Congrats on not being sold separately! ~ a 20th anniversary trip report. New TR link 12/21

What a nice relaxing day. Sounds like you made the most out of your MK time.
Thank you! I love to have time at the resorts, especially on a long 10 day trip like ours. We had a lot of fun at MK, even though the crowds were nutty! :)
A DisMeet would be nice.
It would be great! I am at Epcot on the 14th, DS and MK for the party on the 15th and AK on the 16th. It is a short but sweet trip for me this time around.

Last edited:
What an all around perfect day! Your time at the pool sounded so relaxing and your dinner at Ohana delicious! And of course any night in MK is a good one, sounds like you got on some good rides!

What an all around perfect day! Your time at the pool sounded so relaxing and your dinner at Ohana delicious! And of course any night in MK is a good one, sounds like you got on some good rides!
It really was, Alexis! So many wonderful memories of a perfect trip. :)

It would be great! I am at Epcot on the 14th, DS and MK for the party on the 15th and AK on the 16th. It is a short but sweet trip for me this time around.

We're coming in on the 14th then headed to DHS. We're doing Epcot on the 15th & MK on the 16th. Back to Epcot in the morning and then the party on the 17th. Hopefully we can cross paths @ Pop.

I loved the luxury of putting on a pot of coffee and just relaxing while I woke up.
What is this "relaxing" you speak of?
We were obsessed with the Chobani Key Lime greek yogurt as we can't buy that brand in Canada.
Whoa! That sounds good! I think they need to bring it up here.
recently re-married late in life after their partners passed away.
Sad yet happy.
we were going to Ohana for dinner tonight and didn't want to be too full.
Because you ain't coming out of there not full!
IMG_0946.jpeg

Bill is giving me "the look" for taking his picture, lol!
:laughing:
They were being super strict with security tonight, even scanning my magic band to ensure we had a dining reservation.
Huh. Wonder why?
Imagine our delight when we were led to a window side table with a view of the castle (way in the distance).
Good for you! (I see it!)
I mean, drinks served in pineapples are always more delicious, right????
Well... I don't do rum... so I guess I'll never know.
I did my best to eat my body weight's worth of potstickers and chicken wings,
:lmao:
liberally dunked in peanut sauce.
So... nut allergy but you can do peanut sauce?
Bill really enjoyed the steak and shrimp skewers
That'd be what I'd focus on too.
I didn't eat as much of the meat though as my favourite dessert in the world was soon to make an appearance.......
<sigh> Some day I'd love to dine there. I just don't feel right about going by myself. Perhaps there'll be another group event there.
It was our first time in the Magic Kingdom together in three and a half years and I was just thrilled to be there together!
It shows in your smiles. :)
Of course, our first ride had to be the People Mover!!
IMG_4546.JPG
:thumbsup2
Bill did not understand the importance of this shot but I managed to convince him that it is an essential People Mover experience!
Tell him from us. Yes. Extremely important.
We headed over to Liberty Square for Haunted Mansion and obviously had no clue where the camera is for the new ride photo, lol!
IMG_4903.JPG
:laughing:
I love the reflections in the water here.....
IMG_4551.JPG
Pretty shot. :)

Fun at Animal Kingdom

We started the day with coffee and a light breakfast on the balcony watching our giraffe friend on the savannah. Could there be a more perfect way to start the day??

IMG_4556.JPG
Since we had so much fun at the pool yesterday, we decided that would be a great idea yet again. We headed down for a soak in the hot tub first, then made our way over to our favourite shady corner to set up camp. After a couple of hours just floating around in the pool, playing on the waterslide, lounging around and reading, we were feeling a little hungry. As we had a big lunch coming up later on at Yak and Yeti, we didn't want anything too heavy so decided to share the bounty platter. This was enormous, with scrambled eggs, 2 strips of bacon, 2 pieces of sausage, a Mickey waffle, pap and chakala. It hit the spot and was a perfect item to share. We had FP plans coming up at Animal Kingdom so headed back up to our room to get ready. Staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge, it is so easy to just pop over to Animal Kingdom. Soon enough we were walking through the gates and stopping for our tree of life photo.
IMG_4588.JPG
It was just after 12 and we had some time until our FoP FP so we thought we'd check the app for anything with a short wait. Dinosaur was showing 20 minutes so we thought we'd head in that direction. We were lucky enough to run into two friends on the way there. First Devine and then Kevin!
IMG_4557.JPGIMG_4558.JPG
IMG_4559.JPG
Dinosaur ended up being a a bit longer wait than we had hoped for as there was a massive tour group checking in at the FP line. We finally got on and had a fun, if bumpy, ride back through time. Once we were off we had to rush back to Pandora as we were getting close to the end of our FP window. First we stopped for a picture and then tapped in for our ride on a Banshee.
IMG_4586.JPG
Bill enjoyed his first time of Flights of Passage but was feeling a bit dizzy and nauseous after the ride. We found a shady spot to sit and relax for a bit while we listened to the drum show and took in the beautiful scenery.
IMG_4560.JPG
We were supposed to have lunch right at 2:00 but neither of us were hungry and Bill wanted to explore around Pandora a bit. I got on the app and was able to switch our Finding Nemo the Musical FP to 2:00 and moved Yak and Yeti to 3:30. We really enjoyed the Nemo show so much and it was lovely to relax a bit in the dark, cool theatre. After the show, we headed to Yak and Yeti where they couldn't find our reservation, there were big groups of people waiting and just an air of general confusion. The young man at the desk suggested we go have a drink at the bar and we were soon settled in with drinks in hand.
IMG_4563.JPGIMG_4566.JPG
Yummy Yak Attacks!! In fact, we so happy sitting there we decided to just order our meals right there.

*continued in next post*

Last edited:

The bartenders were super friendly and attentive and gave us menus so that we could order our meals. They had crab cakes on the bar menu which I can never resist, while Bill went for the fish tacos. Both our meals were absolutely delicious!
IMG_4568.JPG
The crab cakes were nearly all crab with the most awesome mango salsa on top and a spicy siracha aioli.
IMG_4569.JPG
Bill loved his fish tacos, the mahi mahi was juicy and flavourful while the slaw complimented it perfectly.
We thought about dessert and almost chose to forgo but we were swayed by the mango pie. This was creamy and delicious, a perfect treat to share.
IMG_4570.JPG
After finishing up our lovely meal, we headed over to tap in for our FP on Kali River Rapids. Unfortunately it was down due to lightening in the area so we headed to take in the Up Bird show instead. We really enjoyed the show and it seems to be taking on more of an educational slant again as the bird keepers played a much bigger role, sharing lots of information about the birds with the audience. As we were at the show, our Kali FP turned into an anytime FP so we decided to use it to Visit Mickey and Minnie at Adventurer's Outpost on the way out of the park. We had such a perfect AK afternoon!
IMG_4587.JPG
Upon arriving back at the resort we decided to check out the savannah to see what animals were out active. Imagine our delight to see so many friends out and about. We each had a glass of wine and enjoyed just taking it all in.
IMG_4573.JPG
IMG_4572.jpeg
Originally we had thought about heading to Disney Springs for the evening but the crowds and traffic of the night before made us rethink those plans. We were feeling stuffed from our huge lunch at Y&Y and really only wanted a snack and a drink. So we headed down to Victoria Fall's lounge where Bill went for a G&T with a South African gin and I chose the white wine flight.
IMG_4579.JPG
IMG_4583.JPG
We also shared the warm goat cheese dip with assorted breads and crackers. This was so good and just enough for us to enjoy. We took some time admiring the details of the lounge and chatting and relaxing. I particularly loved the giraffe heads all around each light fixture. The theming at AKL is just wonderful!
IMG_4584.JPG
After finishing our drinks we headed out to the overlook and had a lovely chat with one of the cultural representatives there. We then decided to try out the night vision goggles for a little night time animal viewing. That was the perfect ending for another wonderful Disney day!

We started the day with coffee and a light breakfast on the balcony watching our giraffe friend on the savannah. Could there be a more perfect way to start the day??
How about if the giraffe came over and you could hand feed it?
What if it stuck its head in your room to be hand fed?
As we had a big lunch coming up later on at Yak and Yeti, we didn't want anything too heavy so decided to share the bounty platter. This was enormous
Sure! Don't have anything heavy... just an enormous platter. :laughing:
Staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge, it is so easy to just pop over to Animal Kingdom.
Oh? I guess it's a short bus ride, but... you still have to wait for that bus, no?
We were lucky enough to run into two friends on the way there. First Devine and then Kevin!
Both of them! Lucky! I haven't seen Devine in a while.
Bill enjoyed his first time of Flights of Passage but was feeling a bit dizzy and nauseous after the ride.
Yeah, I get that. I'm not sure if I'd enjoy doing that twice back to back (if that were even possible.)
After the show, we headed to Yak and Yeti where they couldn't find our reservation, there were big groups of people waiting and just an air of general confusion.
Huh. That's really weird.
The bartenders were super friendly and attentive and gave us menus so that we could order our meals.
So they never found your ADR, then?
Both our meals were absolutely delicious!
Glad you had a better experience than we did!
We thought about dessert and almost chose to forgo but we were swayed by the mango pie. This was creamy and delicious, a perfect treat to share.
Oh, man... I may go back just for that.
We then decided to try out the night vision goggles for a little night time animal viewing.
How was that?

What is this "relaxing" you speak of?
Relaxing is an integral part of my Disney vacation, especially when travelling with my DH. His job is so stressful so I made sure I built in lots of time for him to unwind.
Whoa! That sounds good! I think they need to bring it up here.
It is the best yogurt. We also got it in coconut which was just as good.
Sad yet happy.
They were just the nicest couple!
Because you ain't coming out of there not full!
Sadly that was our last Ohana meal for a while. Our stomachs just can't handle all you care to enjoy anymore.
Huh. Wonder why?
I think it was because they were showing the 4th fireworks this night (July 3) as well and so many people would want to watch them from the Poly beach.
So... nut allergy but you can do peanut sauce?
Yes because peanuts aren't nuts. They are a member of the legume family.
<sigh> Some day I'd love to dine there. I just don't feel right about going by myself. Perhaps there'll be another group event there.
So, I would just pop over to Tambu lounge. You can order the potstickers and the chicken wings there as well as the bread pudding and enjoy a beverage too.
How about if the giraffe came over and you could hand feed it?
What if it stuck its head in your room to be hand fed?
Well, that would be incredible. Unlikely but incredible!
Sure! Don't have anything heavy... just an enormous platter. :laughing:
Is 1/2 of an enormous platter really enormous or just kind of big??? I had the bacon, Bill had the sausage and we split everything else. I can't imagine one person being able to eat that by themselves.
Both of them! Lucky! I haven't seen Devine in a while.
I adore Devine. We saw Kevin several times that day. :)
So they never found your ADR, then?
Once we decided to sit at the bar, I went back to the podium and told them not to bother holding a table for us. They were very disorganized that day.
Glad you had a better experience than we did!
We have always had good luck at Y&Y.
Oh, man... I may go back just for that.
Go sit at the bar and order it there.
How was that?
It's interesting because you can see the animals moving around where you wouldn't think anything was there. The guides told us to be very careful as apparently you can damage your vision if you look at any lights when using night vision googles.

Sounds like a lovely trip so far!

Hubby and I have only been to WDW once without the kiddos, and we stayed at the AKL too! We didn't even go into the parks, but we so enjoyed hanging at the resort and venturing to other resorts to explore and eat! Reading your trip report is bringing back wonderful memories for me! Thank you for sharing!

Also, isn't that mango pie so yummy? I have not actually eaten at the Yak & Yeti, but when we are in Animal Kingdom, I always go to the bar and order a slice of mango pie to go, and we all share it as one of our treats for the day! Love it!

Relaxing is an integral part of my Disney vacation, especially when travelling with my DH. His job is so stressful so I made sure I built in lots of time for him to unwind.
:hug: Glad you did that then. :)
It is the best yogurt. We also got it in coconut which was just as good.
Nope!!!! Pkondz does not do coconut!
Sadly that was our last Ohana meal for a while. Our stomachs just can't handle all you care to enjoy anymore.
Why I don’t go alone. Won’t eat enough to justify it.
I think it was because they were showing the 4th fireworks this night (July 3) as well and so many people would want to watch them from the Poly beach.
Ah!
Yes because peanuts aren't nuts. They are a member of the legume family.
::yes:: I had an uncle exactly like that.
So, I would just pop over to Tambu lounge. You can order the potstickers and the chicken wings there as well as the bread pudding and enjoy a beverage too.
You’re the second person who’s told me that. I can take a hint! :)
Is 1/2 of an enormous platter really enormous or just kind of big??? I had the bacon, Bill had the sausage and we split everything else. I can't imagine one person being able to eat that by themselves.
I’m gonna go with “kind of big”. :laughing:
Once we decided to sit at the bar, I went back to the podium and told them not to bother holding a table for us. They were very disorganized that day.
Very un-Disney-like
Go sit at the bar and order it there.
Yes ma’am.
It's interesting because you can see the animals moving around where you wouldn't think anything was there. The guides told us to be very careful as apparently you can damage your vision if you look at any lights when using night vision googles.
Really! I’m shocked that they allow it then!

What a nice day! I just love AKL and AK park. I do think you can relax more at AKL then some of the other resorts. The vibe is such!

Y&Y is always a good choice, I’m glad the bar ended up being a good spot since who knows where your reservation went.

My sister and I tried to have a drink at the bar area and each time we couldn’t find seats! It is a popular little bar.

I've always wanted to try those nighttime viewing goggles!!!
They are pretty cool! It was a nice activity to do on a resort evening.
Sounds like a lovely trip so far!

Hubby and I have only been to WDW once without the kiddos, and we stayed at the AKL too! We didn't even go into the parks, but we so enjoyed hanging at the resort and venturing to other resorts to explore and eat! Reading your trip report is bringing back wonderful memories for me! Thank you for sharing!

Also, isn't that mango pie so yummy? I have not actually eaten at the Yak & Yeti, but when we are in Animal Kingdom, I always go to the bar and order a slice of mango pie to go, and we all share it as one of our treats for the day! Love it!
:welcome:, thanks for joining in! AKL is a wonderful option for a resort only stay. It is so relaxing and lovely. Thanks for the hint on the mango pie from the bar. I will remember that for sure! :)
You’re the second person who’s told me that. I can take a hint! :)
See.......we are full of good ideas here on the Disboards!
Very un-Disney-like
It was a bit off putting. They seemed really overwhelmed.
Yes ma’am.
Oh dear.....that was a bit directive, wasn't it?? Nonetheless, I have really come to appreciate eating at the bar as a great way to try out restaurants for appies and desserts without feeling obligated to order a full meal.
Really! I’m shocked that they allow it then!
You know, I wondered about that too. There was no signage up either. Just the CM verbally giving the disclaimer. What if they forgot to tell someone? Would Disney be liable for any injuries?
What a nice day! I just love AKL and AK park. I do think you can relax more at AKL then some of the other resorts. The vibe is such!

Y&Y is always a good choice, I’m glad the bar ended up being a good spot since who knows where your reservation went.

My sister and I tried to have a drink at the bar area and each time we couldn’t find seats! It is a popular little bar.
I completely agree Caroline. The whole vibe at AKL is just so relaxed. Animal Kingdom Park is becoming our favourite park to visit.....there is so much to do without going on a single ride. The restaurants and lounges are great too.

See.......we are full of good ideas here on the Disboards!
::yes::
Oh dear.....that was a bit directive, wasn't it?? Nonetheless, I have really come to appreciate eating at the bar as a great way to try out restaurants for appies and desserts without feeling obligated to order a full meal.
Not directive at all. :)
I've included the mango pie in my Disney wish list (with a note to try it in the bar thanks to @suse66 )
You know, I wondered about that too. There was no signage up either. Just the CM verbally giving the disclaimer. What if they forgot to tell someone? Would Disney be liable for any injuries?
"Guest blinded by Disney"... has a certain... expensive ring to it.

Sub in a bloody mary and you've got me sold :D

Dinosaur ended up being a a bit longer wait than we had hoped for as there was a massive tour group checking in at the FP line.
Oh no! I haven't seen one of these in a while. Hope the trend isn't picking back up.

Yummy Yak Attacks!! In fact, we so happy sitting there we decided to just order our meals right there.
Oh how I miss being able to eat at a bar. Love the kiddo and all, but your and Bills trip is so the way Jason and I used to love to do it. Low key, chill, do what you want when you want to. Perfection!

We each had a glass of wine and enjoyed just taking it all in.
IMG_4573.JPG
Now this the best end to a day.

Oh my goodness, it was SO good! I really loved the intimate atmosphere at La Cava too. :)

OH me too!!! Next to Nomad, it's hands down my favorite lounge. Then again, I have the Tutto Wine Bar, Wine Bar George and Geyser Point on my list too.

We were obsessed with the Chobani Key Lime greek yogurt as we can't buy that brand in Canada.

My favorite yogurt EVER!

We hoped to get into Trader Sam's but they had opened at 3:00 and it was a long wait.

I've been twice and both times had long waits. I had hoped it'd die down by now, but it doesn't sound like it. It's on our list to visit in a few weeks with my over-21's so we'll see...

I mean, drinks served in pineapples are always more delicious, right????

Um, that's a definititive yes.

awww! Just perfect!

That's quite a lovely photo.

We were lucky enough to run into two friends on the way there. First Devine and then Kevin!

Both are elusive and such fun finds.

In fact, we so happy sitting there we decided to just order our meals right there.
A perfect solution to what sounded like chaos. I have found that eating in the lounges is a pretty good option.

We thought about dessert and almost chose to forgo but we were swayed by the mango pie.

Well, doesn't that sound amazing!

We also shared the warm goat cheese dip with assorted breads and crackers. This was so good and just enough for us to enjoy. We took some time admiring the details of the lounge and chatting and relaxing. I particularly loved the giraffe heads all around each light fixture. The theming at AKL is just wonderful!
IMG_4584.JPG
What a delightful evening!

I've included the mango pie in my Disney wish list (with a note to try it in the bar thanks to @suse66 )
I hope you love it! :)
"Guest blinded by Disney"... has a certain... expensive ring to it.
Very, very expensive!!
Oh no! I haven't seen one of these in a while. Hope the trend isn't picking back up.
We saw 5 or 6 different groups over 10 days. They weren't annoying or obnoxious at all, no loud chanting etc. It's just that they slowed down the lines as a large group went through.
Oh how I miss being able to eat at a bar. Love the kiddo and all, but your and Bills trip is so the way Jason and I used to love to do it. Low key, chill, do what you want when you want to. Perfection!
It really was amazing! It was Bill's first kid free trip as he hadn't been back since 2016 and as much as we love our boys, he was super happy to be able to just hang out together. We loved the flexibility and totally laid back vibe.
Now this the best end to a day.
It could not have been better. :goodvibes
OH me too!!! Next to Nomad, it's hands down my favorite lounge. Then again, I have the Tutto Wine Bar, Wine Bar George and Geyser Point on my list too.
Yep Nomad is our #1 with Geyser Point a close 2nd. La Cava probably comes in 3rd. I haven't tried Tutto Gusto yet but am looking forward to it. We also enjoyed Crews Cup on past trips and I like Abracadabar for drinks.
My favorite yogurt EVER!
So delicious!!!!!!
That's quite a lovely photo.
Thank you so much, that is high praise coming from you. :goodvibes
A perfect solution to what sounded like chaos. I have found that eating in the lounges is a pretty good option.
I adore the lounges. As I usually pay OOP , I have the flexibility to eat wherever I choose which I really enjoy. :)
What a delightful evening!
It couldn't have been better. For two Canadians, we didn't want to get swept up in all the crowds and excitement of the 4th at Disney. A low key, relaxing evening suited us perfectly.
:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter