"could I have another glow cube?" - spring 2017 DR - COMPLETE 8/17 Homecoming

Yup, my sisters commute has also doubled and she is not happy :headache: She normally works from home 4 days a week but right before the fire she got a new interim COO, who is having her come to the office three days every week so it really sucks for her driving in from Alpharetta. She's hoping this woman's "interim" is over soon!
Those views from the rooftop of Paddlefish really are gorgeous. We also all enjoyed Fultons so hopefully we'll get to Paddlefish one of these days and like it just as much.

Neither of us really cared for the buffalo dressing, which is usually what would appeal to me the most. The garlic ranch was good also, but I really preferred the chipotle.

I didn't really like the buffalo dressing as much, and I thought I would too. I like the garlic ranch or just plain.

This is pretty much what I am thinking of when I crave a burger. The buns were light and buttery as well.

So good. :p

D-Luxe has not upstaged the fabulous Crew's Cup burger for me, though. (Can I get an amen @nco91590)

I can't wait to try Crew Cup!

Great start to your April trip!

NZltzSel.png

Wow, what a view!! Marking this one on my list. I could seriously go to WDW and hang out/drink around/eat around DS every night.

AiedxMyl.png

(photo borrowed from the internet)

Oh, the calamity!! Has traffic improved at all!?

BESSOhJl.png

Isn't he cute?

:love: Adorable!

pEqxY0sl.png

R was doing the reverse of what I'd done, and picked a signature cocktail for his second drink. This is the Southern Sangria ($15) - Medley Bros. Bourbon, peach liqueur, Tempranillo, seasonal fruit. He let me try this and we both loved it! Admittedly we both love red wine and bourbon, so this was right up our respective alleys. I have never had a drink quite like this so it was cool to experience something unique. The red wine gave this an interesting depth of flavor, and coupled with the bourbon it was a very boozy drink. It was not at all what I'd call a "sweet" drink but the peach liqueur finished the flavors with a nice round sweetness. I'd get that next time.

Ooh, these drinks sound fabulous! Although, I will balk at the $15-17 price tag :crazy2: Although it seems like if you're getting any type of a "Signature" cocktail at Disney you're looking at at least $12ish.

VmIvn7Sl.png

The fine print is tiny, but it says "All duos are served with one regular fry and two fountain beverages", so if you were going to get those items anyway you could save $6.50 or so (more if you were getting two southern burgers)!

Nice! I don't think we saw this deal when we were there in January. Not bad.

These were the fries we'd been imagining at Paddlefish! They were very good, especially as potatoey vessels for those tasty dipping sauces. I thought the chipotle mayo tasted like Chick-Fil-A spicy dressing, which is my favorite condiment there. Neither of us really cared for the buffalo dressing, which is usually what would appeal to me the most. The garlic ranch was good also, but I really preferred the chipotle.

I thought those crab fries looked/sounded awesome but I'm with you on this one. A hand-cut (even if it was frozen!?) fry would've made it for me.

This was actually a very good burger, maybe not $9.99 good, but it's Disney prices. I thought this tasted like a delicious ballpark hamburger (that is to say, nothing fancy, but executed well). I added mustard and thought the burger was perfect. This is pretty much what I am thinking of when I crave a burger. The buns were light and buttery as well.

Exactly how I'd put it. I have had way better "gourmet"-ish burgers but these are pretty good for a QS burger.

There are some great views from the rooftop area!

NZltzSel.png

Wow, that is gorgeous! DH & I ate at Fulton's once a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Can you order from the full menu at the rooftop bar?

3VwS4Lrl.png

These were the fries we'd been imagining at Paddlefish!

YUM!!!

I don't know that D-Luxe lived up to the gushing accolades I'd read and heard about it, but it was definitely a solid option and a great addition to Disney Springs. I would certainly come back in the future if I was craving a burger!

That's a good statement. Everyone seems to be raving about it, and I'm a little "Really? It's a burger..." But if you want a burger, good to know it's a good one!

What a fun start to your trip! The views from the top of Paddlefish look stunning, which is a good thing since something needs to distract you from the price of those cocktails. o_O Yikes! They did look and sound delicious, though.

You have convinced me that a to-go drink from Homecoming is a must-do in September. Not that I needed a lot of arm twisting on that one ;)

I totally want to try D-Luxe but honestly, I cannot cram one more meal into our itinerary. Maybe Sean and I will just have to grab some fries......

Anyway, glad your next review is in the works so I can sit here at my desk and drool over all the delicious food and drinks. Can't wait to have my stupid vegetable soup for lunch.

Yay to starting your next DR! Back to the last installment of your previous report, that really stinks that your service was so poor at San Angel Inn! I would have been livid! I don't mind spending good money on food, but when I feel like I've been ripped off, or treated poorly, that just pisses me off! I've been really lucky in that all the times we've eaten there, we've never had any complaints with the food or the service. I can not believe you didn't get chips & salsa because you "only" ordered appetizers & drinks! How did this server know that you weren't going to order more drinks, in essence, possibly equaling or surpassing the total bill had you only ordered entrees and not appetizers & drinks? Geeze! Sorry your F&G apps & drink from the Jardin de Fiestas weren't good. I think we'll steer clear of that booth on our upcoming Girls' Trip, which is now two weeks away from today!!!:yay:

I definitely want to try to make it to Paddlefish's top deck this trip! The view looks amazing! Good to know D-Luxe Burger is open late! We'll be arriving to SSR around 9:30-10pm on May 3rd, and may just have to run over to Disney Springs to grab a bite to eat! We ate there for the first & only time on our last trip, and my burger was so so good! We tried all the dippings sauces, as why not? It was so fun tasting them all, but for the life of me I can't remember which ones I liked and which I didn't. Oh, and what did you think of the avocado margarita in Mexico? Every trip I say I'm getting one, and then the $14.50 price tag scares me off, because what if I don't like it? I'm not above just dumping it if I hate it, and that just kills me to waste that kind of money on a drink that I didn't even drink.

First off, I wanted to say your San Angel Inn experience sounds so disappointing! I can't believe you got that kind of service. What a lousy server. I'm glad the manager sort of made it up to you. The only time I have eaten there was in Sept. 2014 and I enjoyed it. We ate at an off time and the restaurant was really empty so my sister and I were the only ones and we got very attentive service. We definitely got the chips n salsa, LOL. I actually have an ADR here for mid may with DH. I'm going to have to double-check the menu to see if it's still worth going to. I will probably just go because we haven't been for a while and DH hasn't been ever, so maybe he'll see if it's worth a return trip in the future.

What a fun trip! I love your flower headband/ears....so spring-y!

now onto your new trip...

Those fries look good at Paddlefish, but I guess they looked better than they tasted? I'm allergic to some crab so I probably wouldn't get those. Can't risk being sick at disney!
I am also a fan of mai tais and the one you had sounds really good!

D-luxe burger looks pretty good, I'll have to keep that as an option at Disney Springs!

Thank you!!! So glad you read along and enjoyed the reviews. I always aim to share something in my reports that would be helpful so I am very honored that you shared with your friend :flower3: I have not tried a DCL cruise but that sounds like it would be an amazing girls trip!!

There is a La Cava review coming up here in the April report and I have nothing but nice things to say about that experience. I am more an apps and drinks girl in a Mexican restaurant anyway so La Cava serves my purposes nicely. I don't want to influence anyone not to try San Angel since you can have an off night or a bad server anywhere but it's hard to recommend San Angel Inn over La Cava! And if you go to Food and Wine you'll need to ration tummy space anyway! :drinking1

She agreed that we definitely need to up our game :) I'm really looking forward to checking out La Cava--I must admit I'm not 100% sold on the idea of an avocado marg, but we'll see. I love avocados, but the thickness thing might get to me. Looking forward to the review in the April report!

Sounds like a great first night just you and R!

I love that Homecomin' has to-go drinks! I wish I had taken advantage of that while we were there!

The avocado variety tastes a bit like a pixie stick to me.
Now that description has me super confused. Maybe I will just have to get both and taste test!

Ahhh!! I have a planned DS bar crawl night for my girls trip in July and I think your review just convinced me that Paddlefish needs to be on that list! Those fries look amazing!!!

Hey @pepperandchips - I don't usually come over here to the Dining board but just saw your post and wanted to say I hope you had a great trip!

(And that highway is KILLING me too....)

:wave:

I feel bad for you, as it looks like Atlanta is legit crumbling before our eyes. I lived there for two years, and I swear the only reason I didn't lose my mind was because I didn't have to ever get on the interstate unless I was driving home or going to the airport.

We stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek again this trip, as it really works for our family set up. Normally we stay in a two bedroom unit, which is like a two bedroom condo, and I paid my highest rate ever for this stay - $180/night, taxes included. Which translates to less than what we could have booked a 5-person moderate Disney onsite room for. Not that my family would EVER survive having 5 people in a standard hotel room. Nope. :scared: We'd have needed 3 of those which would have totally blown the budget! Anyway, it was another great stay and I am glad we chose WBC for this trip. Here's the view from our balcony this time:

G3fsJEEl.png
Wow, what a great price for a 2 bedroom suite!!! Almost makes me want to stay off property. Almost :P

We got on the road a little before 2:00 pm and were passing under this beauty at 8:10

8KlSZyql.png
Road closures aside, you are so lucky to live so close. Of course I'm not sure my poor wallet could take it if we were in driving distance.

The cocktails are a little pricy but the bar staff seems to actually craft these with a lot of care and attention to detail, so the price doesn't hurt as bad since you're getting quality. This wouldn't be an every-trip thing for me since I think the prices are about 50% higher than they ought to be. Still, for a nice splurge, we loved the atmosphere.
We hit Paddlefish on our last trip and I thought the same thing. Great quality and variety, but the prices were just way too inflated. Especially when you consider some of the awesomeness that is Tiffins is half the price.

Y3S8QBVl.png

Crab Fries ($14) Hand cut potatoes, lump blue crab, spicy Louie dressing. Louie dressing is basically mayonnaise, chili sauce, and seasonings. I thought these fries had a massive amount of crab! It was great quality lump crab also, and tasted very light and delicate. I thought the flavors of this dish worked well together and who doesn't love a big ol' bowl of fries? They were great and I think that the price on these (ironically several dollars less than my cocktail) was very fair for the amount of good quality crab you get. R was not a huge fan of the type of fries - there was nothing wrong with them, but I think he was expecting hand cut fries and these just seemed like frozen fries.
And what do ya know, we tried these little beauties too.

3VwS4Lrl.png

These were the fries we'd been imagining at Paddlefish! They were very good, especially as potatoey vessels for those tasty dipping sauces. I thought the chipotle mayo tasted like Chick-Fil-A spicy dressing, which is my favorite condiment there. Neither of us really cared for the buffalo dressing, which is usually what would appeal to me the most. The garlic ranch was good also, but I really preferred the chipotle.
Oh these look so good. Totally remind me of 5 guys fries.

X6Nhr5ll.png

This was actually a very good burger, maybe not $9.99 good, but it's Disney prices. I thought this tasted like a delicious ballpark hamburger (that is to say, nothing fancy, but executed well). I added mustard and thought the burger was perfect. This is pretty much what I am thinking of when I crave a burger. The buns were light and buttery as well.
I gotta say for all the hype Deluxe is getting this doesn't look like that impressive of a burger.

I believe I took this picture to remind myself that I had the bootlegger, which seems right as I think I was trying to stick with rum (despite the beer with my burger). It's $12 and described as RumShine and dark rum, blackberry jam, house-made grenadine, simple syrup, lime juice. I remember liking this but I didn't take any notes, so I'm sorry about that.

OVFcy5el.png
Drink to go????? How did I not know they did this!!! Totally have to remember to get one next time

View attachment 232130

Hahahah! Omg that squirrel. Dang you had lots of bevies! #disneyspringsgoals
Haha! You are an absolute maven at finding memes and gifs. I love our progressive drinking dinners at Disney Springs!

Yup, my sisters commute has also doubled and she is not happy :headache: She normally works from home 4 days a week but right before the fire she got a new interim COO, who is having her come to the office three days every week so it really sucks for her driving in from Alpharetta. She's hoping this woman's "interim" is over soon!
Wow, that lady sounds like a pleasure. Although perhaps it is a reflection on how valuable your sister is to the organization that the COO needs her there more!

Those views from the rooftop of Paddlefish really are gorgeous. We also all enjoyed Fultons so hopefully we'll get to Paddlefish one of these days and like it just as much.
I did notice there was lobster corn dogs still on the menu! And a "tower" item like I enjoyed at Fulton's with my mom the first and last time we went. Definitely not an every visit restaurant but I think if I go back down with my mom any time soon we'll go back to Paddlefish, as she absolutely loves seafood.

I can't wait to try Crew Cup!
It has been too long since I've been there myself. Can we all just move to WDW already?

Wow, what a view!! Marking this one on my list. I could seriously go to WDW and hang out/drink around/eat around DS every night.
Me too girl! I won't get to go to Disney World at all over the summer unless I can promise either my mom or R that we will do a no-parks trip and spend a bunch of time at the pool. Which would be fine with me, I'll just stay near DS and make food the vacation! haha.

Oh, the calamity!! Has traffic improved at all!?
Um, nope :headache: my commute home is at LEAST an hour every day (it is 6.3 miles...) But allegedly the work will be done on the bridge by early summer. I am hoping Atlanta isn't using the Disney definition of "summer"

Ooh, these drinks sound fabulous! Although, I will balk at the $15-17 price tag :crazy2: Although it seems like if you're getting any type of a "Signature" cocktail at Disney you're looking at at least $12ish.
That's why I am such a proponent of the Tables in Wonderland card - $12 becomes $9.60 which is MUCH more palatable. Unfortunately $15 only gets discounted to $12 which is still rather high... so while I loved the atmosphere at Paddlefish it's probably better just to get one drink or maybe take a break from the drinking there!

I thought those crab fries looked/sounded awesome but I'm with you on this one. A hand-cut (even if it was frozen!?) fry would've made it for me.
And what was so weird was that the menu claimed they were hand cut... I mean, if "hand cut" means "a person with hands put these through a mechanical cutting mechanism" then yes I believe they were hand cut...

Wow, that is gorgeous! DH & I ate at Fulton's once a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Can you order from the full menu at the rooftop bar?
We were not offered the full menu but in fairness it was already after 9:00. There were definitely parties sitting at "regular" tables up there (not sure if they are self-seating or if the hostess seats those) who had ordered entrees from the full menu. So, in short - I have no idea! :laughing:

That's a good statement. Everyone seems to be raving about it, and I'm a little "Really? It's a burger..." But if you want a burger, good to know it's a good one!
Yeah, I wanted to provide that perspective because what I heard before this was the rave reviews. (Not from here on the Dining board, but more like in podcasts and stuff) Don't get me wrong - I definitely prefer the hamburgers at D-Luxe to the hamburgers at Cosmic Ray's, but D-Luxe didn't have Sonny Eclipse. :rotfl:

What a fun start to your trip! The views from the top of Paddlefish look stunning, which is a good thing since something needs to distract you from the price of those cocktails. o_O Yikes! They did look and sound delicious, though.
Delicious, yes! Worth the price tag... :rolleyes1 maybe. For a special occasion, yes! Because let's be honest, you're paying for that gorgeous view :cloud9:

You have convinced me that a to-go drink from Homecoming is a must-do in September. Not that I needed a lot of arm twisting on that one ;)
We can't seem to stay away. It's definitely our kinda place. You can also get to-go dessert, just saying!

I totally want to try D-Luxe but honestly, I cannot cram one more meal into our itinerary. Maybe Sean and I will just have to grab some fries......

Anyway, glad your next review is in the works so I can sit here at my desk and drool over all the delicious food and drinks. Can't wait to have my stupid vegetable soup for lunch.
I know, that is ALWAYS my problem reading dining reviews. I am trying to eat healthy at home and then someone posts a review of some delicious breakfast item and I'm like okay how many carbs are in banana foster french toast :rotfl:

I don't think you should feel bad if you miss D-Luxe this time. There are plenty of "next times"!

Yay to starting your next DR! Back to the last installment of your previous report, that really stinks that your service was so poor at San Angel Inn! I would have been livid! I don't mind spending good money on food, but when I feel like I've been ripped off, or treated poorly, that just pisses me off! I've been really lucky in that all the times we've eaten there, we've never had any complaints with the food or the service. I can not believe you didn't get chips & salsa because you "only" ordered appetizers & drinks! How did this server know that you weren't going to order more drinks, in essence, possibly equaling or surpassing the total bill had you only ordered entrees and not appetizers & drinks? Geeze! Sorry your F&G apps & drink from the Jardin de Fiestas weren't good. I think we'll steer clear of that booth on our upcoming Girls' Trip, which is now two weeks away from today!!!:yay:
I know, I could not figure out why he was so cranky with us. Oh well, everyone has a bad day now and again so I will assume he was just having one. So exciting that your trip is now less than two weeks out! There are soooo many other great things to eat and drink I don't think you would miss Jardin de Fiestas!

I definitely want to try to make it to Paddlefish's top deck this trip! The view looks amazing! Good to know D-Luxe Burger is open late! We'll be arriving to SSR around 9:30-10pm on May 3rd, and may just have to run over to Disney Springs to grab a bite to eat! We ate there for the first & only time on our last trip, and my burger was so so good! We tried all the dippings sauces, as why not? It was so fun tasting them all, but for the life of me I can't remember which ones I liked and which I didn't.
I love that Disney Springs is open late too because sometimes I feel like the resorts tend to roll up the sidewalks pretty early. We normally hit the Sanaa lounge if we arrive at Disney late, but Disney Springs proved to be a great alternative this trip! There was lots still open. And no reason not to try all the dipping sauces again!

Oh, and what did you think of the avocado margarita in Mexico? Every trip I say I'm getting one, and then the $14.50 price tag scares me off, because what if I don't like it? I'm not above just dumping it if I hate it, and that just kills me to waste that kind of money on a drink that I didn't even drink.
It's funny, it sounds weirder or scarier than it really is. I don't know if you drink much at home but I found a video of the crew from La Cava making the margarita, so you could always try one at home!
I think what makes it taste like candy to me is the midori melon liqueur and the agave nectar. I think it's delicious and not too strange! Plus you could always "scalp" it for ten bucks if you take a sip and don't care for it :rotfl2: (just kidding obviously)

First off, I wanted to say your San Angel Inn experience sounds so disappointing! I can't believe you got that kind of service. What a lousy server. I'm glad the manager sort of made it up to you. The only time I have eaten there was in Sept. 2014 and I enjoyed it. We ate at an off time and the restaurant was really empty so my sister and I were the only ones and we got very attentive service. We definitely got the chips n salsa, LOL. I actually have an ADR here for mid may with DH. I'm going to have to double-check the menu to see if it's still worth going to. I will probably just go because we haven't been for a while and DH hasn't been ever, so maybe he'll see if it's worth a return trip in the future.
Wow your meal with your sister is much more what I was envisioning! I know we just had a one-off bad experience since so many other folks have either enjoyed or at least tolerated their meals at San Angel. I was really surprised by the menu change but I think it's updated on AllEars. I definitely don't want my experience to sway anyone not to go in the future!

What a fun trip! I love your flower headband/ears....so spring-y!
:thanks:

Those fries look good at Paddlefish, but I guess they looked better than they tasted? I'm allergic to some crab so I probably wouldn't get those. Can't risk being sick at disney!
I am also a fan of mai tais and the one you had sounds really good!

D-luxe burger looks pretty good, I'll have to keep that as an option at Disney Springs!
Well I won't talk up the fries too much since you are allergic but they were definitely tasty! The mai tai was really good and a fun option for an "official welcome to vacation" drink!

She agreed that we definitely need to up our game :) I'm really looking forward to checking out La Cava--I must admit I'm not 100% sold on the idea of an avocado marg, but we'll see. I love avocados, but the thickness thing might get to me. Looking forward to the review in the April report!
I mentioned it above but if you are like me and just skim the replies for your part :teeth::teeth::teeth: I will repost it here too:
. It's very slightly creamy but from watching this video there's really not that much avocado in there. It's tasty! Maybe you guys could share one to start and see if you like it?

Sounds like a great first night just you and R!
It was. It's always nice for us to have a little date night when we're on a family vacation with everybody. Paddlefish is a great date locale!

I love that Homecomin' has to-go drinks! I wish I had taken advantage of that while we were there!
I know, it's so funny that Disney Springs almost looks like a town, so I think "oh we need to finish these drinks" but really you can totally walk around with whatever you want! There are signs up by the parking garage escalators that tell you for sure where your alchohol needs to be finished by, but otherwise the to go option is totally overlooked I think.

Now that description has me super confused. Maybe I will just have to get both and taste test!
Yes! It's apparently got melon liqueur (I think that's the pixie stick flavor I'm picking up), orange liqueur, agave, tequila, avocado, and lime juice. It's sweet but also has a few different fruit flavors so it's like candy! Yummy.
However, I always support a taste test! :flower3:

Okay, that video convinced me, I am definitely getting an Avocado Margarita on our trip, which is now only 10 days away!!! I shared the video with my sister & my bff via Facebook, so they can plan on getting one with me, or they can try something different, but it is now definitely on the itinerary!

Ahhh!! I have a planned DS bar crawl night for my girls trip in July and I think your review just convinced me that Paddlefish needs to be on that list! Those fries look amazing!!!
Yes! I would definitely recommend Paddlefish as a stop for a drink and an app! The view is just gorgeous. We really loved the fries and there were several other apps I would have liked to try also!!

...also can I be invited?:rotfl:

Hey @pepperandchips - I don't usually come over here to the Dining board but just saw your post and wanted to say I hope you had a great trip!

(And that highway is KILLING me too....)

:wave:
:wave2: @GADisneyDad14 so glad you dropped by to say hello! It's so funny how folks from your "crossover" threads get to feel like old friends. We did have a wonderful trip! Did you already go on your April WDW vacation? I bet that was an amazing stay. I love GF and we can't wait to stay at the villas in October! Here's hoping for good commute karma for you :hippie:

I feel bad for you, as it looks like Atlanta is legit crumbling before our eyes. I lived there for two years, and I swear the only reason I didn't lose my mind was because I didn't have to ever get on the interstate unless I was driving home or going to the airport.
Oh my gosh, you're not kidding. Before the road collapse, I would take the interstate to work, but surface streets home. Now I have no choice :scared: I was raised in the Atlanta 'burbs so I am well acquainted with the traffic insanity but this is a new level of crazy!

Wow, what a great price for a 2 bedroom suite!!! Almost makes me want to stay off property. Almost :P
Yeah, I would not be staying here if I only got to come once or twice a year. I love the WDW resorts too much (and of course that's why Disney can charge an arm and a leg). Normally we could get WBC for around $130 a night for a 2 bedroom but spring break prices prevailed...

Road closures aside, you are so lucky to live so close. Of course I'm not sure my poor wallet could take it if we were in driving distance.
I know, I definitely suffer financially due to my ability to rationalize the 6 hour drive. If there's any type of long weekend/day off from work scenario, my happy little butt wants to make the drive! Bye bye dollars :wave2:

We hit Paddlefish on our last trip and I thought the same thing. Great quality and variety, but the prices were just way too inflated. Especially when you consider some of the awesomeness that is Tiffins is half the price.
Well now that you put it that way, does that mean I can use Disney math to rationalize having every meal at Tiffins? :laughing:

And what do ya know, we tried these little beauties too.
I am so not surprised. I think some of us on the dining boards could totally order for each other!

Oh these look so good. Totally remind me of 5 guys fries.
Very good comparison! I love Five Guys and haven't been there in years and now I am not sure why...

I gotta say for all the hype Deluxe is getting this doesn't look like that impressive of a burger.
Yeah, it was fine. It wasn't like the best burger I ever had but it was very very far from bad. It was just a nice, solid quick service burger!

Drink to go????? How did I not know they did this!!! Totally have to remember to get one next time
Um yeah, the to go beverage option is a contributing factor to our experiencing Homecoming on every single trip. Their cocktails are so good and then coupled with the TIW card (that I know you guys love too) how can you rationalize NOT getting these puppies? ;)

4/1: Our First Full Day, With Epcot Flower and Garden booths!

The next morning R and I got up (not totally at the crack of dawn, but) fairly early. We drove to the park and got there a little after opening. The first thing we did was grab what I thought was a pretty cool photopass shot:

03QurUDl.png

Haven't seen this one before, but the photopass guy had a fisheye lens on so the pictures he got were unique and not something I could capture with any of my cameras/lenses/phone.

Rl7BJ9Cl.png

We then rode Spaceship Earth, a perennial favorite of mine. We hit Soarin' and then it was time to get down to business (but not to defeat the Huns). First up, naturally, was the Canada beer cart where I grabbed us a couple of La Fin du Mondes. I'm sure you're all shocked.

nxYYWxFl.png

I sent R to the Northern Bloom booth to try something new:

YQheUGtl.png

Seared Scallops with French Green Beans, Butter Potatoes, Brown Butter Vinaigrette and Applewood Smoked Bacon ($6.25). Scallops aren't my thing due to their dense yet wiggly texture, but R said that they were good. I tried the potatoes and green beans and found them pretty bland. The texture of the green beans was what I'd call "hotel ballroom" - which is to say probably previously frozen and a little squeaky. $6 is not a bad price point for this as scallops are a more expensive dish anywhere.This was a miss for me but I'm not the target audience anyway.

We also had the other savory dish offered there:

eZI6Pqsl.png

Beef Tenderloin Tips, Mushroom Bordelaise Sauce, Whipped Potatoes with Garden Vegetables ($6.50). These were okay but they weren't anything unique or adventurous, and the day was already starting to warm up, so the stew type texture already put this dish behind sheerly based on the weather. Our beef tips were pretty tough despite not being overcooked, so I think it just wasn't a great cut of beef. I did like the mashed potatoes. However, this was a hearty portion if that is of concern to you. This was a "meh" for me.

cvFh1lul.png

The whole Northern Bloom booth seems to be more suited for Food and Wine than it does for Flower and Garden. There wasn't much offered here that fit with the garden-fresh theme, and the foods were more winter comfort foods to me than they were showpieces of fresh produce.

R9yA9GIl.png

We spent some time admiring Tink and the fairy houses, moved here from near the butterfly garden in years past.

3feOyM9l.png

I can't describe how gorgeous and perfect the springtime weather was this day. Of course we needed more tasty food to fully appreciate the festival, so we ventured on and experienced my favorite booth again (sorry for the re-review but the pictures are better)

Of course the Carne Asada continued to be my favorite dish of the festival. Fresh, light tomato pico de gallo and tangy sour cream top a savory and decadent serving of moist shredded beef, all atop a spicy and flavorful hearty black bean cake. This is delicious and also a good serving size.

EG37qvxl.png

Carne Asada with Black Bean Cake and Cilantro Lime Sour Cream – $6.50

My beloved had not experienced any of these dishes, so we had to grab another repeat hit:

a81Yci5l.png

Shrimp and Stone-ground Grits with Andouille Sausage, Sweet Corn , Tomatoes and Cilantro – $6.50. Another large portion, this dish nears perfection for me. I would order shrimp and grits in a restaurant so being able to get a small portion and keep snacking is an ideal situation for Melinda. The ham mixture is salty and lends a richness to the already creamy and delicious, perfectly prepared grits. Our shrimp weren't overcooked and also had a nice flavor. Big hit!

And finally, something you all haven't seen yet in this particular dining report:

E8jZ366l.png

Key Lime Tart with Toasted Meringue – $4.25.

nNc3tKVl.png

This thing was pretty large, as well as rich and decadent. The graham cracker crust was sweet and crumbly perfection, though it was of the soft variety of crust rather than the crunchy sort. The actual lime filling was very good - a nice blend between tart and sweet, which is hard to master sometimes. The meringue didn't add much other than a little visual beauty, but it certainly didn't take away from the flavor in any way. We both thought the key lime tart was creamy and very tasty. Definitely a good use of four bucks!

pglORvWl.png

Speaking of a good use of your money, you KNOW I had a La Vie en Rose from the France booth as soon as I was done with my beer. This time my pretty beverage was posing with the Beauty and the Beast topiaries. Again, there was maybe one couple in front of us in line for the booth. I guess you need to start coming to WDW on our schedule, @nco91590!

We headed off again in search of one of our usual favorite booths, the Smokehouse: Barbecues and Brews, always featured in the America pavilion. One of the chefs was checking the smoker and another guest asked her to open it, and she did!

ztmMsAkl.png

It smelled sooooo good. So of course we had to take the opportunity to try something from that big ol' smoker! I don't know why it actually surprised me that they cook the food on it. I guess I figured it was coming from a kitchen somewhere. Anyway...

eoFNjIGl.png

The Pulled Pig Slider with Coleslaw and Crispy Onions ($6) was our first item. As usual, this was a big hit! It's either a very LARGE slider or a smallish sandwich, depending on your perspective. The tangy coleslaw topping the richness of pork makes a tasty combo.

I was so excited to order my favorite dish from previous festivals:

EwX7jOPl.png

Beef Brisket Burnt Ends Hash with White Cheddar Fondue and Pickled Jalapeños – $6.25

Well guys, everyone can have an off day and unfortunately the Smokehouse was having an off day with this dish. Look closely - can you see just how BURNT our burnt ends were?! They were basically charcoal and were completely inedible. Like crumbled in your mouth leaving an overwhelming taste of ash. It was pretty gross. R was no longer interested after the first bite so I just removed the brisket (sob... :() and ate the potatoes. Oh, and FYI I had asked for extra jalapeno, in case that is off-putting for you from the photo. Of course I was disappointed but some of my Dis friends have confirmed theirs were not like this, so we just got a bad one. Oh well.

We continued our stroll and I grabbed a photo of a vignette I hadn't noticed before in the miniature train set over by Germany

SVNn2pXl.png

Disney is self-aware sometimes, and I loved that even the train set was under construction... haha!

It was getting warm by this point and we were ready to go check out our resort pool, but we enjoyed the sights on the way out of the park.

eyuUcyrl.png

5zX3uDEl.png

Are these guys new? They were so cute! I love the use of the Three Caballeros in Epcot since they get so little love elsewhere.

SbF8KwIl.png

Bye, Figment, see you later!

Up next: My first Dismeet! Or, how I catfished @Vernie822

Last edited:
Seems like you had some great luck at the booths! Sorry you had a bust on your burnt ends as mine were great both times I got it. That luck thing just doesn't work well sometimes! My friend loved that Key Lime as well! Glad it was a hit for you too!

I think whoever sets up the Germany/Italy trains has to have the best sense of humor for some of the set ups they have sometimes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!