Confused about paying OOP for some meals

Julieh22

DIS Veteran
We are not going to TS on two days of our trip because of MNSHP and a day at Universal, so I made reservations at a signature restaurant (3 adults and 1 3 year old). Additionally, I have made extra reservations for a character lunch and breakfast for just my 3 year old and myself (my husband and nephew will be on the golf course). I am not switching child credits for an adults, but I know that I won't have enough credits to cover all of my scheduled meals and will have to pay out of pocket! My question is can I choose which meals to use my son's credits for? Pay OOP for him at Yachtsman Steakhouse and use the two that I saved to pay for his portion at the Crystal Palace and Cape May Cafe when we go?
Thank you for anyhelp!!!! :cool1:

Julieh22 said:
We are not going to TS on two days of our trip because of MNSHP and a day at Universal, so I made reservations at a signature restaurant (3 adults and 1 3 year old). Additionally, I have made extra reservations for a character lunch and breakfast for just my 3 year old and myself (my husband and nephew will be on the golf course). I am not switching child credits for an adults, but I know that I won't have enough credits to cover all of my scheduled meals and will have to pay out of pocket! My question is can I choose which meals to use my son's credits for? Pay OOP for him at Yachtsman Steakhouse and use the two that I saved to pay for his portion at the Crystal Palace and Cape May Cafe when we go?
Thank you for anyhelp!!!! :cool1:

You sure can, just let your server know as soon as they bring you the menu how you intend on paying, who you're using credits for, who you are not, etc. We're doing the same thing, paying OOP for some meals, splitting some up so some use points that night and some don't, etc. to save the points for HDDR.

Julieh22 said:
My question is can I choose which meals to use my son's credits for? Pay OOP for him at Yachtsman Steakhouse and use the two that I saved to pay for his portion at the Crystal Palace and Cape May Cafe when we go?
This is exactly the restaurant where one DIS member was prevented from paying OOP for a child, so I wouldn't count on being able to do this.

bicker said:
This is exactly the restaurant where one DIS member was prevented from paying OOP for a child, so I wouldn't count on being able to do this.

I remember that thread. We are going to be an all or nothing family this trip, because my DH will not like any kind of "conversation" at the table regarding credits and payment issues.

Generally paying OOP for breakfast offers the most cost savings. We are there for 5 nights and have six TS meals planned and will be paying OOP for breakfast on the third day. We too are an "all or nothing" family but we always eat all of our TS meals together.

So, should I call the Yachtsman directly and determine their rules at this time? That is one of our last meals and I should have no child credits left. Will they still let us eat when his is all gone?!? If that's the case then we will eat elsewhere that night that uses less credits, but I know my husband would like to eat here?!?

If your credits are used up, then there is no way they can force you to use them for your child. I would simply state that we have x number of credits left for the adults and we will be paying OOP for our child's meal. End of discussion. ;)

I have a similar issue. When we dine at WCC we will also be out of child credits for the same reason you will be. I would rather pay OOP for my child's 50s PTC meal than for WCC (our last TS). I don't know if we will be able to do this.

I know that the credits are currently being pooled, but if they seperate them (as has been rumored) by our trip at the end of Sept. then they will see how many adult and child credits we have left. Should I save my reciepts to demonstrate that my son's credits have indeed been used appropriately and that what we have left is all adult meals?!?

If the credits are no longer pooled, you won't have any problem whatsoever. They don't have to apply enforcement to curb abuse if the system itself doesn't permit the abuse. What you need to be worried about is if the credits are still pooled; in that situation, you may encounter the same type of enforcement that was experienced by others at Yachtsman Steakhouse (and presumably elsewhere) and be subjected to some arbitrary means to ensure you couldn't possibly be trying to abuse the system.

I called Disney today and spoke with the call center and was informed that I could use my son's TS credits in any way that I wished (pay OOP for the Yachtsman and then use them at 2 different character breakfasts). Although, the gentlemen did not think it was a bad idea to keep my reciepts and ect. to show the server at the Yachtsman that I am not abusing the system (using child credits for adult meals). I am still contemplating contacting the restaurant directly and speaking with a GM because I am unsure how communication is between the call centers and the actual restaurants.

I typically ask for written confirmation of things like this, just in case I encounter a CM who had a different perspective.

I would keep my receipts, and if there is a problem that can not be resolved at dinner, have the front desk at your resort fix it later.

Try not to worry about it too much. In the big picture, if you end up paying Oop for one meal or two buffets... it is really a very small amount of $$ in the big picture. Don't sweat the small stuff :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter