Could your dog be a therapy dog?

It seems like it's more than a coincidence most "therapy dogs" I've seen depicted on the news or elsewhere (never encountered a therapy dog in real time) that they are always a Lab or Golden Retriever.

I don't have a dog, daughter has a German Sheppard I love only it's too wild. No one does anything to tame and train their dog. It's extremely protective of his people, including me. It grabbed a beautiful Chocolate Lab puppy at the dog park because I reached down to pet it.

Took him for a walk on the bike trail. it went berserk when another dog walked past (note, this is out in the middle of nowhere where we don't see a lot of people on the trail.) Nope, upset my baby girl because I told her she can't bring the dog down here threatening other dogs. She lives with her mother and it's too much of a liability on her mother losing her home. If I have trouble keeping the dog riled in on the leash, she surely does.

Yes, both of our dogs are Goldens, as was our previous therapy dog. However, on the airport therapy squad, there is a huge variety of breeds, including a rottweiler, Belgian Malinois, Shepard mixes, and even a cat!

Our pups are 14 months and 19 months and are the typical crazy puppies. But when we pull out their work vests, our older pup knows it's time to get to work and he settles down. The Tiny Terror is learning what the vest means and is getting better when she sees the vest.

It seems like it's more than a coincidence most "therapy dogs" I've seen depicted on the news or elsewhere (never encountered a therapy dog in real time) that they are always a Lab or Golden Retriever.

I don't have a dog, daughter has a German Sheppard I love only it's too wild. No one does anything to tame and train their dog. It's extremely protective of his people, including me. It grabbed a beautiful Chocolate Lab puppy at the dog park because I reached down to pet it.

Took him for a walk on the bike trail. it went berserk when another dog walked past (note, this is out in the middle of nowhere where we don't see a lot of people on the trail.) Nope, upset my baby girl because I told her she can't bring the dog down here threatening other dogs. She lives with her mother and it's too much of a liability on her mother losing her home. If I have trouble keeping the dog riled in on the leash, she surely does.
I think the three most common breeds for service dogs are Labs, Goldens, and German Shepherds.

But the therapy dogs I see are all different breeds based on what they do/where they go. (Ex. smaller dogs are more suited to visits where they may be in a patient's bed or lap; my greyhound was perfect for nursing homes because he was eye-level for patients sitting, etc). It's really more about the temperament than the training. I have had other dogs that were much smarter and easier to train than the therapy dog I had, but they would not make good therapy dogs because they were either more "intense" or more bonded to me so they didn't have any interest in getting affection from other people.

He would want to be but absolutely could not be.
Colby has the biggest heart and just wants to sit on your feet and give you the puppy dog eyes while you're patting his head and could happily do this ALL DAY LONG. But just the other day, I almost fell over him ( 80lb dog) because he follows me around constantly. Also, he simply doesn't listen to me much.

Not ours. He's a loving dog and craves the attention of people, but he's also likes to jump up to people (it's the doxy in him) and I don't think that would go well in a therapy setting.

We have an agoraphobic great dane, so unless the therapy was at our farm, he'd be a bull in a china shop! We are trying to get our other dog used to people/going places and she's getting better, but never to point of therapy dog. I used to raise & show miniature horses, and every time I hear about or see one as a therapy animal it it just makes me smile!

My biggest challenge for the exam was teaching him to "sit". I finally figured out to have him lie down and then basically pause in the middle of getting back up so it looked like he was "sitting". (He could not sit from a standing position like a normal dog). It was awkward and he looked ridiculous, but the rules said "no exceptions". I looked up the new testing requirements and it now has a new rule included: "3. Retired racing Greyhounds are not required to sit for testing."
The easiest way I’ve found to train a dog to sit (and I’ve used this on three dogs now, originally learned from trainer Brian Kilcommons though the hand signal is my own thing) is to have something of high value in your hand that they really want, like a piece of ham or cheese, and to lift that hand up right next to their head so they have to sit to get it, while, with your other hand, making a “lift up” motion. When they sit, give it (carefully, lol). Eventually they will sit with the “lift up” gesture alone. (I’m not big into using food for training except for this.)

Yikes. That, unfortunately, is a dangerous dog. Sounds reactive. I’m on my seventh German Shepherd now, the most recent being a rescue that came with some issues, but fortunately, has a very sweet basic personality. We started to see some overprotectiveness in certain situations, but realized it was because he had not really lived in a house with a family before, and we had to teach him expectations with those who live here and visit. A lot of work has to go into it, from everyone here - it’s easier with a puppy, to train them right from the get-go. It’s really about being well-socialized, so they can safely be around people and other dogs. (Teaching them they don’t need to protect us. They will still, however, know what to do in a true emergency.) The way a German Shepherd is programmed - if they don’t have a leader who leads, they’ll lead themselves, and that’s when you run into problems because they do things their way, which isn’t good. Your daughter needs to be more proactive with the dog in leading - what’s ok to do, and what’s not. And he should be on lead at all times. Owning one is a big responsibility. Hope you don’t mind the advice, I love the breed and hate to see bad things happen. Let me know if I can help with any more information.

https://gsrne.org/before-you-adopt/

My rescue, after his first grooming:

808748F8-52A6-4AF7-89E9-7A337DAF89EE.jpeg

The easiest way I’ve found to train a dog to sit (and I’ve used this on three dogs now, originally learned from trainer Brian Kilcommons though the hand signal is my own thing) is to have something of high value in your hand that they really want, like a piece of ham or cheese, and to lift that hand up right next to their head so they have to sit to get it, while, with your other hand, making a “lift up” motion. When they sit, give it (carefully, lol). Eventually they will sit with the “lift up” gesture alone. (I’m not big into using food for training except for this.)

Yikes. That, unfortunately, is a dangerous dog. Sounds reactive. I’m on my seventh German Shepherd now, the most recent being a rescue that came with some issues, but fortunately, has a very sweet basic personality. We started to see some overprotectiveness in certain situations, but realized it was because he had not really lived in a house with a family before, and we had to teach him expectations with those who live here and visit. A lot of work has to go into it, from everyone here - it’s easier with a puppy, to train them right from the get-go. It’s really about being well-socialized, so they can safely be around people and other dogs. (Teaching them they don’t need to protect us. They will still, however, know what to do in a true emergency.) The way a German Shepherd is programmed - if they don’t have a leader who leads, they’ll lead themselves, and that’s when you run into problems because they do things their way, which isn’t good. Your daughter needs to be more proactive with the dog in leading - what’s ok to do, and what’s not. And he should be on lead at all times. Owning one is a big responsibility. Hope you don’t mind the advice, I love the breed and hate to see bad things happen. Let me know if I can help with any more information.

https://gsrne.org/before-you-adopt/

My rescue, after his first grooming:

View attachment 724074
Sure, the advice is appreciated. I see exactly what you said right there, no leader that leads, they will lead themselves. Indeed, he rules himself and them.

Unfortunately out of my hands. Such an incredibly intelligent dog to. Some training and he would be amazing to have. If I could have a dog, I'd take him and be training with him this very minute.

I told her, the ex, not to. She hates dogs. There's a reason we're divorced. She gets a dog anyways because she thinks she'll be lonely when the girls are gone. It was exactly as expected, she hates dogs. It does have a beautiful place to live, a live electric full cattle fenced in about acre worth of yard. It's technically not my daughter's dog, she's the one who takes care of it. She doesn't live there and doesn't have room at her boyfriend's. He's out in the back yard out in the middle of nowhere.
He wasn't there all the time. When she wasn't in school or working her part time hours, he was with my daughter. At the park, at the trail, out in the woods, at grandma's with her 5 dogs. Out with the boyfriend with his 3 dogs (reason there's no room for this one.) Out at the lake. Down at the river. And he sleeps in her room with her when she's home and she comes home at night to put him to bed when she's at her boyfriend's. So it's not ignored, it gets a lot of attention.

I've taken him myself to the trail. Well, the ex and I mended a while ago and we go hiking and such together often so it would be me or us 2 with the dog. I never had a problem with him. Just the normal over excitement he has with me which I can't get to stop as I'm just an occasional visitor and can't do anything with him. Finally get a chance to go hiking/walking with my daughter and he went bananas about other dogs. I think because she was with him. I had a harness with a handle on it on his back that I had a hold of along with the leash and he was a handful. That's when I said to her, she shouldn't be brining him down to the trail to walk.

I wish I could post a picture of my daughter because she's 5'6" and I have a picture of him sitting next to her on the couch and their heads are even height.

Yes, both of our dogs are Goldens, as was our previous therapy dog. However, on the airport therapy squad, there is a huge variety of breeds, including a rottweiler, Belgian Malinois, Shepard mixes, and even a cat!

Our pups are 14 months and 19 months and are the typical crazy puppies. But when we pull out their work vests, our older pup knows it's time to get to work and he settles down. The Tiny Terror is learning what the vest means and is getting better when she sees the vest.
2 golden puppies!! I’m so jealous! On my 3rd golden. Best dogs I’ve ever had but & this current one is my favorite dog I’ve ever had.

Yes, without question. Trea was a poodle I got when I was a kid. A younger cousin came to visit. She was about 10, and she was terrified of all dogs after being bit on the face by a barn yard dog. Trea just seemed to sense that and never left her side, even slept on her bed the entire week. They became best buddies.

When I took mine for obedience training when he was a puppy, the trainer said he’d make an excellent service dog. I didn’t follow up, though, so now he’s just a goofball-a sweet, silly, protective goofball with fits of hilarious zoomies. I ❤️ him the way he is.

I have one w\that I wanted to be a therapy dog. He did all the training but could not pass the elevator portion. He hates them.

My other dog hated strangers when she was younger, Now she is 14 yrs old and much friendlier.

Absolutely not. He is way too bad.

Attachments

• 52F572A2-FB1F-47B2-BA1D-A5F2F525E85A.jpeg
    52F572A2-FB1F-47B2-BA1D-A5F2F525E85A.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 2
Sure, the advice is appreciated. I see exactly what you said right there, no leader that leads, they will lead themselves. Indeed, he rules himself and them.

Unfortunately out of my hands. Such an incredibly intelligent dog to. Some training and he would be amazing to have. If I could have a dog, I'd take him and be training with him this very minute.

I told her, the ex, not to. She hates dogs. There's a reason we're divorced. She gets a dog anyways because she thinks she'll be lonely when the girls are gone. It was exactly as expected, she hates dogs. It does have a beautiful place to live, a live electric full cattle fenced in about acre worth of yard. It's technically not my daughter's dog, she's the one who takes care of it. She doesn't live there and doesn't have room at her boyfriend's. He's out in the back yard out in the middle of nowhere.
He wasn't there all the time. When she wasn't in school or working her part time hours, he was with my daughter. At the park, at the trail, out in the woods, at grandma's with her 5 dogs. Out with the boyfriend with his 3 dogs (reason there's no room for this one.) Out at the lake. Down at the river. And he sleeps in her room with her when she's home and she comes home at night to put him to bed when she's at her boyfriend's. So it's not ignored, it gets a lot of attention.

I've taken him myself to the trail. Well, the ex and I mended a while ago and we go hiking and such together often so it would be me or us 2 with the dog. I never had a problem with him. Just the normal over excitement he has with me which I can't get to stop as I'm just an occasional visitor and can't do anything with him. Finally get a chance to go hiking/walking with my daughter and he went bananas about other dogs. I think because she was with him. I had a harness with a handle on it on his back that I had a hold of along with the leash and he was a handful. That's when I said to her, she shouldn't be brining him down to the trail to walk.

I wish I could post a picture of my daughter because she's 5'6" and I have a picture of him sitting next to her on the couch and their heads are even height.
I get the picture. It’s good that they get him out a lot, as long as he’s under control. People walking him may have to anticipate that he may go after people or other dogs so you can head that off at the pass by telling him to “leave it” when you see him *thinking about it*. Redirect his behavior then (carrying a ball in his mouth sometimes helps), then praise when he does things well. A harness may not be the best way to do this with this type of dog. And no retractable leashes. He needs a good leather leash.

Dogs often left in yards alone get frustrated, especially a working type dog. People come by the fence, they go nuts, and that person goes away. In dogs mind, they won. When in reality it may just be the mailman (who has an inherent right to be there). Day after day of that and it becomes sort of ingrained, and the dog is proud of himself. The tricky part is to not let them have that type of reaction, but the key is that you have to be there to direct it, and practice with it, etc.

I have a great Christmas gift for your daughter, a book called Good Owners, Great Dogs. You can pick it up on Amazon pretty cheap (from somewhere it will come before the holiday) or if you know of any used bookstores they often have a copy in there. It’s older, but makes a lot of sense when it comes to understanding your dog and working with them to make them a good member of your household and society. Maybe read it yourself, too, since maybe you can be the one to really help here. There can be a lot of liability if a bite occurs, and bad things happen then. Im sure your daughter wouldn’t want to have to deal with that. Good luck! He sounds like he could make headway with the right guidance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter