Contemporary or Yacht Club?

HairyChest

DIS Veteran
Hey guys. I’m heading to Disney in December and can’t decide between the contemporary tower bay lake view or the yacht club standard view. I’ve never stayed at either. My favorites are the poly and the grand. I’ll be spending time equally at mk and Epcot.

Tough call, IMHO. We always stay at BCV, and YC is nice with newly refurbed rooms, but Contemporary is a classic. Will you be solo, couple, or have with you? With kids probably contemporary (unless you all are planning on swimming), but otherwise it's 50/50.

Tough call, IMHO. We always stay at BCV, and YC is nice with newly refurbed rooms, but Contemporary is a classic. Will you be solo, couple, or have with you? With kids probably contemporary (unless you all are planning on swimming), but otherwise it's 50/50.

3 adults. The theming of the contemporary doesn't interest me but from the pictures Ive seen, the room looks beautiful as does the view and the proximity to my favorite resorts. However, Yacht club seems like the theming is better and the pool sounds fun (although it may be too cold). some resorts need to be stayed in to truly see if you like as I did with the grand which I had no interest until I stayed and fell in love with. I wonder If these resorts are the same.

The contemporary and Poly are the originals. I remember staying at the contemporary when the grand Floridian didn't even exist! That said, I think you'd really enjoy being able to walk to the world showcase in epcot and the boardwalk. I like them both but would probably be 60/40 YC in this case. Oh, and YC Xmas decorations are fantastic too plus a brand new restaurant (ale & compass) is just opening as well.

Have a great trip!

Since you are all adults (all over 21?) I would recommend staying at Yacht Club, and walking over to Jellyrolls on the boardwalk one night. You have to be 21+ and there is a cover charge, but it is a GREAT time!

I give a slight nod to YC. But very slight.
Though admittedly we haven't stayed at BLT, just CR tower.
Just thinking between the 2, as adults, we'd rather have the choice of walking to Epcot and the Boardwalk each evening vs. walking to MK each evening, when we aren't at the park.

I'm not a huge fan of CR. It's a perfectly nice resort, but I think it's outdone by the theming and amenities of Disney's other deluxe resorts. It does have a great location, that's enough to tip the scales for some. If you plan to spend most of your time in the parks and only want a nice place to sleep that's also in a good location, it could be a good choice.

I think YC is one of the best resorts Disney has to offer. Just so you're aware, they recently started allowing dogs, without breed restrictions. I'm pretty sure there is a thread to monitor how implementation is going. Beyond that, the pool is very nice. It may or may not be too cold when you visit, Disney keeps their pools very warm and Orlando weather is very unpredictable in the winter. I can entertain myself for the day at YC and the Boardwalk area, without entering a park, I can't really do that at CR (even visiting the neighboring MK hotels). The transportation to MK is not ideal. That's really the big drawback, in my opinion.

Note that the Yacht Club now allows dogs.
That would rule out the resort for me.

Yes that's exactly what I was thinking

Having stayed at beach club and contemporary , I would say contemporary as it was fantastic to be able to walk to MK.

However if you spend a lot of time in Epcot, the walk to the international gate from yacht club is a lovely walk.

But I thought the quality of my room was much better in the contemporary over beach club. And now with this dog policy over at yacht club, id pass on it.

My vote is Yacht Club. We almost always stay at The Poly. That said, last year DH and I took our first trip sans kids and stayed at the Yacht Club for proximity to Epcot (despite the fact that I was not thrilled with our prior stay at Beach Club because it was soooooo busy and the room we had there was dingy with stains on the carpet). The Yacht Club on the other hand, was WONDERFUL! I didn't think I'd like the rooms without carpeting but it was so nice! Very clean! Theming is much better in person than it appears in pictures online imo and the ability to walk to World Showcase is the best. If you are not going to stay at The Poly then Yacht Club would always be my second choice.

Contemporary by far. You cannot beat the convenience to the Magic Kingdom and the access to the monorail. Its the only Disney resort that you can walk to the Magic Kingdom from. If you have experienced the buses from MK, a 5 minute walk vs. a 1 hour bus ride back to your resort, is worth the cost. In addition, the CR is beautiful and luxurious. The contempo cafe is amazing and if you have adults that want to grab a drink, the options are plenty. There is not a better view of MK than from the California Grill!

CONTEMPORARY Bay Lake View
YFqjRlG.jpg

jziHon3.jpg

I had a reservation at Contemporary but one opened up at Yacht Club. It was a tough decision to me but I was able to save $550 AND for this trip I'm interested in spending a lot of time in EPCOT, in particular the World Showcase so I think it makes more sense for me to be there.

For adults only, I would suggest YC since you will be within walking distance to Epcot and DHS. Plus there are many holiday happenings in Epcot to enjoy.

Hey guys. I’m heading to Disney in December and can’t decide between the contemporary tower bay lake view or the yacht club standard view. I’ve never stayed at either. My favorites are the poly and the grand. I’ll be spending time equally at mk and Epcot.
The Contemporary has nicer rooms than the Yacht Clubs, and you won't hear any barking dogs. So it's a win-win. Being able to walk to and from MK is a dream for those days you want to open or close the park. And the monorail gives you easy access to Epcot and dining at the Poly & GF, where as a bonus you'll enjoy seeing their Christmas decorations. CR also has it's own boat launch to Fort Wilderness, in case you want to see Hoop Dee Doo Revue, or go on a sleigh ride.

We've stayed in both, they each have strong points. Between the two we'd choose CR (technically BLT as we're DVC members.)

I prefer the Epcot resorts to Contemporary. The rooms at CR are large and beautiful and comfortable, but I didn't like anything else about the resort, honestly. Access to EP and HS by foot or boat just can't be beat! So many great restaurants between all of the resorts there, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter