Connecting staterooms and noise

bcwife76

DisneyMomma
Are connecting staterooms noisier than ones that don't connect? Do you hear your neighbours more than if you didn't have that connecting door? We have a connecting room for our Alaskan cruise and it didn't occur to me that the noise would be an issue). Now I'm wondering if I should be worried? lol

I have only sailed Dream-class, but we always get connecting staterooms. We have never had a problem with noise from the kids' stateroom, especially when both doors are closed.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I do sometimes hear neighbors when I'm out on the verandah (and they are too) and more times than not it's adults bickering, not children acting up :rolleyes:

Just looked at deck plans and apparently I had a connecting cabin when I did GTY and got stuck there (mid-ship, middle deck...just not where I like to be). I'm sure I saw the door at the time, but since I couldn't remember I must not have heard anything.

Whether you hear your neighbor is more dependent on they being noisy than having a connecting door. We've had noisy neighbors where there was not a connecting door that were more noise intrusive. You essentially have 2 sealed exterior cabin doors between each unit to control sound and provide privacy where there is only the one cabin door between you and a hallway of possible noise. Maybe just us but sound from above or the hallway always seems more intrusive than immediately beside.

We've had a connecting cabin twice. On the Dream I never heard anything but on the Wonder, I definitely thought it was noisier with a connecting cabin compared to the non connecting cabins I've had.

We've had (requested ) the same room on the Magic twice that has a connecting door and never noticed noise, but we could have been lucky both times with quiet neighbors.

Yes! Connecting rooms are more noisy! Putting towels under the door do not keep out the noise. Crying kids, loud talking, sneezing, blaring tvs - never again for us. Maybe some had good luck (heck, we did once) and have quiet neighbors. And, maybe we have bad luck, but for these prices (or on any cruise line) I will never, ever book a connecting cabin again. We won't book a GTY cabin either - DCL has so many connecting cabins that I won't take that chance.

Hit or miss. I have had non connecting cabins with noisy neighbors and you could hear them so a lot depends on your neighbors. We have had pretty good luck with our connecting cabins. I would always book a *GT if I could to save money. I really don't mind where they put me.

MJ

As others have said, it seems more a function of how loud your neighbors are, and how receptive they are if you politely ask them to tone it down. And these are things you can't know ahead of time.

Look at it this way, you might switch out of your connecting room, only to end up next to someone loud and obnoxious that you would have avoided if you had stayed put. I don't think loud obnoxious people are more likely to pick connecting cabins, so to me, you may as well stay put.

Remember if you have noise issues, you have various ways to try to remedy it, but for now, I wouldn't worry about something that you can't control and may not happen.

Have a great trip!

Thanks everyone.
I think we will stay put for now. Changing cabins would mean spending more money and we're already in a verandah room for Alaska as it is, so I don't fancy spending even more $$. PIF date is a month away so I'll keep checking periodically to see if a non-connecting room comes up in our category, otherwise I won't worry about it and cross my fingers our neighbours aren't noisy ;-)

Also a good lesson for me, pay attention a bit more when booking lol And also, be aware of the amount of noise my own family and I make. We certainly don't want to end up being the noisy ones behind the door :thumbsup2

We had connecting rooms on the Fantasy (maybe the Magic class are different?) I couldn't hear anything when even one of the doors was closed and certainly not when both were closed. I heard noise from the hallway quite often, however.

FWIW, I've heard more from NON-connecting cabins than I ever have from connecting cabins. And that includes the connecting cabin with my parents, though we closed the doors at night - my dad snores LOUD (no apnea...just what he does), and I didn't hear him at all.

It really just depends on who is next to you.

We had a connecting door on the Wonder in January and had no noise from the adjacent room which I'm pretty sure had a family of 4 in it. I had brought some magnetic clips and hooks and used them on that door to hang up the navigators and some other stuff.

All the planning and money in the world goes right out the window (or overboard!) with a bad experience with noisy neighbors! In my 46 cruises, I have found you can cut your chances of hearing neighbors with a non-connecting cabin. Same goes for hotel rooms.

Are connecting staterooms noisier than ones that don't connect? Do you hear your neighbours more than if you didn't have that connecting door? We have a connecting room for our Alaskan cruise and it didn't occur to me that the noise would be an issue). Now I'm wondering if I should be worried? lol
With 6 cruises with connecting rooms, we've. NEVER had noise. On my last cruise, the family beside us had 3 small kids. Never hear noise.

We booked the same stateroom for our February 2018 cruise-it was a connecting cabin. We never heard noise from the neighbors, to the point that we wondered if anyone was staying there!:laughing:But, the magnets on the door told us otherwise. The only appreciable noise we heard (which was so annoying) was the constant moving around of furniture on the verandah above ours-almost as if a little one was pushing the chairs around nonstop-eek!

We have had several cruises where we had a connecting stateroom. And it was NEVER a problem. As long as your neighbor, on either side of your stateroom practices common courtesy it should not be a problem. I think we have more noise issues coming from people in the hallway.

Well, it seems we are the only ones who ever had noise issues with the connecting rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter