Congrats on not being sold separately! ~ a 20th anniversary trip report. New TR link 12/21

Excited to hear about your anniversary trip!

Unfortunately we were delayed by almost an hour once on the plane, as there were many passengers on connecting flights who were dealing with clearing customs.

While frustrating to be delayed that was very considerate of the airline to hold the flight. The connecting passengers must've been very stressed out and then relieved to see the flight was held for them. Just curious, were you flying Air Canada or Westjet?

Sounds like a great way to start your trip. Love that you are staying at AKL!!

Settling in to the savannah!

Upon arriving back at Jambo house, we received a text that our room was ready. I had put in a request for Zebra trail and was hoping for a.) a partial savannah view and b.) no nearby construction. Well, we scored on one but not the other. My research prior to the trip seemed to indicate that refurbishment work was only happening on the Kudu trail side of things but we soon came to discover that Zebra trail was being worked on as well. Disney really kept this on the downlow as we didn't receive a single email indicating that work was going on. It turned out to be a non issue as the crews were only there from 9-5, were very quiet and there were still plenty of animals around for us to enjoy.

Here a few room pics for you......
IMG_4531.JPG
The kitchenette was great. I loved having our own coffee maker as I brought my preferred brand and we did not have to face other humans in our quest for caffeine each morning. I ordered some groceries from Publix via Instacart (so easy!) and we enjoyed a relaxing breakfast on the balcony each morning. What a nice way to start each day!
IMG_4530.JPG
The bathroom was super clean with great water pressure and temperature.
IMG_4532.JPG
Loved the double sinks but there was absolutely no storage at all.
IMG_4533.JPG
Having the sofa bed made the room feel so much more spacious!
IMG_4534.JPG
This was the worst of the construction view.
IMG_4535.JPG
The partial savannah view made up for it though. I was three floors above where I had stayed in a standard room back in 2017.

Our bags hadn't arrived from Magical Express as yet but we had anticipated that and packed some things in a carry on. We decided to freshen up and change and we were soon on our way to Epcot!
IMG_4483.JPG
My poor husband would soon discover my obsession with photopass photographers......
IMG_4528.JPG
Bill had not been on Soarin' Around the World before so that was our first FP for the day. We politely requested section B and while we didn't get B1, B2 was almost as good. Next up was LwtL which we did have a FP for but it was not needed at all. I love this ride so much and discover something new every time. On this day, I found a new Hidden Mickey tree that I loved.
IMG_4485.JPG
I managed to persuade Bill that we had to meet Baymax so we headed in to line up. This was kind of an awkward meet as I don't know how close you are supposed to get to Baymax and I went to hug him and I think I got too close and he stepped backwards and I just felt weird.
Oh well! They can't all be Chip and Dale!
IMG_4489.JPG

*continued in next post*

Leaving Baymax, we headed over to Spaceship Earth where we enjoyed a trip through time. We had fun designing our future although I guess I am supposed to have a new husband in the future as Bill didn't show up in the picture, lol!
IMG_4487.JPG
We were both felling a bit peckish by this point so wandered over to Mexcio with hopes of getting a table at La Cava. We were worried at first as there was a line up but we discovered that was just for the bar and we were able to snag a table immediately. We lost no time in ordering the trio combo ~ Queso, guacamole, two kinds of salsa and chips. Everything was so good!
IMG_4491.JPG
Of course we needed some margaritas to go with all that yumminess. Bill went for the Maelstorm and I picked the cucumber. Both were excellent!
IMG_4492.JPGIMG_4493.JPG
You can see I am not letting that margarita go...... :rotfl: Our waiter was terrifc and brought over more chips when we ran out at no charge. The chips were piping hot and tasted house made, they were so fresh! I loved the queso in particular although the guac was really good too.

Once we finished up, we headed out to find a spot for Illuminations. I am going to miss it so much!
IMG_4502.JPG
My very favourite part is "We are One" with the lasers. I cry every time.
IMG_4503.JPG
And of course the finale was beautiful. I was happy we had plans to see it once again on our trip.
IMG_4505.JPG
After Illuminations, we strolled through World Showcase, just enjoying the ambiance and the beautiful warm evening. What a perfect first day!
IMG_4510.JPG

Joining in! I have been dying to hear all about this trip!!!!
:welcome: Jenny! I am happy you are here to join in on the fun!
Excited to hear about your anniversary trip!

While frustrating to be delayed that was very considerate of the airline to hold the flight. The connecting passengers must've been very stressed out and then relieved to see the flight was held for them. Just curious, were you flying Air Canada or Westjet?

Sounds like a great way to start your trip. Love that you are staying at AKL!!
:welcome:Lessa! Thanks for joining in! The delay wasn't too bad and I was happy for the connecting passengers. Customs in Toronto is a nightmare for connecting flights and I am sure they were feeling it. We were on Air Canada this trip. Yes, we were very happy to be staying at AKL, I just love it there. We had 4 nights there, then moved to CCV for 5 nights.

Me before our 1st trip ~ "Disney is so overrated, corporate blah, blah, blah. We can take the boys once" Me during our 1st trip ~ Wishes everyone in sight a magical day while skipping down Main Street USA. Randomly cries watches the Main Street Trolley show, during fireworks or any moment really. Thinks all food tastes better Mickey shaped. Starts plotting out how we will afford our next trip......
:goodvibes I love the thought of you skipping. :)
Affordability and air travel from Canada do not go hand in hand.... :(
Well... How about $250 WestJet bucks plus $100 round trip YWG - MCO sound?

Sounds like a great start to your trip. I cry during Illuminations too. Unfortunately we are not headed back to the world until June 2020 so I won’t get to see it again. So glad that you go to see it!

:goodvibes I love the thought of you skipping. :)

Well... How about $250 WestJet bucks plus $100 round trip YWG - MCO sound?
Ummm, incredible! How did you snag that deal??
Great way to end the day...margaritas and Illuminations.
It really was perfect! :goodvibes
Sounds like a great start to your trip. I cry during Illuminations too. Unfortunately we are not headed back to the world until June 2020 so I won’t get to see it again. So glad that you go to see it!
:welcome:, thanks for joining in! It really was a terrific first day. I felt so fortunate to see Illuminations again. I bet the new show will be wonderful too. I remember being so worried when Wishes was ending and now I love Happily Ever After just as much. Hopefully it will be the same for both of us with the new show. :)

What a perfect first day. Kudos for getting a savanna view even if it had some construction on the side. We had this happen once and it was one of our most magical stays.

So glad to hear you all were able to get a table at La Cava. I find its either empty or a mad house with no where in between. But those margaritas and chips are so worth waiting for. Glad you both enjoyed.

I'm hoping we can catch illuminations one last time next month. I'm not the huge fan that a lot of people are (I think I may miss the man doing the presented by Siemens countdown more than the actual show) but we haven't seen it in a few years so I want to make sure that Casey remembers it.

although I guess I am supposed to have a new husband in the future as Bill didn't show up in the picture, lol!

LOLOLOL!! Too funny!!

Queso, guacamole, two kinds of salsa and chips. Everything was so good!
IMG_4491.JPG
I've had that, and it's... DELICIOUS!!!

Here a few room pics for you......

Lovely room.

IMG_4534.JPG

This is not the nicest of views.

But this make up for it.

My poor husband would soon discover my obsession with photopass photographers......

Gotta get your money's worth, plus it's a great picture. You both look so happy.

I love this ride so much and discover something new every time. On this day, I found a new Hidden Mickey tree that I loved.

Me too.

We had fun designing our future although I guess I am supposed to have a new husband in the future as Bill didn't show up in the picture, lol!

:eek:

We lost no time in ordering the trio combo ~ Queso, guacamole, two kinds of salsa and chips. Everything was so good!
IMG_4491.JPG

YUM!

What a perfect first day!

You really did have a wonderful day.

What a perfect first day. Kudos for getting a savanna view even if it had some construction on the side. We had this happen once and it was one of our most magical stays.

So glad to hear you all were able to get a table at La Cava. I find its either empty or a mad house with no where in between. But those margaritas and chips are so worth waiting for. Glad you both enjoyed.

I'm hoping we can catch illuminations one last time next month. I'm not the huge fan that a lot of people are (I think I may miss the man doing the presented by Siemens countdown more than the actual show) but we haven't seen it in a few years so I want to make sure that Casey remembers it.
Thanks Kari! It was such a fun day! I hope you guys get to Illuminations, it'll be nice for Casey. Your trip is getting so close now! I wish I was going to be there in August too......is it wrong that I've been home for four days and already want to go back????
LOLOLOL!! Too funny!!

I've had that, and it's... DELICIOUS!!!
Oh my goodness, it was SO good! I really loved the intimate atmosphere at La Cava too. :)
Lovely room.

This is not the nicest of views.

But this make up for it.

Gotta get your money's worth, plus it's a great picture. You both look so happy.

Me too.

:eek:

YUM!

You really did have a wonderful day.
Thank you! We weren't thrilled with having construction close by but it really didn't impact us very much. Besides, we just looked the other way and had all our animal friends to enjoy. I have an AP and I find one of the best benefits is having Memory Maker included. I have so many pictures that I would not have access to otherwise. We really loved La Cava, have you ever eaten there?

We had a wonderful time......is it wrong that I want to plan another trip already??
I'm so glad! :goodvibes No, it's not wrong at all - I say get planning right away! :thumbsup2

Next up was LwtL which we did have a FP for but it was not needed at all. I love this ride so much and discover something new every time.
Me, too! I could ride this on repeat and never get bored.

Bill went for the Maelstorm and I picked the cucumber. Both were excellent!
Ooooh, I've been wanting to try the cucumber one!

Once we finished up, we headed out to find a spot for Illuminations. I am going to miss it so much!
I'm heartbroken. I love that Disney changes things up, but it feels like a lot lately... I'm still not over Great Movie Ride :sad: Illuminations is something that I think is timeless and unnecessary to change. But... Disney didn't consult me before making the decision :sad2: :laughing:

Looking forward to reading more! :thumbsup2

Yay! So glad you are here. :goodvibes It was the loveliest trip and I just can't believe how fast 10 days went by. Thank you for the compliment on my dress, I was doing a Disneybound that night. Any guesses?

Were you Disneybounding as Aurora?

Epcot evenings are the best, and it sounds like yours was no exception to the rule. :goodvibes
Baymax is such a hard character to interact with! Do you hug him? Pat his arm? Stand awkwardly next to him for a photo?!:laughing:

It's great to hear you got to watch IllumiNations on your trip. So bittersweet watching it now with the end so near. Hopefully, whatever new song they have to accompany the replaced show will be a poignant as We Go On.

Customs in Toronto is a nightmare for connecting flights and I am sure they were feeling it. We were on Air Canada this trip.

I thought that might be the case. Our nightmare with customs and trying to catch an Orlando flight was also when we were flying Air Canada. I wonder if they just don't staff the customs and immigration area in Terminal 1 properly?

Exciting to get that partial Savanna view!

Photopass photographers, got to love them. I also drive my family crazy stopping at them all the time.

I wish I had the guts to ask for Section B on Soarin. I always think about it but then get too self-conscious when I get to the cast member that directs us where to go.

was hoping for a.) a partial savannah view and b.) no nearby construction. Well, we scored on one but not the other
Not bad. Got something at least.
Disney really kept this on the downlow as we didn't receive a single email indicating that work was going on.
:( Not cool.
we did not have to face other humans in our quest for caffeine each morning.
:laughing: Perish the thought! Having to see another person before you're awake???? Just no!
That's not too bad...
The partial savannah view made up for it though.
But that's much better. :)
:laughing: Surprise!
"We're just going to stop one more time, here..."
"AGAIN????"
We politely requested section B and while we didn't get B1, B2 was almost as good.
::yes::
Although I much prefer the top row, I just learned that it was actually designed for B2. Who knew?
This was kind of an awkward meet as I don't know how close you are supposed to get to Baymax and I went to hug him and I think I got too close and he stepped backwards and I just felt weird.
:laughing: Baymax has personal space boundaries.
I've always thought it's so in case you have something sharp... like a Disney pin and he'd pop like a balloon and fly around the room.
We had fun designing our future although I guess I am supposed to have a new husband in the future as Bill didn't show up in the picture, lol!
:lmao: He looks quite young, too. Way to go Susan!!
we were able to snag a table immediately.
Nice. I'm so used to ADRs in hard to get places, that I forget you can actually dine without them hear and there.
Of course we needed some margaritas to go with all that yumminess.
But of course.
You can see I am not letting that margarita go...... :rotfl:
I've never been that attached to it. I'm actually looking forward to something new.
My very favourite part is "We are One" with the lasers. I cry every time.
Awwww... :hug:
What a perfect first day!
:goodvibes

I'm so glad! :goodvibes No, it's not wrong at all - I say get planning right away! :thumbsup2

Me, too! I could ride this on repeat and never get bored.

Ooooh, I've been wanting to try the cucumber one!

I'm heartbroken. I love that Disney changes things up, but it feels like a lot lately... I'm still not over Great Movie Ride :sad: Illuminations is something that I think is timeless and unnecessary to change. But... Disney didn't consult me before making the decision :sad2: :laughing:

Looking forward to reading more! :thumbsup2
I am seriously thinking to trying to do a quick weekend for the Candlelight Processional and Christmas party. I know we bonded over our mutual love for LwtL when we met. :) Definitely put the cucumber margarita on your list for August, it's so good! I really think Disney needs to consult their loyal fans before they make all these changes, right??
Joining in. Really enjoying this trip report. Thanks, suse66!
:welcome: and thanks for following along!!
Were you Disneybounding as Aurora?

Epcot evenings are the best, and it sounds like yours was no exception to the rule. :goodvibes
Baymax is such a hard character to interact with! Do you hug him? Pat his arm? Stand awkwardly next to him for a photo?!:laughing:

It's great to hear you got to watch IllumiNations on your trip. So bittersweet watching it now with the end so near. Hopefully, whatever new song they have to accompany the replaced show will be a poignant as We Go On.
You are right!!! I really wanted to meet her as well but the line was long and DH was over character meets for the day. Yes, nothing beats a lovely evening at Epcot. I am always happy to just wander around World Showcase and browse around. The whole Baymax meet was just weird.....I obviously did something wrong because he moved back away from me. I am hoping for the best with the new show.
I thought that might be the case. Our nightmare with customs and trying to catch an Orlando flight was also when we were flying Air Canada. I wonder if they just don't staff the customs and immigration area in Terminal 1 properly?

Exciting to get that partial Savanna view!

Photopass photographers, got to love them. I also drive my family crazy stopping at them all the time.

I wish I had the guts to ask for Section B on Soarin. I always think about it but then get too self-conscious when I get to the cast member that directs us where to go.
You know, as long as you are polite and don't mind waiting, the CMs are very accommodating. I wouldn't worry about asking as the worst they can say is no. I don't know what the scoop is with security and customs at Pearson...I am always so relieved to get through it and be on the other side! We spent lots of time on our balcony enjoying the animals, one of my favourite parts of being at AKL! :)
No idea! I just logged on to look and... booked it immediately.
Such an amazing deal!
Not bad. Got something at least.

:( Not cool.

:laughing: Perish the thought! Having to see another person before you're awake???? Just no!

That's not too bad...

But that's much better. :)

:laughing: Surprise!
"We're just going to stop one more time, here..."
"AGAIN????"

::yes::
Although I much prefer the top row, I just learned that it was actually designed for B2. Who knew?

:laughing: Baymax has personal space boundaries.
I've always thought it's so in case you have something sharp... like a Disney pin and he'd pop like a balloon and fly around the room.

:lmao: He looks quite young, too. Way to go Susan!!

Nice. I'm so used to ADRs in hard to get places, that I forget you can actually dine without them hear and there.

But of course.

View attachment 417623

I've never been that attached to it. I'm actually looking forward to something new.

Awwww... :hug:
You know, I totally get that refurbs are part of Disney, it just would have been nice to have been informed. Poor Bill came to realize that we were going to have our pictures taken multiple times. Oh well, I plied him with food and drink so he really didn't mind too much, :laughing:. I guess I am a bit sentimental about Disney...I do like my tried and true attractions but it will be good to have something new to look forward too.
Great start! Following along!
:welcome:, thank you for joining in!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!