Costa Maya and malaria

km2all

Earning My Ears
Well, I went to give blood today and one of the questions is about being out of the US or Canada in the last three years. So, I asked about Mexico and they said it depends on where in Mexico. They called up the Red Cross list and Cozumel is fine but Costa Maya is on the malaria risk list. :scared1: I won't be able to give blood for 12 months after our cruise in May of next year. :sad2: Just thought I would pass this one for anyone heading in that direction next year.

I think this is also true if you take a "mainland" excursion from Cozumel. Although the risk is slight, if you have been in that part of Mexico you cannot give blood for a year.

so wear a good bug repellent! They provided one on our excursion there, but I'll admit I was a bit leary of a Mexican-produced product--it might have had a large amount of pesticide in it. BUT I figured better than malaria...bring your own from home ( I recommend Deep woods off--highest Deet allowed, I believe), to avoid the worry.
Happy cruising!
Kris

My hubby couldn't give blood after our DCL trip to Costa Maya for a year. Now we are going on the Panama Canal repo cruise and he won't be able to give for another year. Makes him sad. He loves to help out!

And according to one trip report, there are some large vicious mosquitos in the canal area. Although passengers were told there was no risk, I'm bringing my bug spray.

We, too, are headed to Costa Maya in Nov. of 2006 and being a registered nurse who frequently gives blood....I have been interested in feedback on this very topic! And of all things, I have O- blood....the universal donor who they love! Bummer, I guess?! :guilty:

Dis-Nurse...just be sure to give just before you leave on your trip then there will be the minimum time until you can give again. DD also is sad about the restriction since she likes to give but as crew she goes to Costa Maya and went through the Panama Canal so I guess she won't be giving until she finds a shoreside job. HOWEVER, I think we are all grateful that our blood banks take such care to keep our blood supply safe. Guess you folks who cruise the Wonder will have to step up to the plate to give blood more often.

kcashner said:
And according to one trip report, there are some large vicious mosquitos in the canal area. Although passengers were told there was no risk, I'm bringing my bug spray.

Wow that's interesting about the "large vicious mosquitos" in the canal area...mosquitos usually hunt me out...I didn't find that there were any bugs when we were going through the canal (or in any port, come to think of it)...maybe I was just lucky but I was with a large a group I don't recall anyone talking about being bitten....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter