Confused about Carbs......impact vs. nonimpact...

rbuzzotta

<font color=FF00CC>OKW until 2042<br><font color=t
Today is my final day on induction. I have gotten some ATkins bars and such and noticed they have different amounts of Carbs on them. Impact or net carbs.

Can someone explain this to me so I have a better understanding.

Thanks

Technically, you are allowed to deduct from the total carb count the following:

1) Fiber
2) Sugar Alcohols
3) Glycerine

Now, having said that... you should be WARNED... that MANY people have a glycemic reaction to sugar alcohols and glycerine. I am DEFINITELY one of those. Only you will be able to know what affect it has on you - based on your own experience. Bars with glycerine stall me out completely. Knock me out of ketosis. Sugar alcohols affect me ... but I can still lose and eat them so long as I count them for the full carb effect and don't indulge too often. I have come to the conclusiont that except for fiber carbs which I DO net out... if a carb produces calories... (i.e. it is bioavailable) then I include it in my carb count for the day. I do the math (protein grams X 4 plus the fat grams X 9 - subtract this total from the total calories and then divide this number by 4 to get the "true" carb count for a product).

Hope that answers your question.

Laura, it's too bad that glycerine and sugar alcohols knock you out of ketosis. My husband and I are lucky, we can eat them with no problem at all. In fact, I have reason to believe that the carbolite candy bars put me into a deeper ketosis (the day after I eat one the ketostick shows a darker color). I think it might be because the candy bars have so much fat.

Rosemary, the technical explanation about sugar alcohols is that the molecules are too large for your body to assimilate them as carbohydrates and they have no affect on your blood sugar. This is certainly true for my husband. He checks his blood sugar frequently and it never goes up after he eats either a low carb bar or one of the chocolate bars.

The chocolate bars are really tasty but because the sugar alcohols can't be assimilated by your body they go right through your system and if you eat several of them you could end up with diarrhea. It's very much like the effect that fat free WOW chips have on some people (never effected me though).

You will just have to experiment with these products and see if they knock you out of ketosis or not. Some people react that way and others, like me and my husband, have no reaction at all.

I know we are lucky because these products really help with a sweet tooth. I hope you are lucky, too.

<b>HEY!</b> Where is your WISH clipart? We need you in our support group :)

Katholyn

Thanks for the explanation. I have to get some Ketoe strips to see if I am in Ketosis. I believe I am and went out last night and friends were saying I looked good!!! YA!!

I am nervous that we are going to IOA/US in 2 weeks for DD's cheerleading competition. With all the hustle and bustle of getting her to where she wants to be and making sure DH and my other 2 DD's are having fun, I don't think I will be able to do a sit down breakfast. We are staying at HRH and I was thinking of possibly buying some lo carb muffin mix or something to take with me. Any suggestions for breakfast at HRH that is quick and will be lo carb??

I don't know how to get clipart........I am a computer illiterate at times!! But I think I lost 5-6 lbs.!!!

lo carb breakfasts are awesome....bacon, eggs, omlettes with cheese and meat. Stay away from home fires, pancakes, waffles and muffins. Also fruit if you are just starting out. I am always munching on bacon, or a hard boiled egg.

good luck to your DD, and have a great time on your vacation.

My husband eats a low carb bar for breakfast everyday, Rosemary. If you can handle them they are perfect for breakfast.

I just sent Kath this link.. it is www.thinkproducts.com......I have been using their low fat carb bars.... I am usually on the run so I have one at breakfast.....and then go work out at the gym... I like their bars...and especially recommend the peanut butter chunk lite......mmmmmmmmmmm and the caramel one.. I also like the new Atkins frosted cinnamon swirl... Starting my second week tomorrow.. I feel great and I know that it is working...(yes Kath I will the special testing sticks LOL) I also am not having a problem with my reflux, which is an awesome thing..

Hugs to all... keep up the good work!!!:D :D

MaryAnnDVC, thanks for the link.

Marsha, I couldn't access your link. I think it may be helpful as I definetly need food on the run and I don't think I can last 4 mornings with an Atkins bar. This is the time I wish I was staying at a DVC property!!!!

any other suggestions for lo carbing on the run while staying at HRH??

Thanks for all the info, tips and suggestions........

(Marsha, it's getting warmer..........how about a walk around the lake????)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!