Considering Disney Cruise, Lots of Questions!

SwansLoveDisney

DIS Veteran
My DH and I WERE going to take our daughter to WDW for her first birthday. However, my DH decided that he'd rather save that for when she is a little older. So we're considering a Disney Cruise. My daughter will be 1 in April.

I'd like to hear (read) your thoughts on taking a one year old on a Disney Cruise.

Also, how are the baby-sitting services aboard the ships?

My DH and I WERE going to take our daughter to WDW for her first birthday. However, my DH decided that he'd rather save that for when she is a little older. So we're considering a Disney Cruise. My daughter will be 1 in April.

I'd like to hear (read) your thoughts on taking a one year old on a Disney Cruise.

Also, how are the baby-sitting services aboard the ships?

I have never cruised with a child that young but have read many post from those that have. Between WDW and DCL I believe DCL will be the better option with a young child. The child care on DCL is some of the best but it comes with a pice tag for those under 3. It is I believe $6.00 an hour with a two hour min. Since you are looking to go in April you may find the water is still just a little chilly for her to play in comfortably. Hopefully others will add to this as I do not have the real experence that you seek.

I have never cruised with a child that young but have read many post from those that have. Between WDW and DCL I believe DCL will be the better option with a young child. The child care on DCL is some of the best but it comes with a pice tag for those under 3. It is I believe $6.00 an hour with a two hour min. Since you are looking to go in April you may find the water is still just a little chilly for her to play in comfortably. Hopefully others will add to this as I do not have the real experence that you seek.

Thank you!

The more I think about it, the more I think that DCL is indeed the better option with such a small child.

I never thought about the water temp. When does the water start to warm up?

Thanks so much for your input. I've been to WDW a bunch of times, but only DCL one time when I was 12!

We took my DD at 5 months on DCL and to WDW. Let me tell you the cruise is a million times easier because you're so close to everything. Not that WDW is too difficult, it just takes more lugging around stuff. You're never more than 5 minutes from your room. Unless you get off at port. We didn't because it was a short 3 night and we had already been to Nassau.

The servers are amazing. At our buffett breakfast we sat near the dirty dish area and many of the servers came by to talk to her and make funny faces at her. It kept her entertained. My husband was at the buffett getting my food but the servers didn't know and they kept asking me if they could get me any food.

Also as strange as this sounds... I only trust DCL with her. I was totally comfortable leaving her at Flounder's. We used the full 10 hours and the staff there are amazing. The first night I came back to get her and she had only been there for 3 hours, but they had made a bunch of stuff with her to bring home. I won't tell you what in case they're still doing the same thing ;)

It is $6 an hour but well worth it. One time we went to get her and they had just started feeding her a bottle so they told my husband he could come back in 20 min if he wanted and it wouldn't be any extra. You can tell they really do enjoy what they're doing and they are good at it. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. We are also getting ready to go for Labor Day weekend to WDW and now our DD is 1. HTH :goodvibes

We took my DD at 5 months on DCL and to WDW. Let me tell you the cruise is a million times easier because you're so close to everything. Not that WDW is too difficult, it just takes more lugging around stuff. You're never more than 5 minutes from your room. Unless you get off at port. We didn't because it was a short 3 night and we had already been to Nassau.

The servers are amazing. At our buffett breakfast we sat near the dirty dish area and many of the servers came by to talk to her and make funny faces at her. It kept her entertained. My husband was at the buffett getting my food but the servers didn't know and they kept asking me if they could get me any food.

Also as strange as this sounds... I only trust DCL with her. I was totally comfortable leaving her at Flounder's. We used the full 10 hours and the staff there are amazing. The first night I came back to get her and she had only been there for 3 hours, but they had made a bunch of stuff with her to bring home. I won't tell you what in case they're still doing the same thing ;)

It is $6 an hour but well worth it. One time we went to get her and they had just started feeding her a bottle so they told my husband he could come back in 20 min if he wanted and it wouldn't be any extra. You can tell they really do enjoy what they're doing and they are good at it. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. We are also getting ready to go for Labor Day weekend to WDW and now our DD is 1. HTH :goodvibes

Wonderful! Thank you!

I read somewhere that it's a good idea to get a room with a verandah so that you can sit out there while the baby naps. Do you think it's worth the extra money?

I feel like I would be comfortable with the childcare, but my husband said he's nervous about it. She's only 4 months now, though, so maybe that will change by the time we go!

You might regret your offer to help!!! I'm going to have a million questions between now and then! ;)

Although I have never cruised with a child that young, my advice is still to go for it! We went on our first cruise last year with DS9 and DD4. They both LOVED the kids clubs and can't wait to go back. I can't imagine that the baby room would not provide the same magical experience. We've done WDW with both as 1yo's and I can tell you that once they start walking it's MUCH harder. We went on our first post-cruise WDW visit and were quite a bit disappointed because we kept comparing it to the cruise. Two extremes- one totally relaxing and the other running around and tired. HTH!

We haven't cruised yet, but are planning our first for next year. We did however do WDW with a one year old this year (only because her brothers were 5 and 3). It was HARD! She had recently started walking and HATED being in the stroller. As for enjoyment, she certainly enjoyed the parades, characters, and some rides. We are looking forward to the (hopefully) more relaxing nature of a cruise with the kids next year though.

Although I have never cruised with a child that young, my advice is still to go for it! We went on our first cruise last year with DS9 and DD4. They both LOVED the kids clubs and can't wait to go back. I can't imagine that the baby room would not provide the same magical experience. We've done WDW with both as 1yo's and I can tell you that once they start walking it's MUCH harder. We went on our first post-cruise WDW visit and were quite a bit disappointed because we kept comparing it to the cruise. Two extremes- one totally relaxing and the other running around and tired. HTH!

Relaxing sounds wonderful to me!!

I am slowly becoming more and more convinced that it is best to wait until my girl is a little older before we do WDW.

We haven't cruised yet, but are planning our first for next year. We did however do WDW with a one year old this year (only because her brothers were 5 and 3). It was HARD! She had recently started walking and HATED being in the stroller. As for enjoyment, she certainly enjoyed the parades, characters, and some rides. We are looking forward to the (hopefully) more relaxing nature of a cruise with the kids next year though.

Thanks for your input!

Looking at the DCL website is making me VERY excited!!!

Definitely do the cruise. Wait to do the parks until she's older. :thumbsup2

In 2006 we sailed for 7-nights with DCL when DS was only 3 months old! We had planned on taking our DD to WDW that year. Our DD was 5 and we felt it was the right time; however, DS decided to join the family so we decided to go on a DCL cruise instead of going to the parks. When we embarked on the Disney Magic it became clear it was the best decision we ever made. ::yes:: We did book a verandah room as I was still nurning DS and it was, at the time, well worth the extra money. We left DS at Flounder's Reef when we went to Palo and/or the Vista Spa. We felt quite comfortable leaving him there. The staff at Flounder's Reef was fantastic and took great care of DS. They went out of their way to make him and us happy. Whenever DS went to Flounder's Reef, DD went to Oceaneers Club. She enjoyed herself tremendously. It was difficult to get her out of there sometimes! :laughing:

DCL was our children's first exposure to a Disney vacation. I think DCL is a much more manageable Disney experience with little ones. The nice thing about DCL is that you can kick back and relax or be as active as you choose to be. This past June we sailed on the Disney Wonder. Our experience was vastly different than the first time we sailed. We immersed ourselves in the various activities offered onboard. We also participated in more shore excursions this time around. But then again our children were able to take advantage of them as they are now older. We did not book a verandah room this past June as we knew we'd be spending a lot more time outside our stateroom enjoying the various programs and activities offered by DCL both onboard the ship and at the ports.

We've been to the parks twice as a family. Our DS was 3 and DD was 8 when we took them to WDW for the first time last year. We went again this past June right before our DCL cruise. The parks are a wonderful vacation as well, but it's a very different experience altogether. At the very least you have to put together a touring plan and make ADRs (if you want a sit down meal at some point during your WDW vacation). Your little one will enjoy the parks more once she's able to make the height requirement for more rides/attractions. You will enjoy the parks more once she's gained the stamina to wait in long lines, take naps in her stroller under any circumstances, and/or better yet once she's outgrown naps altogether.

So as someone who has experienced both Disney vacations (WDW and DCL), I would say definitely do the cruise this time. You will not regret it in the least. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter