Considering a first-time Disneyland/LA trip! So many questions!

Artygal90

DIS Veteran
Hello DLR section of the Disboards! I'm headed down the rabbit hole this evening planning a birthday trip to Disneyland in early May. I've never been to DLR, or California, and I had never been to WDW before this past March when I immersed myself in the Disney internet. I have so many questions and I hope you can answer some of them for me:

- We would be flying in super-early to LAX, arriving around 7:30 am on a Thursday and departing LAX around 6 pm on Sunday evening. So we would only have three full days in LA plus 3/4-day-ish on either end. What would be the fastest way to get from LAX to Disneyland to maximize park time?

- How should we structure our park days with the above travel plan in mind? I'm thinking Disneyland on Thursday, DCA on Friday and then the rest of LA on Saturday and Sunday before we leave.

- Having never been to LA, I do want to also see attractions like the La Brea tar pits, the Getty Museum, Santa Monica/Venice Beach, the Hollywood walk of fame, and Griffith Park. Are there any other must-sees I've missed, or attractions I've listed that we should skip? We're not super interested in visiting Universal Hollywood or taking a studio tour unless it won't take too much time. We will also be on a budget as those DLR tickets are expensive, so anything free or cheap is good!

- I know park-hopping at DLR is very easy, but is it necessary for a first-time visitor? At WDW we had hoppers for three days but I felt like it would have been easier to just stick with one park per day. If we can avoid the extra expense at DLR that would be nice.

- How does MaxPass work? Is it worth getting?

- If I just went to WDW in March 2018, what rides and attractions are we okay to skip? What MUST we see?

- What's the best option for transportation in LA? I was thinking of only renting a car for our last two days driving around LA, but that is looking like it will be $120 + parking + gas. Could we get by with Uber/Lyft and public transit?

Sorry, I know this is a lot of questions, and that I'm trying to plan a lot of stuff for a short trip. I won't be able to book anything until February or March, so I've got time to figure out all the details and save my pennies. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Here are some threads to get you started with your trip planning:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a great overview of the similarities and differences between WDW and DLR
Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information ~ 3TinksAndAnEeyore -- a lot of people like Uber/Lyft for quick, easy transport to/from LAX; keep in mind that the easiest, closest airport for DLR is SNA (aka John Wayne) -- this can make a big difference in getting to/from the parks quickly, which can be totally worth a higher price ticket
With all you are trying to do/see at DLR in the short amount of time you have, get the hoppers! They will help you make the most of MaxPass (If you get it) and you can always hop to one park when the other park gets too crowded. The parks are about a football field's length apart -- hopping is a breeze at DLR.
Max Pass:
FastPass, MaxPass (make sure to look at the tutorial videos in this thread)
MaxPass
First time MaxPass user...Help with tips and how to use.
In early May, be aware that the parks may be on low season/non-peak schedule -- so check the entertainment calendar as soon as it comes out (about 6 weeks before your dates) to make sure you can fit everything in that you want to see. TS reservations open up 60 days before your date, so be thinking about what dining packages (F! is highly recommended for the best viewing and the WOC Dessert Party is really fun), character meals, or TS meals (Blue Bayou?) you'd like.

1. Uber or lyft
2,4,5. 3 full days minimum in the parks. Get park hoppers (Not needed at WDW). Get maxpass.

Yes, those are great threads listed above!

- How should we structure our park days with the above travel plan in mind? I'm thinking Disneyland on Thursday, DCA on Friday and then the rest of LA on Saturday and Sunday before we leave.

... We will also be on a budget as those DLR tickets are expensive...

- If I just went to WDW in March 2018, what rides and attractions are we okay to skip? What MUST we see?

You should get a Magic Morning with your DLR tickets (MM = 1 hour early entry to DL, Fantasyland and Tomorrowland only, on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays). It is doubtful that you'll make it to MM on your arrival day, but you should try to use it on Saturday, if you can. That extra early hour can help you get a lot done, especially with the dark rides in FL that no longer exist in MK. If you could possibly arrive at DLR on Wednesday evening, then you could hit the ground running with MM on Thursday morning. MM comes with all multiday tickets 3 day and longer -- only tickets purchased in advance, not at the ticket booths.
DLR tickets are expensive, but savings are out there. Look at Mousesavers.com for deals to see if anything fits your dates and trip plans (and that also includes hotels, car rentals, other activities, etc.). Also look at LMTC (Last Minute Travel Club) for DLR park hoppers -- right now, those prices are the lowest. If you can squeeze in more days for DLR, I don't think you'll regret it!
If you get park hoppers (get the hoppers!), then Cars Land is definitely a must see! If WOC is running (on hiatus for repairs right now), that is a must see. F! is a better show at DL -- not better seating, but a better show overall.

Last edited:
When we go to DLR we usually do a day or 2 off property. This past May (I also have a May birthday!) we went to Griffith Park and got on the carousel (where Walt thought up Disneyland), we also went to the Observatory. You get a great view of the Hollywood sign from the Observatory and they have very cool shows. Had lunch at the Farmer's Market then went to Santa Monica for a few hours. On another trip we went to the La Brea tar pits, LACMA and had lunch at the Farmer's Market (yeah it is our favorite lunch spot) all of which are within a block or 2 of each other. Then we went to the walk of fame and ended our day by watching a movie at El Capitan - they only run Disney movies, if there is a new release they show that but most of the time they run classics. We rent a car anytime we go to CA. One trip we got one for the whole stay, this past May we just got it for a couple of days - the 2 days ran about $60. Just look all the time, prices go up an down, promos get released etc and you can cancel with no penalty so book one and then wait for prices to go down.

Yes on hoppers - I never get them at WDW but always get them at DLR. Open the parks when you can, you can get so much done those first few hours!
Make a list of the rides found at DLR that WDW does not have - Mr Toad, Snow White, Matterhorn etc. PoTC is a must. So is all of DCA (except Little Mermaid which is the same as at MK) but especially Carsland. Find out when sunset is and get to Carsland a few minutes before - that is when the light come on and they play the ShBoom song.

LMTClub has the cheapest tickets - you don't need a membership, just Google for a code to access the site. If I was going to splurge on one thing it would be the WoC dessert party. The F! packages are nice in that you don't have to wait too long. If you do want to do a F! package and go to Blue Bayou - which I would do if it was a once in a lifetime trip since it is pretty cool to eat inside the PoTC ride - I would do that package. If BB is not your thing I would then just do the Hungry Bear package.

We don't stay on property (always stay on property when we go to WDW), off property is super close and much cheaper. If you want to really spend time at the resort then I would do a Disney hotel but if you will spend most of your time in the parks (like we do) then across on Harbor is a great way to save some $$. I book stupid early. As soon as I see dates opening I book our room then if prices drop I cancel and rebook (most places have really good cancellation policies). Our go-to place is Desert Inn & Suites on S Harbor (there is a Desert Inn on a different street), it is super close and we have never had any issues. They release promos all the time - especially for May! - I can always find a room for around $89 a night.

"...arriving around 7:30 am on a Thursday and departing LAX around 6 pm on Sunday evening. So we would only have three full days in LA plus 3/4-day-ish on either end"

Your arrival time will be mid-rush hour, so it may take you an hour (or more) to get to an Anaheim area hotel. Factor that in when you're figuring park arrival time if you want that day as a park day.

If you want to see all those sights, I guess you could do the La Brea tar pits, Santa Monica/Venice Beach, the Hollywood walk of fame, and Griffith Park in one day if all you wanted to do was spend minimal time at each one and do plenty of driving (and parking) in between. The Getty is a whole day's trip in itself and it's not worth it to rush through it so I'd skip it unless you decide to devote one of your days to it. You could also easily spend a whole day at Griffith Park too, considering the planetarium and 'Travel Town' and Walt's Barn (relocated from his Carolwood Dr home).

the rest of LA on Saturday and Sunday before we leave.

Where are you staying (sorry if I've missed that)? That might affect how you do your touring.

I'd try to save my 'full' days for the parks and I'd want 3 full days, rope drop to closing, so if you can split your car rental and do 2 24-hour rentals with a drop at LAX on departure day, I'd suggest you spend Sunday after arrival and getting settled doing La Brea Tar Pits and Santa Monica/Venice. Spend your last (partial) day seeing the Walk of Fame and Griffith Park before heading to the airport. You could head out super early and do the Walk of Fame (since it's, well, just a sidewalk) and then hit Griffith afterwards and spend the remainder of the day there. Head out around 3pm to get to the airport by 4. It doesn't actually take that long from that side of town, but LAX traffic is unpredictable, even on the weekends. If you can't split the rental, I think I'd try to pick up a rental EARLY at LAX on Saturday morning (Uber over), that way you'd have it to drive straight to the airport on Sunday which gives you additional time to sight see.

If the Getty is a 'must', then add it to your Tar Pits/Sta Monica day, but be prepared to rush around the first two to devote time to the Getty. And be sure you read the Getty website re parking as you park and take a tram.

If you belong to AAA, check their rates, I've never gotten lower rates elsewhere and I'm a pretty compulsive price checker.. I've been able to get some amazing deals on 5-7 day rentals. Caveat is that I don't fly in to LAX and it's been way in advance. I once got an 8 day rental (Hertz out of ONT airport) for $121.00 total.

Take a look a the places you want to see on Mapquest or other mapping website so you can get an idea of distances and logistics. Then for rental vs Uber, look at Uber/Lyft websites for estimated fares (but remember that surcharges aren't unusual in LA proper). Then compare your rental price and remember that you'll most likely have to pay for parking. I'd add an additional 25% to both to cover possible surcharges and parking fees.

Absolutely get hoppers, no question. I agree that at WDW they aren't needed, but they're a must at DL.

As far as other things to see in LA, where does one start? You could fill up a week or more with things to see!!!

Where are you planning on staying while visiting Disneyland?

In your last sentence you wrote that you wanted to save pennies.....well the first plan for saving is to not purchase a parkhopper. You will be arriving a lot later at Disneyland than you think on Thursday. So Thursday would be the day explore DCA and you could actually snap many photos that could fill in holes of California that you did not visit on your California Trip. For example, GRR is based on California history and geography. areas outside of the pier are modeled around california, as well as the Buena Vista street and hollywood area. So while you are snapping all those photos waiting for your next fastpass, how would you know when to hop over to Disneyland and how would you know how much time that would take? DCA is also a very different place to visit at night from what you saw during the day time, in particular Radiator Springs and dark mountain surrounds of Grizzly peak, those alone would take big chunks of time.

Then, on Friday, when you are overwhelmed at Disneyland, what would draw you back to DCA that you would so desperately need to see again that you needed to buy a parkhoppoer?

by not park hopping you will save nickels and also save energy for your Saturday visit to LA, not knowing where you lodging, it is hard to help you with your Sunday LA plans in relationship to arriving at the airport.

and then with the framework of your LA touring plans that you have shared with us.....you may actually be underwhelmed by Disneyland on this California visit....for as you scroll thru the postings, folks are telling you 2-3 full days for the disney visit....so far no one has told you that 1.5 day visit is good.

Here are some threads to get you started with your trip planning:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a great overview of the similarities and differences between WDW and DLR
Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information ~ 3TinksAndAnEeyore -- a lot of people like Uber/Lyft for quick, easy transport to/from LAX; keep in mind that the easiest, closest airport for DLR is SNA (aka John Wayne) -- this can make a big difference in getting to/from the parks quickly, which can be totally worth a higher price ticket
With all you are trying to do/see at DLR in the short amount of time you have, get the hoppers! They will help you make the most of MaxPass (If you get it) and you can always hop to one park when the other park gets too crowded. The parks are about a football field's length apart -- hopping is a breeze at DLR.
Max Pass:
FastPass, MaxPass (make sure to look at the tutorial videos in this thread)
MaxPass
First time MaxPass user...Help with tips and how to use.
In early May, be aware that the parks may be on low season/non-peak schedule -- so check the entertainment calendar as soon as it comes out (about 6 weeks before your dates) to make sure you can fit everything in that you want to see. TS reservations open up 60 days before your date, so be thinking about what dining packages (F! is highly recommended for the best viewing and the WOC Dessert Party is really fun), character meals, or TS meals (Blue Bayou?) you'd like.

Thanks for the link! Definitely reading through all of those!

Reading your report now! I think we will also end up doing a split stay in Anaheim and then a hotel near The Grove. I will be carefully reading your tips on getting by without a car!
I go to California / LA / Disneyland every year. I am a solo traveller and I dont drive, I use public transport. This is my June 2018 trip report.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...es-i-survived-with-no-maxpass-no-car.3692412/

I did a split stay, staying in Anaheim for Disney and then moving to an AirBnB in Hollywood.
I have put my Disneyland Touring Plan, as well as where I stayed, how I go around and places I went to in Hollywood

Where are you planning on staying while visiting Disneyland?...not knowing where you lodging, it is hard to help you with your Sunday LA plans in relationship to arriving at the airport.

" Where are you staying (sorry if I've missed that)? That might affect how you do your touring.

I'd try to save my 'full' days for the parks and I'd want 3 full days, rope drop to closing, so if you can split your car rental and do 2 24-hour rentals with a drop at LAX on departure day, I'd suggest you spend Sunday after arrival and getting settled doing La Brea Tar Pits and Santa Monica/Venice. Spend your last (partial) day seeing the Walk of Fame and Griffith Park before heading to the airport. You could head out super early and do the Walk of Fame (since it's, well, just a sidewalk) and then hit Griffith afterwards and spend the remainder of the day there. Head out around 3pm to get to the airport by 4. It doesn't actually take that long from that side of town, but LAX traffic is unpredictable, even on the weekends. If you can't split the rental, I think I'd try to pick up a rental EARLY at LAX on Saturday morning (Uber over), that way you'd have it to drive straight to the airport on Sunday which gives you additional time to sight see.

If the Getty is a 'must', then add it to your Tar Pits/Sta Monica day, but be prepared to rush around the first two to devote time to the Getty. And be sure you read the Getty website re parking as you park and take a tram.

Absolutely get hoppers, no question. I agree that at WDW they aren't needed, but they're a must at DL.

As far as other things to see in LA, where does one start? You could fill up a week or more with things to see!!!

We would be doing this all on points, so I'm thinking our best options would be the Hyatt House at the convention center in Anaheim and then a cheap hotel near The Grove as home base for our LA days. I love how affordable it is to stay within walking distance of Disneyland vs. walking distance to any of the Florida parks. And from the area around the Grove it doesn't look like too much of a drive to get to any of the tourist sites we're interested in. How much time do you need at Santa Monica/Venice Beach? Would 3-4 hours be enough?

I do like the idea of spending our two (not three! Whoops! We only have Friday and Saturday) full days in Disneyland, but I am worried about fighting more crowds on the weekend. I also found out that Grad Nights will be going on at DCA on Friday 5/10 and Saturday 5/11. Any insight for how this event affects crowds at Disneyland?

... We only have Friday and Saturday) full days in Disneyland, but I am worried about fighting more crowds on the weekend. I also found out that Grad Nights will be going on at DCA on Friday 5/10 and Saturday 5/11. Any insight for how this event affects crowds at Disneyland?
Check those AP Blockout Calendars! If the lower passes are blocked (ideally with only the top 3 passes -- Premier, Sig +, Sig -- allowed in), then Saturdays can be really good days. Mondays have been very crowded over this past year. (There is a thread on this -- you can do a search on this forum.) For how Grad Nites affect the parks: www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2298400.

Check those AP Blockout Calendars! If the lower passes are blocked (ideally with only the top 3 passes -- Premier, Sig +, Sig -- allowed in), then Saturdays can be really good days. Mondays have been very crowded over this past year. (There is a thread on this -- you can do a search on this forum.) For how Grad Nites affect the parks: www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2298400.

Awesome, thank you!

I live right across the street from the Grove, so I hope I can give you a few pointers about the time you want to spend outside of DLR!

It's a great area to base a visit out of. Pretty centrally located to all you want to do. Not sure how many "budget" hotels you'll find in the area (the Farmer's Daughter may have some decent rates; it's right across the street from the Farmer's Market).

You asked if any of the sights you had listed would be things to skip. In my opinion, that would be Hollywood Blvd. I'm so happy my entire family has seen it and I don't need to take visitors back. The Egyptian Theater has the hand/footprints which was my favorite part of the whole thing. If you can't live without it, and you're driving, park at Hollywood & Highland (the shopping center), buy a soda or candy bar at the snack cart to get your validation, and leave within the hour or two they give you for $2-$3. That should be all the time you need! No need to pay $10 or $15 on some of the surface lots.

I like the Tar Pits (also across the street from me), but I'd spend more time at the beach, Getty or Griffith Park before heading there. I've never actually paid to go inside the Page Museum; there is plenty to see in the park for free (ongoing excavations). My friends who have gone found it quite entertaining, however.

To get from Hollywood/West Hollywood to the beaches, you are probably looking at 20 minutes by car at best and possibly much longer depending on the time of day or week. Parking in Santa Monica is more plentiful than in Venice in my experience. Both are very touristy, but worth seeing. Having a drink on the deck of the Venice Whaler is one of my favorite ways to pass an afternoon. If you want a more laid back beach experience, you could visit Hermosa a little further south.

The Getty is absolutely wonderful, but I agree with others that it shouldn't be rushed. The great thing about it (especially if you have a group) is that you pay to park and then the museum is "free." $15 (cheaper after 3 pm I believe) can get you into both the Getty Center and the Getty Villa out on the PCH on the same day. On a clear day, the views from the Getty Center are outrageous and worth the visit by themselves!

Hope this helps a tiny bit :)

I live right across the street from the Grove, so I hope I can give you a few pointers about the time you want to spend outside of DLR!

It's a great area to base a visit out of. Pretty centrally located to all you want to do. Not sure how many "budget" hotels you'll find in the area (the Farmer's Daughter may have some decent rates; it's right across the street from the Farmer's Market).

You asked if any of the sights you had listed would be things to skip. In my opinion, that would be Hollywood Blvd. I'm so happy my entire family has seen it and I don't need to take visitors back. The Egyptian Theater has the hand/footprints which was my favorite part of the whole thing. If you can't live without it, and you're driving, park at Hollywood & Highland (the shopping center), buy a soda or candy bar at the snack cart to get your validation, and leave within the hour or two they give you for $2-$3. That should be all the time you need! No need to pay $10 or $15 on some of the surface lots.

I like the Tar Pits (also across the street from me), but I'd spend more time at the beach, Getty or Griffith Park before heading there. I've never actually paid to go inside the Page Museum; there is plenty to see in the park for free (ongoing excavations). My friends who have gone found it quite entertaining, however.

To get from Hollywood/West Hollywood to the beaches, you are probably looking at 20 minutes by car at best and possibly much longer depending on the time of day or week. Parking in Santa Monica is more plentiful than in Venice in my experience. Both are very touristy, but worth seeing. Having a drink on the deck of the Venice Whaler is one of my favorite ways to pass an afternoon. If you want a more laid back beach experience, you could visit Hermosa a little further south.

The Getty is absolutely wonderful, but I agree with others that it shouldn't be rushed. The great thing about it (especially if you have a group) is that you pay to park and then the museum is "free." $15 (cheaper after 3 pm I believe) can get you into both the Getty Center and the Getty Villa out on the PCH on the same day. On a clear day, the views from the Getty Center are outrageous and worth the visit by themselves!

Hope this helps a tiny bit :)

That does help, thank you! I am a chronic over-planner and always try to pack too much stuff into short trips, which can lead to exhaustion and burnout. I'm trying to get better at managing that side of myself! We've been lucky to see many world-class art museums so we might drop the Getty if the logistics and timeline don't work out. We'll just have to see how we feel when we get there, I think. An hour or so on Hollywood Blvd. sounds perfect, so I'm glad to hear that cheap parking is an option. And I didn't know the tar pits themselves were open to the public! That's cool, maybe that ticket admission money can go towards Hoppers at Disneyland. Thanks for your advice! I agree with the person upthread who said you could easily fill a week with non-Disney attractions in Southern California - I might just have to plan a longer trip!

And I didn't know the tar pits themselves were open to the public! That's cool, maybe that ticket admission money can go towards Hoppers at Disneyland.

My dad loves the tar pits...he takes daily walks over there on most of his visits! They're adjacent to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, so you can also visit the outdoor sculptures/Levitated Mass for free too! Or ride the escalator to the second floor viewing deck (again, much lovelier when the weather is clear - great view of the hills!). LACMA is closed on Wednesdays. There are usually a wide variety of food trucks across the street on Wilshire at lunch time too, especially on weekends.

Enjoy your trip!

Your time will be limited. Most of the attractions you've listed for L.A. are easily 1/2 to full day excursions. Pick 1 or 2 per day. You could probably combine the Getty and Santa Monica easily. I guess you could squeeze in the Hollywood Walk of Fame at night if you can hold up for a really long day. The drive time to get to everything in L.A. is crazy. What looks like 15 miles could take you an hour if you hit traffic the wrong way. Also keep in mind that all attractions in L.A. are quite far from Disneyland. Most of what you want to see is either in West L.A. or the northern area of the City. It'll be around 30+ minutes from the area around Disneyland by car.

You don't have to park hop at DLR. It's easy, but honestly, if you don't care about hopping for night entertainment, you can easily fill a day at each park.

Good luck!

Id recommend California Adventure on Thursday and Disneyland Friday. You're gonna need the whole day for Disneyland. Comin into LAX on Thursday morning it will honestly still take you a few hours to get to the park when considering rush hour traffic and just the size of the airport, and finding parking and getting through security at the park.

This might now be useful anymore, but historically Saturday was less busy because of blackout dates on season passes. If that comes back that might be a good day to go to Disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter