Considering TIW - is it a savings?

catherines_mama

DIS Veteran
We typically do DDP, standard not deluxe. This year we are going with 4 Adults ( 2 oldest will be 12 & 11) and 1 Child. With the price of DDP going up, which is the better deal?

Only bite I can see about TIW is QS meals aren't at a discount.

What do you think?

Counter Service is included at the value resorts and at POFQ (I believe) because they don't have a TS restaurant.

Also at AK you can use it at Pizzafari and Flame Tree BBQ.

Hope this helps you decide.

The only way to get a TiW card is if you are a Florida Resident, DVC member or AP holder. If that still applies to you, the cost for TiW goes up in 2013 to $125 for Florida residents and $100 for the other two.

QS at AK all take the card as do the "food courts" at the value resorts where there is no table service options.

You can also use the card at The Swan and Dolphin restaurants, so if there is a restaurant there you've thought about trying, but haven't because they don't take the DDP, this would be a good time to do so.

As for the better deal, it depends on how you like to eat. If apps and alcoholic drinks are more your style, you'll probably see a savings with the TiW. If you're going to WDW more than once in a year, you'll definitely see a savings. If you'd like to do more than one TS per day, you'll see a savings.

One other note, an 18% gratuity is automatically added to your bill with the TiW card.

As the previous poster stated...it depends. For us because we aren't always on property and I don't eat all that much...TIW works well for us (we live in NJ, but have season passes and DVC). But I've also found that I tend to make a reservation to use it sometimes when eating counter service would work too. I believe allears.net or wdwinfo.com or even the Disney site has the full listings. There are some restaurants that don't take it at all (i.e. TeppanEdo which does take the Annual Pass, but only M-F for lunch). And since they add the 18% gratuity, you're basically saving on gratuity).

DDP is great if you like to eat. Like, (before they changed it to counting for two), we went to Le Cellier for lunch...that meal alone paid for the Dining Plan. We don't usually go there just for TIW. Even with the TIW discount, it's still just TOO expensive for us.

I would also say, don't get it until you need it. Unlike the annual passes, the TIW starts the day you get it.

Okay. We have DVC and APs. I guess I need to do some old school number crunching to figure this out. We are going in Feb (no DDP because I'm going with a friend who is not as much a planner) but in August we'll plan ahead. Hmmm

Another added benefit for TiW (for my family) is that you get complementary valet when you dine. So that saves us $15 (in valet fee) and we don't have to worry about parking at the resorts when we eat there (especially at GF where self parking seems so far away!).

Okay, I ran some numbers and it seems like TIW might save us $300 over our week long trip. $200 if you account the price of TIW that I'll purchase in Feb. We will likely also go next DEC (end of month) for a baseball tournament. so that'd be 3 trips under the year. hmm ? Will need to discuss with DH

tablesinwonderland.com is a lovely, official, website that shows ALL of the restaurants and lounges where it works. We love using it at Sassagoula, as an example of counter service places where you can use it.

For table service restaurants, there will be an 18% tip charged automatically, but of course if you are having heinous service, you would have talked to a manager already, and would work out that problem.

Basically, look at the website above, figure out what you might spend on food at those places. If it is $500 and you paid $100 for the card, then you've broken even (and if you used the included valet parking for dining with the TIW then you're ahead!). Spent more and you're into discount territory. :)

Here is a working example, using $100.00 as the original bill to make the math show up easily. Note this is for Table Service. At Counter Service there is no gratuity added.

100.00 - Original Menu Amount
*20.00 - Discount
*80.00 - Subtotal
*18.00 - Gratuity Added based on $100
**5.20 - Sales Tax on $80
103.20 - Final amount charged, takes into consideration discount, gratuity and tax.

Without TiW Discount (and still figuring 18% Gratuity)

100.00 - Original Menu Amount
*18.00 - Gratuity
**6.50 - Sales Tax on $100
124.50 - Total

$21.30 - Savings using TiW Card.

(Note - At Victoria and Albert's the added gratuity is 20% instead of 18%.)
* Ignore the asterisks; they are there only so the columns/numbers line up properly.

For the complete list of locations and the rules, go to www.tablesinwonderland.com which is the Official Disney site.

Based on the new pricing, the following is the break-even point for menu pricing (assuming you will routinely give an 18% tip:
AP Holder ($100) is $469.48
Resident or DVC Member (not AP holder) ($125) is $586.85
Both of the above take into consideration that the Sales Tax is also discounted.

Based on the new pricing, the following is the break-even point for menu pricing (assuming you will routinely give an 18% tip:
AP Holder ($100) is $469.48
Resident or DVC Member (not AP holder) ($125) is $586.85
Both of the above take into consideration that the Sales Tax is also discounted.

It's always good to have an official number-cruncher around. :)

Hey, I'm a retired CPA (but still do taxes for remaining clients, just nobody new).

Okay, I ran some numbers and it seems like TIW might save us $300 over our week long trip. $200 if you account the price of TIW that I'll purchase in Feb. We will likely also go next DEC (end of month) for a baseball tournament. so that'd be 3 trips under the year. hmm ? Will need to discuss with DH

Keep in mind that some restaurants offer DVC and AP discounts without any additional payment. You might be able to save $200.00 without spending any money upfront.

Check this list!

Most of the restaurants in Epcot accept one of the discounts. Check it out before you decide. And have Fun!

this is the only plan we've used in all our trips and can't say enough about it :thumbsup2 With the exception of RFC, everywhere we dine is 20% off, resorts included. It's so easy to use and you can see the look of relief on the waitstaff face when they ask what dining plan we have and we say TIW :lmao: Since I want all my meals to be TS, it has substantial savings for us.

After using TIW the last couple of years, we finally stopped telling the wait staff that we had a TIW until our meal was over. We starting feeling like the waiters knew they were getting a set gratuity, so they didn't need to impress us.

Since the price of the dining plan has increased since we used it last in 2010 paying for 4 adults is very expensive we will not be doing the DDP this next trip but getting a TIW card instead.

I have read on other posts people stating that the service was not as good when they said they had a TIW card at the beginning of a meal. What is the procedure when having a TIW card? I don't want them to run the bill to then discover I have a TIW card.

Since the price of the dining plan has increased since we used it last in 2010 paying for 4 adults is very expensive we will not be doing the DDP this next trip but getting a TIW card instead.

I have read on other posts people stating that the service was not as good when they said they had a TIW card at the beginning of a meal. What is the procedure when having a TIW card? I don't want them to run the bill to then discover I have a TIW card.

They bring you the bill, you give them your credit card and TIW card, they give you the discount. It isn't a problem.

You don't have to tell them ahead of time at all. They can bring the bill, then you give TIW card and your payment method.

We've done regular and deluxe dining as well as TIW. We like appetizers and alcoholic beverages and don't always order dessert, so TIW is a much better deal for us especially now that my son is an "adult" (at 10 years old). Waiting on a (slow) fast food line on vacation is not my idea of good times, so it works out well for us. We grab breakfast at QS at a resort or park, then make reservations for lunch/dinner - just eat lighter at lunch.

We have not seen any difference in service when using TIW vs. other discounts or no discount at all. There are good servers and bad servers everywhere - it's just luck of the draw.

My only gripe is that paying the bill with TIW can take longer and use up valuable park time while the server finds a manager to run it through. We also sometimes use it for cocktails at the Animal Kingdom Lodge or Kidani and the poor bartender has to find a manager to come down to run it.

Again, as others have advised, figure out what your eating preferences might be and you can easily run numbers on your own savings.

Thanks for the replies, we are looking forward to trying a few new eateries this next trip who are not on the DDP.

There is a new policy in place for the TIW card. Managers no longer have to approve the discount. Now the card is swiped by the server. This will cut down on the time to get your discounted check.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter