Confused about prepaid tips

Yep. Children require the same, if not more, attention from servers and stateroom attendants!

Indeed. I was more than happy to tip $12/night for my infant son. Never had to look twice at a diaper in the stateroom and the serving team went above and beyond to bring him foods and dote on him during dinner, not the mention the giant mess he left on the table and under it.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

Just wanted to confirm - if you do not give the coupons to your server, room steward, etc. (but still pay the tip), they still get the tip, right? When we were on our 7-night Fantasy last month we didn't see our MDR server to give him the envelope (we didn't get the envelopes until after dinner and we didn't attend breakfast on the last day), but we paid the autogratuity and assumed he got it.

Just wanted to confirm - if you do not give the coupons to your server, room steward, etc. (but still pay the tip), they still get the tip, right? When we were on our 7-night Fantasy last month we didn't see our MDR server to give him the envelope (we didn't get the envelopes until after dinner and we didn't attend breakfast on the last day), but we paid the autogratuity and assumed he got it.

Yes, as long as the auto-gratuity is left in place, everyone will get their tips.

And after all this--can easily understand why the OP was confused:)

I still am a bit, but hope things are more clear once we're onboard.

I guess a better question (and easier to answer) is-- Is there anyone even remotely connected with the Cruise that you DON'T tip??:):)

The most iritating thing to me is that they say you don't need cash--the ship is a cashless proposition.

But then it appears that you DO need cash.....

I always give more however if I never see the head waiter...the one that gets $7....I dont give him anything..if he stops buy once than he gets double that from us....its only $7 per person but if on 7 days he cant stop by our table like they are supposed to do and introduce themselves than they dont get tipped...unless I see he is working hard and just cant stop by....than we will introduce ourselves....

you sometimes have them only stop by last night of the cruise and say hi...why you ask???? because that is when you hand them the envelope...:lmao: t that point all bets are off.

We always double our room stewart, and waiters...they work their butts off for sure! :thumbsup2 Also give a good tip for room service...who wants to be delivering a steak sandwich to my teen boys at 2am:crazy2::beach:

I'm confused. What would I pay for a 7night cruise for two adults and 1 child, concierge?! And I would like to pre-pay, do I tell my TA?

I'm confused. What would I pay for a 7night cruise for two adults and 1 child, concierge?! And I would like to pre-pay, do I tell my TA?

The suggested gratuity is $12.00 per day for each of you. So, 3(people) X $12 X 7 (days) = $252.00. DCL does suggest a gratuity for the Concierge host also, but we've never been concierge, so, sorry, I don't know what that is.

To pre-pay just let your TA know, and he/she will contact DCL and have it added to the cruise fare.

I am lucky, I have never had the phantom head server problem. Both cruises, Harry Simmons was our head server and he was visiting us regularly, sometimes twice a night.

A little tip (pun, pun) for everyone: Save your tip coupons: its like a ticket stubs you can keep. That way next cruise when you want to request certain staff, you have their full legal names right there. I wish I had done that.

Okay thank you that helps. So we have porters not on and off the ship. What about the DCL transfer drivers? Do they generally receive tips as well? Anyone else onboard the ship outside of room service and of course in the spa for any services. Do you tip at BBB?

The FGIT are not allowed to receive tips at BBB. We tried, and she suggested we write how we enjoyed the experience with her on a comment card.

The FGIT are not allowed to receive tips at BBB. We tried, and she suggested we write how we enjoyed the experience with her on a comment card.

FGIT? (Dont say that outloud!). I thought I had heard every acronym there is.

FGIT? (Dont say that outloud!). I thought I had heard every acronym there is.

Hahaha!! Fairy Godmothers in Training. I'm not sure it's a "real" acronym...I just figured everybody would know what I meant! Y'all are a knowledgable group here!!!

The suggested gratuity is $12.00 per day for each of you. So, 3(people) X $12 X 7 (days) = $252.00. DCL does suggest a gratuity for the Concierge host also, but we've never been concierge, so, sorry, I don't know what that is.

To pre-pay just let your TA know, and he/she will contact DCL and have it added to the cruise fare.

There is no suggestion for concierge but there are many threads debating what the tip should be.

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but if you pre-pay with your cruise fare, then it's paid at the time you pay your final cruise balance owed, right? In that case, then you couldn't use on-board-credit for the tips. We typically have on-board credit from our Travel Agent and DCL and don't spend much additional, so we spend our on-board credit for the tips. For that reason, I don't want to pre-pay and have tips included in the cruise fare. Is my thinking right with this?

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but if you pre-pay with your cruise fare, then it's paid at the time you pay your final cruise balance owed, right? In that case, then you couldn't use on-board-credit for the tips. We typically have on-board credit from our Travel Agent and DCL and don't spend much additional, so we spend our on-board credit for the tips. For that reason, I don't want to pre-pay and have tips included in the cruise fare. Is my thinking right with this?

You are correct. If you wish to use OBC to pay the gratuities, you don't pre-pay. Just let DCL add the gratuities to your onboard account once the cruise begins.

However, you could put a credit yourself on your onboard account pre-cruise, if you wish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter