Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

mandadh09

Earning My Ears
Anyone else a little nervous about this? I leave for a cruise in a week, my excitement is now turning into a little bit of anxiety. We are only going to the Bahamas, I plan on packing extra Lysol wipes and hand sanitizer. We are traveling by plane, so that worries me too with all the germs. Any other tips!?

Anyone else a little nervous about this? I leave for a cruise in a week, my excitement is now turning into a little bit of anxiety. We are only going to the Bahamas, I plan on packing extra Lysol wipes and hand sanitizer. We are traveling by plane, so that worries me too with all the germs. Any other tips!?

Not really. China is cracking down and shutting down the cities where outbreaks are known and measures in areas where it is rampant are being taken (Shanghai Disney is closed until further notice for example). Until we hear of it spreading outside of China, I'm not stressing.

We flew into NYC yesterday. I just wiped the seats and trays down with Clorox wipes. A lot of people walking around the city with medical masks.
We are hand washing and hand sanitizing as much as possible.
That’s about all you can do for prevention

There have been confirmed cases in the US, so I think caution is warranted, but I would not change plans. Be aggressive about hand-washing.

Guidance from the CDC. https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/health/coronavirus-us-precautions/index.html

This makes me feel a little better, I tend to be a worrywart! This is our first Disney cruise :)

My one experience on the DCL:

They are clean freaks on the ship! You can't go into Cabanas without washing your hands - and they hand out hand sanitizers as you walk into each restaurant at night (except they didn't do this at Palo). The ship is CLEAN - impressively so.

They are very concerned about virus spreading - I hope this makes you feel even a little bit better :)

I work in the infectious disease field and I think there's a lot of hype for nothing about this virus here in North America (for now). So far China seems to be doing a very good job at quarantine and trying to stop propagation. I would be a lot more worried about regular influenza that kills thousands of people every year and the nasty norovirus on cruises than the new coronavirus. Washing your hands regularly is the best way to prevent catching any respiratory disease.

We flew into NYC yesterday. I just wiped the seats and trays down with Clorox wipes. A lot of people walking around the city with medical masks.
We are hand washing and hand sanitizing as much as possible.
That’s about all you can do for prevention
AGREED! Definitely need to wipe down/sanitize your plane seats/trays/armrests--most ppl tend to forget that.
and on the ship most important thing to do is wash your hands w/soap & water all the time. you can wipe down/sanitize in room doorknobs, remotes, phones, light switches--things that come in contact often.

Wash your hands with soap and water every chance you get starting now. I also agree the flu is what you should probably be worried about. Every time we come back to our cabin we also will wash our hands. We wipe down tray table ect on plane and will clorox wipe phone and remote in hotels and cabin. I know clorox wipes won't kill everything but it makes me feel better:)

Thank you, yes this makes me feel better! I have only cruised on Carnival and they were so/so when it came to cleanliness.

We see some extreme precautions taken in China right now because it's Lunar New Year. This time of year in China millions of people are traveling and gathering to celebrate so the best conditions to propagate any virus. With very limited knowledge about this new virus, they don't take any chance as they should. That's not the case in the rest of the world. I'm pretty sure that in a few months it will be back to normal unless there's a pandemic and it's way too early to know.

Honestly you should be more worried about the flu,
Yep. I just got off the Magic Jan 14 and the flu symptoms started that night. Seemingly half the people on the ship were sick. Tons of coughing, lots of people laying down looking miserable. Wife and I are incredibly careful with germs, always sanitize tray and arm rests on planes, use the wipes and/or sanitizer before and after eating on the ship including each time we touch something on the buffet. We even use the wipes as a layer for pulling down the ice cream handles and using the soda machines like weirdos. Still seems impossible to not get sick during this time of year.

Yep. I just got off the Magic Jan 14 and the flu symptoms started that night. Seemingly half the people on the ship were sick. Tons of coughing, lots of people laying down looking miserable. Wife and I are incredibly careful with germs, always sanitize tray and arm rests on planes, use the wipes and/or sanitizer before and after eating on the ship including each time we touch something on the buffet. We even use the wipes as a layer for pulling down the ice cream handles and using the soda machines like weirdos. Still seems impossible to not get sick during this time of year.

The coronavirus fear is a lot of media-fueled hysteria. Cruise ship or not you are far more likely to die of influenza than coronavirus.

Not worried about Coronavirus at all.

Number of people in the U.S. killed annually by Coronavirus = 0
Number of people in the U.S. killed annually by taking selfie pic = 2
Number of people in the U.S. killed annually by vending machines falling on them = 13
Number of people in the U.S. killed annually by lightning = 31
Number of people in the U.S. killed annually by falling out of bed = 450

You get the point. You are more likely to die taking a selfie than by contracting the Coronavirus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!