DisneyWorld-4.jpg

DisneyWorld-3.jpg

DisneyWorld-2.jpg

Thanks for the article and terrific pictures.

Presumably this is supposed to be a wild west saloon show, set about 1880. Aside from the obvious script updates, any minimal representations of clothing should be historically accurate.

I get that the bears are meant to be caricatures, but those bonnets on the girls look more like the big plastic shields they put on dogs heads after they have had their ears docked.

Give the ladies real hats or real bonnets, please.

Thanks for the article and terrific pictures.

Presumably this is supposed to be a wild west saloon show, set about 1880. Aside from the obvious script updates, any minimal representations of clothing should be historically accurate.

I get that the bears are meant to be caricatures, but those bonnets on the girls look more like the big plastic shields they put on dogs heads after they have had their ears docked.

Give the ladies real hats or real bonnets, please.

LOL

DR NYKCB (Ken)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter