Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

I'm in one, too, and I am seeing what you are seeing, but I have a feeling that the ones who are "going no matter what" are a very vocal minority. Sadly we canceled before the (old) PIF date. It just wasn't worth the stress.
I was of the same mind - I would have been thrilled to go no matter what, but the burden of flights and the prospect of no refund after PIF if there was a problem with my country or flights just made the stakes too high. I think at this point it is pretty irresponsible of DCL not to have more transparency about their cancellation plans when we can all see where this is going.

I think at this point it is pretty irresponsible of DCL not to have more transparency about their cancellation plans when we can all see where this is going.
This. Disney is definitely straining the affection of their guests (both cruise guests and WDW resort guests) by keeping their summer travel plans up in the air until the last minute.

Last edited:
Kayak has a page that is showing all the countries and their policies concerning foreign air travel. It might be interesting to follow if you have a cruise in the near future. I'm fairly certain that if you can't fly there, they aren't going to let you port there either.

https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions/
Thanks! I only wonder how correct it is. As Belgium should be 'fully closed', but is only registered as 'partially closed', or when travel for essential workers allowed, is it then considered 'partial'?

Thanks! I only wonder how correct it is. As Belgium should be 'fully closed', but is only registered as 'partially closed', or when travel for essential workers allowed, is it then considered 'partial'?

Yes, that is going to be the problem, isn't it? How often is it going to be updated or is it accurate?

There is a statement about each country when you continue scrolling on the page. Here's the one for Belgium.

Belgium
Belgium has restricted the entry of all travelers who are not arriving from EEA Member States, Switzerland or the United Kingdom.
Nationals, permanent residents, and long-term visa holders of EEA Member States, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom, and their family members may still enter Belgium.
Diplomats, humanitarian aid workers, and military personnel may also enter the country.
Nationals of Andorra, Monaco, Montenegro, North Macedonia, San Marino, Serbia and Vatican City may enter Belgium with proof of connection travel to their home country.
Passenger flights are only allowed to operate between 7:00AM and 9:00PM. This does not apply to humanitarian, repatriation, and United Nations flights.

Seems to be pretty comprehensive but hopefully we can, at least, use it as a place to start looking. It might not be the final source, but I thought it could be helpful.

Yes, that is going to be the problem, isn't it? How often is it going to be updated or is it accurate?

There is a statement about each country when you continue scrolling on the page. Here's the one for Belgium.

Belgium
Belgium has restricted the entry of all travelers who are not arriving from EEA Member States, Switzerland or the United Kingdom.
Nationals, permanent residents, and long-term visa holders of EEA Member States, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom, and their family members may still enter Belgium.
Diplomats, humanitarian aid workers, and military personnel may also enter the country.
Nationals of Andorra, Monaco, Montenegro, North Macedonia, San Marino, Serbia and Vatican City may enter Belgium with proof of connection travel to their home country.
Passenger flights are only allowed to operate between 7:00AM and 9:00PM. This does not apply to humanitarian, repatriation, and United Nations flights.

Seems to be pretty comprehensive but hopefully we can, at least, use it as a place to start looking. It might not be the final source, but I thought it could be helpful.
This information is incorrect and it has been for I think 2 months, so not a recent change, which is why Karin said it should state they are fully closed (only essential travel is allowed, even residents aren't allowed to travel within the country, unless essential)

This information is incorrect and it has been for I think 2 months, so not a recent change, which is why Karin said it should state they are fully closed (only essential travel is allowed, even residents aren't allowed to travel within the country, unless essential)

Well, then maybe that isn't going to quite as helpful as I hoped.:sad1:

Well, then maybe that isn't going to quite as helpful as I hoped.:sad1:
Not necessarily, it gives a good overview of how things are handled. It's probably just a case of semantics, what does 'Completely closed' and 'Partially closed' mean. The list with all the descriptions works better than the map.
When I read the description of Canada and Belgium, there isn't much difference, both let in residents and essential workers. One is Completely Closed, the other Partially.

Hello everyone - I was just notified by air Canada that all our flights to Copenhagen and back were canceled (departure date Aug 10). Relieved to have canceled the cruise. What a mess. I can't wait for this to just end! I hope everyone is staying safe and well.
I'm flying to Europe next week, and that flight got canceled two times. This is just because the airlines are changing flights to combine as many passengers as possible. However, instead of rebooking you automatically onto that new flight, they just cancel. I guess this is to 'weed out' anyone who didn't want to fly anyway. Those like me who want to fly as planned just call the airline and you'll be moved to a 'new' flight.

It seems it worked out for you though with the cruise also having been canceled.

Belgium

Not necessarily, it gives a good overview of how things are handled. It's probably just a case of semantics, what does 'Completely closed' and 'Partially closed' mean. The list with all the descriptions works better than the map.
When I read the description of Canada and Belgium, there isn't much difference, both let in residents and essential workers. One is Completely Closed, the other Partially.
The bolded part in the first quote isn't correct right? And if it was, then partially closed would be a good description...

Words matter, though. Maybe it's just a mistake? But that is odd. I guess I will start with the map and statements and then do some more research.

Although they announced it a few days ago, I only just saw it, but Virgin Voyages have cancelled all cruises until mid October.

I know their circumstances are totally different to most/all other lines, but I cant help but think they're being the most realistic right now.

Question for those of you who were on one of the Disney cruises that Disney cancelled, and took the 125%- were you PIF or not PIF yet? I've got a mid-August cruise that could be cancelled, but it's not PIF yet and didn't know if it makes a difference for the FCC.

Are you sure your PIF date hasn’t past? My Aug 15th PIF date was last week. It’s my understanding that your reservation would be cancelled if you didn’t PIF by that date.

The policy really doesn’t matter at this point because all remaining August reservations should be PIF by next week.

Regardless, I did get the impression that PIF was required to get the 125%. I rolled the dice and paid mine in full hoping for a cancellation. I have a 10% onboard booking discount and $200 OBC that I would like to keep.

Are you sure your PIF date hasn’t past? My Aug 15th PIF date was last week. It’s my understanding that your reservation would be cancelled if you didn’t PIF by that date.

The policy really doesn’t matter at this point because all remaining August reservations should be PIF by next week.

Regardless, I did get the impression that PIF was required to get the 125%. I rolled the dice and paid mine in full hoping for a cancellation. I have a 10% onboard booking discount and $200 OBC that I would like to keep.
same here...

My PIF is June 15th for an August 14th cruise on the Dream. Looking at the way DCL has been doing rolling cancellations of about two weeks at a time every other Wednesday, I'm guessing I might know June 10th if the cruise cancels, so that's why I'm wondering about the PIF/FCC policy.

My PIF is June 15th for an August 14th cruise on the Dream. Looking at the way DCL has been doing rolling cancellations of about two weeks at a time every other Wednesday, I'm guessing I might know June 10th if the cruise cancels, so that's why I'm wondering about the PIF/FCC policy.
We are on that cruise too and hope it goes! We rebooked from may and got the 125% credit, but we were PIF. It makes sens you have to be PIF because otherwise they don’t have your 100% fare to give you the bonus 25% on. You could always pay early.

I finally called DCL yesterday after our July 20 cruise was cancelled. I wanted to know if I could transfer the payment I had made for that cruise (PIF) to a cruise I had booked for next summer. I thought I’d just have to take a refund, but I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to apply the payment towards that cruise and received the FCC as well! That cruise is now almost entirely paid. Hopefully things will have settled down by next summer and we’ll actually be able to go!

I finally called DCL yesterday after our July 20 cruise was cancelled. I wanted to know if I could transfer the payment I had made for that cruise (PIF) to a cruise I had booked for next summer. I thought I’d just have to take a refund, but I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to apply the payment towards that cruise and received the FCC as well! That cruise is now almost entirely paid. Hopefully things will have settled down by next summer and we’ll actually be able to go!
Yes, I applied my FCC toward an already booked cruise, too. Very convenient and a great bonus!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter