Coral Reef-Yay or Nay?

disneybound2010

DIS Veteran
I have been trying to come up with something special to do with my DH while we are at WDW. It will be our anniversary and while we will have the whole family with us, I would like to have a nice meal alone with DH. I have seen a few threads about the divers with signs and think this could make a nice surprise for him. How much does it cost to have this done? Is the food decent or is it more the atmosphere that you are paying for?

Thanks in advance!

If you are looking for a meal alone with your husband, I would NOT pick Coral Reef. This place is teeming with children, many of them up and about trying to get close to the tanks, it's very noisy in here, service can be slow. The tank is nice, no doubt about it, but this is far from a relaxing place. The food is okay, not great, rather expensive if not on the dining plan.

The diver is no charge; you just have to contact the restaurant directly to arrange it. It's not available at all times. The divers are feeding the fish and if you happen to be eating there at a time when this is happening, the diver will hold up the sign. Also, Coral Reef will do personalized menus for you if you contact them directly.

We go here and we take our children; for my husband and I to have a meal alone; this would be way down on the list of places I would select.

We have gone both with and without our kids and I have to agree that if you want something romantic this deffinately won't be it! The food and service have always been wonderful....as is the atmosphere. Just always lots of families there.

The food was pretty good (especially since we were on the dining plan so the prices didn't bother us). If you go make sure to make a reservation and then ask for a seat right next to the aquarium (its the only way it's worth it). We waited 5 minutes for a closer table and it really made the difference!

If you are looking for a romantic evening with your husband can I suggest a signature dining restaurant? If you want tobe in/close to Epcot, there is Bostro, in France, they take adr's 30 days in advance and they do not accept the DDP.

Outside the International Gateway, there is Flying Fish at the BW and Yachtsman Steakhouse at the Yacht Club. We had our anniversary dinner there and it was perfect :love: I did mention when we booked it was out anniversary and we were given personalized menus, a wonderful surprise.

The food was great, the atmosphere was adult oriented and we had a fantastic evening. So much so, this is the one place DH has asked that we go again. princess:

We went there and loved it. Dont have kids, did notice its loud there, but not more kids than anywhere else. Every restaurant had quite a few, its just a loud place because of where it is, against an aquariam basically.

Quite liked it. Found the food to be better than the reviews had said, Tuna Ahi was great.

In my opinion, the food is "so-so". I have to disagree with the previous poster that said there were kids up and all over the place. This has never been our experience during any of the visits. There have been families with children there but I didn't see anyone up and wandering around or trying to get close to the glass except for one adult that was getting her picture taken with the diver holding a sign for her.

We just went a few weeks ago and loved it. But we had our children with us-there were quite a few kids there-definently not quiet, etc.

The divers were entertaining (we were right near the tank) and food was really good. Service was good also. I would def. go back.

We were there this week, I would not opt for this for a nice dinner, lunch was fine, not great. It is really only worth the $$ if you get a table by the aquarium, 3/4's of the tables are not by the aquarium, we were quite disappointed.

The food was some of the best we had on our trip, and the service was excellent! Very freindly staff. The place is crouded and a bit tight, but I don't remember alot of noise. Yes, there were alot of families. We were a party of 6 with one child. We were across the room from the aquarium wall, but still enjoyed the divers. I would go again!

I agree with Pakey--I would not choose this for a romantic time away from the kids. We were really disappointed in the entire experience, with the exception of the server who was wonderful. We went close to closing hoping there would be less children, but instead there were terribly overtired kids running, crying, and screaming; walking on the banquets; and even climbing ON THE TABLES.

The food was downright bad--hubby's steak was fatty and overcooked and my pasta was overly fishy and sticky (and I love seafood and seafood pastas, but this was NOT good). The wine the server selected was nice, but of course overpriced as they always are.

I would not go back for dinner, personally. Maybe I would give lunch a chance, since it is cheaper, but there are so many other places I would rather go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter