Convince me: Dessert Party is better than the Dining Package?

shaycamp21

DIS Veteran
So my window to book the dessert party opens tomorrow and I just want to be sure that it is the better experience rather than doing the dining package.

Last time we saw WOC (just DH & myself--our DD has never been) was in 2016 and it was pretty chill from what I remember. We didn't do dessert party or dining package, I don't even remember if we had FP (it was paper FP then), it wasn't super crowded (it was March--during Spring Break) and I don't think we staked out a spot more than an hour before. Now I know crowds are very different now.

I was totally prepared to book the dessert party but starting to have cold feet after I looked at the exchange rate in Canadian dollars, but I will suck it up pay it if it saves us time and gets us out of the crowds. Having done dessert parties at WDW I know the desserts are mediocre at best-- you're paying for the view and to be away from the masses. Though I was wondering if we did the second show with the dining package at WCT--(DD I think would enjoy the food and we have to eat anyway) would the crowds still be bad and what about the view?

I haven't really read any reports about the dining package so wondering if I should just stick with my original plan?

I have not done the WOC dining package, but did do the dessert party. From what I've heard it is not that hard to do the second show, but hopefully some others will chime in.

My son and I did the dessert party and enjoyed it. Yes, it was super expensive, but we liked having a seat and enjoying the experience. He liked the desserts and actually ate a lot of the cheese. I don't drink alcohol though, so that made the cost feel extra steep. I do think we got a very good view. We lined up about a half hour (7:30) before they started seating folks (8 pm).

One of my coworkers also did the dessert party and did not feel like it was worth it. The second show wasn't really an option for us (kid can't stay up that late), so I'm glad we did it.

I'm a local and an MK holder, so take that viewpoint into consideration. We did the dessert party recently and found it worth it for the first showing. Why? It got us out of the masses, we were able to sit down and enjoy an adult beverage or two. We had our desserts boxed up and we took them home. Had we been staying at DLR, would have done the same thing and enjoyed them for breakfast at GCH or DLH 8-). WCT is maybe a step above Olive Garden (IMO) and you still have to stand shoulder to shoulder with peeps to watch the WOC. I just don't find that appealing. With that said, we've also not paid for either and just walked up last minute to a 2nd showing and had a decent view, so there's always that option.

Last edited:
Oh yes
We had our desserts boxed up and we took them home. Had we been staying at DLR, would have done the same thing and enjoyed them breakfast at GCH or DLH 8-).
Oh yes! My only regret is that I accidentally forgot our boxed up desserts in the fridge of our room at the GCH. I was totally planning to nosh on them for the long drive home and also had saved half a raspberry cookie for my husband who wasn't with us.

I’ve only done the dining packages, and three times I’ve done Wine Country Trattoria. Personally I enjoyed it. I thought the food was pretty good, the cocktails very good.
Even with the reserved viewing area I still checked in about an hour and 15 min before the show to ensure a good, front spot.

We are doing the dessert party for our first time in a couple of months and I’m sure I’m going to like it more and find it superior.
-no matter what time we check in, we will for SURE have a table and chairs (worth the weight in gold to sit)
- dessert and alcohol delivered to our table!
-I do believe, mostly, unobstructed views

Sounds heavenly!

In my opinion the biggest difference is the dessert party you get an actual seat and the other you don't. Yes there are too many desserts at the dessert party but personally I like the seat where your not constantly fighting the person in front of you to see. I've done the dessert party twice & loved it.

We did the dessert party for the first time in April and we all absolutely loved it. We lined up early and were seated an hour before the show so we had an hour to sit, enjoy the view, enjoy our adult beverages, enjoy the cheese and desserts. It was so relaxing and luxurious feeling after being on our feet for 12 hours, especially to be out of the masses of people.

I do wish they still offered the bread basket. Would have made it a 10/10 for me. If I did it again I would bring in a baguette from Pacific Wharf to enjoy with my cheese (but for those prices they really should give you bread!).

We took our leftover desserts and cheese back to the hotel and enjoyed them poolside the next day.

It’s so expensive that I won’t do it frequently, maybe once every few years for special occasions. But we really enjoyed it!

Last edited:
We did the dessert party for the first time in April and we all absolutely loved it. We lined up early and were seated an hour before the show so we had an hour to sit, enjoy the view, enjoy our adult beverages, enjoy the cheese and desserts. It was so relaxing and luxurious feeling after being on our feet for 12 hours, especially to be out of the masses of people.

I do wish they still offered the bread basket. Would have made it a 10/10 for me. If I did it again I would bring in a baguette from Pacific Wharf to enjoy with my cheese (but for those prices they really should give you bread!).

We took our leftover desserts and cheese back to the hotel and enjoyed them poolside the next day.

It’s so expensive that I won’t do it frequently, maybe once every few years for special occasions. But we really enjoyed it!
OoooooHhhhh...that's a brilliant idea. And, so right about providing it based on the $$$$.

OoooooHhhhh...that's a brilliant idea. And, so right about providing it based on the $$$$.

And the ironic thing is that DCA even gives away sourdough bread for free at the Bakery Tour.

I think the Dessert Party is not worth it but the dining package could be. I'd much rather pay for substantial food and get what in my opinion are the best spots for World of Color rather than the Dessert Party spots which are too far back. But I get that some people don't like to stand.

It seems that most people go for the first dessert party. Is there a reason for this? Is the second dessert party different or worse?
It is the same reason the earlier show/first show is almost always more crowded. After a full day at the park, a lot of people are too worn out to enjoy staying late enough for the second show.

WOC dessert party is the only dessert party I will gladly plunk down my hard earned money for.

1. If you are vertically challenged, like me, you can see without a huge noggin in front of you. Unobstructed view ... priceless! We have been the last family to show up at the dessert party (got stuck on RSR) and our seats were still fabulous. FWIW, I prefer the high top tables.

2. You get to sit. After a long day of clocking miles running around both parks (if you have a hopper) it is nice to not have to stand. You and your weary feet can relax and enjoy the show.

3. Dessserts/Drinks. You get a ridiculous amount of food. Like everyone else on here, we box it up and take it back to the room to enjoy for breakfast and/or snacks the next day.

WOC dessert party is the only dessert party I will gladly plunk down my hard earned money for.

1. If you are vertically challenged, like me, you can see without a huge noggin in front of you. Unobstructed view ... priceless! We have been the last family to show up at the dessert party (got stuck on RSR) and our seats were still fabulous. FWIW, I prefer the high top tables.

2. You get to sit. After a long day of clocking miles running around both parks (if you have a hopper) it is nice to not have to stand. You and your weary feet can relax and enjoy the show.

3. Dessserts/Drinks. You get a ridiculous amount of food. Like everyone else on here, we box it up and take it back to the room to enjoy for breakfast and/or snacks the next day.
Is it easy to get it boxed up? They offer this without a problem?

Here is a silly question… we failed to secure a first showing dessert party, so we booked the second. It says we are supposed to show up at 9:15p? Isn’t the first show going on and wouldn’t we see/hear part of the first show? Sorry to be a dork, but we’ve avoided seeing any videos of the show to experience it in person for the first time!

Here is a silly question… we failed to secure a first showing dessert party, so we booked the second. It says we are supposed to show up at 9:15p? Isn’t the first show going on and wouldn’t we see/hear part of the first show? Sorry to be a dork, but we’ve avoided seeing any videos of the show to experience it in person for the first time!
My understanding is that you'll stay in line at that little nook around from the rapids until after the show ends so you'll be able to hear the show but not really see it from there. Someone who has actually done the 2nd dessert package can chime in and give more accurate info. If you really want to avoid hearing the show, I recommend bringing some noise cancelling earphones to use during the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter