Concerned About Safety for Teens at Cocoa Beach

Leigh123

DIS Veteran
We plan on spending just one night there, and I know our teens will want to venture off on their own, I am concerned because I thought I read somewhere on these boards that Cocoa Beach is litered with XXX adult stores, am I wrong?

Thanks

Cocoa Beach isn't the nicest beach in the world. If your teens want to venture off, I'd want to know specifically where exactly are they venturing off to . Not sure about the xxx stores - I didn't venture out much myself on the trip. I might spend a full day at Kennedy Space Center, have a nice dinner, enjoy the beach and maybe go as a family to one other activity (mini golf? I'm not even sure what else they have...or perhaps shopping at Ron Jons?). I wouldn't let my teens wander around any beach - more so than the adult shops, I'd be concerned about the strange "adults".

I saw 1 adult store, but it is way down the block. It has it's usual tattoo parlors, but tell them to watch out for people trying to sell stuff on the beach. We saw this one guy that would not let up.

We had over 100 teens their and some of them spent over 2 hours in Ron/Jons. I thought the beach would be cleaner, what is the matter with people throwing cigarette butts all over.

When we went to shower off and change, you would not believe the stuff in your suit, Yuk! Had to try boogie boarding, LOL!

Leigh,

Have you considered Daytona as opposed to Cocoa Beach? I don't care for Cocoa at all aside from Ron Jon's which is fun to shop in. (By the way, a new Ron Jon has opened in Orlando at
Festival Bay at the North end of International Drive) Daytona
will be more crowded but the beach is much nicer and there are more things to do. I don't know if this would fit into your plans but it takes about the same amount of time to drive from Orlando to Daytona as to Cocoa Beach. Just a thought.

Lisa,

The reason fro Cocoa Beach is to be close to KSC. If it were up to me we would never ever leave property but DH likes KSC and since I get him up earlier on vaca than he does to go to work, I have to give in for one day LOL.

Thanks

First, Cocoa Beach the town is not that big. Most of the things to do are over the Bridge in Merritt Island. Second, my sister lives about a stones throw from the actual beach and I haven't noticed it to be any dirtier than any other beach. I find the beaches in my area (MD, DE, NJ to be equally as undesirable and alot more crowded) Third, I only know of one XXX shop. I don't know the name (being prudish personally) but it is off the highway by itself and no teenager is just going to go wandering in without a ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter