Considering a split Universal stay in the fall

Skywalker3

DIS Veteran
We're looking at doing Universal/IoA this fall, probably in October, but maybe Thanksgiving. In the past, we've always stayed at either Hard Rock or Royal Pacific, and plan to do at least 2-3 nights at one of those (maybe Portofino, but we know it's a longer walk to the parks.) If we did 2 nights at another resort, like Cabana Bay, Sapphire falls, etc which one would you pick for having a great pool, etc. We figure since we have the express pass while staying the days at the premier hotel, we'll focus on park heavy days/lots of rides, but then if we switch hotels, hope to spend more time at the pool. Will still have some park time, so want hotel to be convenient to parks also. which order to do the hotels? Like premier first? then switch, or vice versa?

Which to do first I think depends on which would be the most full day, your first day or your last day. That assumes all days were workdays.

Cabana Bay has a lazy river, also a short walk to Volcano Bay. Also, by then you will be able to walk one hotel up and catch a water taxi.

Our next trip we are doing something similar. We are staying Premier to get Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun as EP days. We'll have a car and I'm very cheap so we actually have a one-night Drury Inn stay in between two one-night premier hotel stays. Before that we are staying at Cabana Bay.

Not sure what type of pass you are getting - you might want to consider whether an annual pass that has the after 4pm fast pass might be a good option? It sounds as though you are staying there a lot of days, so you might want to price it. The time of year you are going isn't high season EXCEPT for Halloween Horror Nights and maybe Thanksgiving (although not necessarily). During weekdays in October it shouldn't be too busy and you might not need a fast pass, so perhaps could stay somewhere cheaper on weekdays. After 4pm fast pass would allow some late day easy rides if fast pass is needed. Just a thought. Also, I agree with other posters that you want to get the most bang for your buck with the fast pass days, so make sure you will have as much day as possible for use, AND save those for weekends if you can.

The park closes at 5 on nights HHN happens
for the general public
This means those that do not have the HHN ticket, will have to exit the Studios
(Or go to the other park until they close later if you have the park hopper ticket )

HHN is held on Wednesday through Sunday.

Which park has HHN and which park doesn't? Does the non HHN park get packed after 5? We will be staying at Portofino bay so will that help us get on to all the rides when we switch parks? I'm so stuck because this is the one and only time we will ever get to UO and we are only doing 2 nights there before heading to WDW and want to make sure it's going to be worth our time.

Cabana Bay is great! We liked our room, and the pools and outdoor space are good, and the food court is not too outrageously priced. For our family of 5, the family suite was great. We moved to HRH for the second half, and the beds were more comfortable but we were a little cramped for space. But we did love those express passes.

I liked doing Cabana Bay first because we were totally unfamiliar with the parks, and spent a few days doing not-very-efficient touring, taking pool breaks (and Volcano Bay), going to restaurants we'd wanted to try, and riding Hagrid's as many times as we could. We didn't wait in long lines, just saved those rides for "later". By the time we got the EPs, we had a list of what else we wanted to do, knew our way around, then were able to ride (and re-ride) a lot and to be efficient with our time.

Which park has HHN and which park doesn't? Does the non HHN park get packed after 5? We will be staying at Portofino bay so will that help us get on to all the rides when we switch parks? I'm so stuck because this is the one and only time we will ever get to UO and we are only doing 2 nights there before heading to WDW and want to make sure it's going to be worth our time.

Weekends usually brings more to the parks
I find Saturdays once it is noon, crowded ...

Hotel rates tend to be highest for weekends.

is is possible to switch your dates and do UO first then move to Disney?

Hhn is held at the studios
IOA does not have any HHN events

Weekends usually brings more to the parks
I find Saturdays once it is noon, crowded ...

Hotel rates tend to be highest for weekends.

is is possible to switch your dates and do UO first then move to Disney?

Hhn is held at the studios
IOA does not have any HHN events
ok thank you. We are already going to UO first and then Disney second. Have to be at Disney for November 3 for our daughters 5th birthday so UO has to be the weekend of Halloween unfortunately.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Cabana Bay sounds like a fun place! We often spend our first night across the road, and check into our Universal hotel very early in the AM to get our keys/express passes. Now need to get a little more serious w the planning. thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter