Cost of local travel - eeek!

ozliz

DIS Veteran
Anyone else trying to do the whole support local and travel within Australia and finding that all the justifications I’ve been using for the cost of Disney been very true? All the times I think of how expensive Disney is and then justify it by thinking of how much is included are so true. While I’ve always known that travel within Australia is expensive, I haven’t done it extensively for quite a few years outside of the weekend here or there in the bigger cities. Trying to do all the serious touristy things anywhere is expensive. I’m thinking of a week in the Cairns or Port Douglas area over winter as I haven’t been there in over 10 years. Although there’s cheap flights at the moment, adding up a nicer hotel (wanting a resort relaxing feeling), hire car, snorkelling or other entertainment / sight seeing, etc. it’s all getting up there with Disney costs. I’m a pretty good bargain hunter when it comes to travel, I love finding a good deal but at the moment it’s a matter of finding something that’s open, not fully booked and has flexibility in case borders slam shut again is really hard. What is everyone else’s experience?

Most places in Australia are now into price gouging and the level of service does not compare to Disney. Most places overseas are far better customer service.

In June last year we booked on a Murray River cruise for May this year. Then we discovered late in the year a tour group had booked the whole cruise and we were gazumped and told we would have to go at a different time and the price would go up. True story. Then they refused to give us a refund. The manager handling the problem was very rude and said what is your problem. We eventually got a refund but will not be going with that business again.

I do not mind paying the money for the extra places are charging but we are learning where to go.

Last year in October we spent a few nights at Lightning Ridge in a cabin at the caravan park. The staff treated everyone well and the park and tourist places were excellent.

I agree. We live in Brisbane so lots of places a drive away but as soon as its interstate it's crazy expensive. A friend of ours went to Tokyo in 2019 when they had flight specials on and it worked out cheaper than holidaying in Melbourne lol

Yes, you can often ski in NZ or Japan cheaper than you can ski here. But do remember that Australians enjoy a high standard of living which means people in hospitality are paid higher wages than their counterparts in places like the USA. This also means those of us privileged enough to travel regularly also enjoy higher wages as a result of our standard of living.
Those people offering supposedly better service in the US do it for a reason which we don’t have to bother with. Plus I’ve had plenty of instances of poor service when in the US and I often find it very disingenuous anyway. I remember renting a cabana at Volcano Bay and the salaried people checking us in kept us waiting nearly 45 minutes before getting us to the cabana, wasting the time we had paid for. Then the unpaid guy who was our server (only worked for tips) was absolutely brilliant. He was obviously motivated to be but we had a lot of fun and laughter with Bernard and I actually met up with him and his friends at Halloween Horror nights later that evening.
So see Australia and don’t compare the pricing to other destinations globally. The higher prices you pay are because you are getting paid more yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter