Confused about prepaid tips

The procedure for the tipping process is: at the end of your cruise you will receive in your room with your nightly turndown service tips envelopes and coupons. The coupons will have the name, position, and amount of tip printed on them. You tear the coupon in half (each half has the same info) and place 1/2 in the corresponding envelope (printed with the position name). At this time, if you wish to tip more, you can place additional cash in the envelope. Then hand out the envelopes to the proper person(s). Or you can go to Guest Services toward the end of your cruise and have a larger auto-gratuity added to your onboard account, and they will issued new coupons showing the new amount that you are tipping,.

We are a family of 4, so will we get 4 coupons/envelopes for each of us to hand out or will there just be one coupon/envelope for each position for the whole cabin?

We are a family of 4, so will we get 4 coupons/envelopes for each of us to hand out or will there just be one coupon/envelope for each position for the whole cabin?

You get one coupon for each position with the total amount on it. And one envelope for each position.

I guess a better question (and easier to answer) is-- Is there anyone even remotely connected with the Cruise that you DON'T tip??:):)

The most iritating thing to me is that they say you don't need cash--the ship is a cashless proposition.

But then it appears that you DO need cash.....

I guess a better question (and easier to answer) is-- Is there anyone even remotely connected with the Cruise that you DON'T tip??:):)

The most iritating thing to me is that they say you don't need cash--the ship is a cashless proposition.

You don't (can't) tip any salaried positions (Guest Services, officers, kids club staff, for example) And I've never tipped the photo people. Or the entertainers (characters). Gift shop people.

What about the Engine Room mechanics??

Just kidding (I think)

I just read that Concierge is a "tipped position" now--and I guess that'll have to be cash as well, as they aren't mentioned in the prepaid business.

You can add the tip for the concierge to your onbard account by going to guest services or telling the concierge to tip themselves. :lmao:

You tell them the amount, they charge you account, they hand you a ticket, you can then give it to the concierge. Even if you don't hand them the ticket they will still receive the tip if it has been charged to your onboard account.

Or you can use cash, or a combination.

The email I got yesterday from our DU TA said that tips are charged to the folio on embarkation day.

Tipping is a topic that seems to confuse guests. It is customary to tip certain positions on any cruise ship. Your room steward, your server, your assistant server and the dining room manager are all positions that would normally be tipped. You will receive information prior to cruising showing a recommended amount. While tipping is not mandatory, we are certain that you will feel strongly that these people have done everything they can in order to ensure your enjoyment of your cruise. It is also customary to tip the room service people separately as they are not usually part of the dining room staff.

Disney Cruise Line has instituting a new procedure for gratuities on all their ships. On embarkation day, guests' folios will automatically be charged for the suggested gratuity amounts for Server, Assistant Server, Head Server and Stateroom Host/Hostess.

Guests can still add pre-paid gratuities at the time of booking or when making their final payments. If this isn't done, a letter will be given at check-in explaining the automatic gratuity payments. Modifications to the amount can still be made at the Guest Services Desk

How about the room attendants that make up your room? This happens daily as they set up your beds, right? Are they part of the auto ripping too?

How about the room attendants that make up your room? This happens daily as they set up your beds, right? Are they part of the auto ripping too?

The post right above yours clearly states the DCL policy for what's included in the auto-charge for tips once you board:

"Disney Cruise Line has instituting a new procedure for gratuities on all their ships. On embarkation day, guests' folios will automatically be charged for the suggested gratuity amounts for Server, Assistant Server, Head Server and Stateroom Host/Hostess."

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

Any CM onboard who is allowed to receive a tip can be tipped by charging to your onboard account. I learned a few months ago that this even includes room service! We bring cash only for the shoreside luggage porters, as they are not DCL employees, and the tour guides on port adventures.

Any CM onboard who is allowed to receive a tip can be tipped by charging to your onboard account. I learned a few months ago that this even includes room service! We bring cash only for the shoreside luggage porters, as they are not DCL employees, and the tour guides on port adventures.

How do you go about tipping room service without cash? Would love to know this as I always blow through my small bills tipping room service and would much prefer using my credit card.

Ask for them to bring a slip to sign when you order over the phone.

Ask for them to bring a slip to sign when you order over the phone.

We've never had to ask. If the slip wasn't presented to us (only happened on the Dream, we were asked to sign), it was usually in the server's pocket. But it's been a while since we've charged a tip (a year or so), so things may have changed.

Its been well covered, but I wanted to just share my expereince. We did our first cruise in June. I prepaid tips as we wanted one less expense at the time of the trip. Our second to last day we loved our servers and room host so much we went to guest services and had them add additional money from our account to each of them. It was really easy to do, and they gave us new slips to hand out. We didnt have cash and this worked out just fine.

I tipped Room Service w/o any cash every time. They always had a slip and I always added $2 or so and signed. Every time. Last week on the Dream.

I saw a table on the mousesaver website that indicates a total of $84per person tip for a 7 night cruise. Do they charge the same rate for children?

Yep. Children require the same, if not more, attention from servers and stateroom attendants!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter