confuzzled over sales tax tipping etc

MadViBe

Earning My Ears
hi. I thought I had everything straight in my head regarding tipping. When dining inside and outside of Wdw I need to be tipping table service meals not counter services or takeout. I have just noticed via photos of menus within Wdw that prices don't include sales tax.
OM actual G. I am so confused. My lovely English shops and restaurants do all this adding up for me lol. My head is not used to math
Do I need to add sales tax to everything I buy in the US like Grocerys and gift shop goodies
am going to have to bring a calculator

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

sales tax is added by the merchant. So if a meal or an item was $10.00, assuming a 7% tax rate for example, they would say, $10.70, please. You don't calculate your own tax.

Tips are up to you. Unless of course you at WDW and have a party of 6 or more, than 18% is added to your bill.

Yes, you pay sales tax on most purchases. I believe that Orlando sales tax is 6.5%, but someone else will know for sure. When ordering from a menu, tax is not included in the price of the menu item. Tax is a separate line item on the bill when it comes. You generally tip on the food and beverage total, excluding sales tax. I think Disney restaurants even provide you (or used to) with the amounts for 15%, 18%, and 20%, so you don't have to do the math by yourself.

The basic Sales Tax rate in Florida is 6.0% and is on most goods and services. The counties have an option, by vote of their residents, to add a surtax of 0.25%, 0.5%, 1.0% or 1.5% to the state rate.

Orange County, which is most of WDW, has a surtax of 0.5% so purchases (including meals) are taxed at 6.5%.

Osceola County, which has the All-Stars Resorts and Wide World of Sports in it, has a 1.0% surtax so purchases at those locations are subject to a 7.0% tax.

In addition, counties are allowed to have a tax on transient lodging. In both Orange and Osceola Counties it is 6.0%, so all lodging except the All Stars is 12.5% while the All Stars, in Osceola County, is 13.0%.

Mike (CPA Retired)

Thankyou all for the info, I understand that the merchant will add the tax. I will have to remember that the price listed for things is not the actual full price, I guess it's just a case of getting used to adding the right %. Don't want to think something is affordable and then get a shock at the till lol. thanks again

Thankyou all for the info, I understand that the merchant will add the tax. I will have to remember that the price listed for things is not the actual full price, I guess it's just a case of getting used to adding the right %. Don't want to think something is affordable and then get a shock at the till lol. thanks again

For store purchases such as souvenirs, candy, shirts, etc add 7 cents for every dollar on the listed price to make things easier. This way you are over compensating for price. So a $10 ticket price would be $10.70 in that aspect. That way you have a better way to look at it than percentages.

For food think that 7 cents more for every dollar plus an additional 18 cents per a dollar of listed price for tip. So adding an addition 25 cents per a dollar (7 for tax 18 for tip) on listed price when figuring out total will take into consideration tax and tip so you know what you can afford.

I've lived in the states my entire life and in Florida that is what I do. It helps me figure out before getting to the register what it will most likely cost and at dinners it makes sure I don't spend more than I have so I don't become a terrible tipper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter