Concerned about our trip

UKDisneyJoe

Mouseketeer
Going to WDW in Decmeber for our third time but first time staying on property. Have booked to stay at CSR but have just seen all the construction and it looks like around a third of the resort is going to be under heavy construction so not sure what to do or if we can do anything. Have paid around a half of the trip off now but dont want our first stay on property to be ruined by all the work being done.
Anyone any thoughts or ideas would be great thanks.

http://blogmickey.com/2017/02/photos-coronado-springs-cabana-demolition/

Just one of the building is being knocked down (plus there's a rolling refurb taking out a further one building at a time)....having stayed there last year in the same area as the demolished building (Cabanas 9B), I will not hesitate to request a room in Cabanas area again (location is perfect!). If you're concerned, a room in Ranchos or Casistas might be a better option for you, but the area under construction is nowhere near a third! :)

We're going to Coronado springs and were worried about this too but I'm sure only under the absolute necessary situation would they put anyone in rooms near the work itself so I'm holding out hope it will all be fine when we go

Stayed at the beach club when work was going on and like you I was concerned ......but Disney being Disney they were so good at hiding it and minimizing disruption

At Wilderness Lodge they have been giving out $ Credit to people affected, as well as special edition Pins, extra fastpasses and other sweeteners.

i dont dis-agree with others about disney being discreet, but if in the build up to the holiday its bothering you, then i would advise changing resort, we changed ours for that reason, we wait 2-3 years for a trip to disney not to be 'worried' about the impact of construction.

we have moved from CBR to POFQ for that reason and knowning there will be none of the above is certainly improving our mood about the holiday, its a shame as we was looking forward to going to CBR, but it is what it is and i think we made the right choice for us.

i dont dis-agree with others about disney being discreet, but if in the build up to the holiday its bothering you, then i would advise changing resort, we changed ours for that reason, we wait 2-3 years for a trip to disney not to be 'worried' about the impact of construction.

we have moved from CBR to POFQ for that reason and knowning there will be none of the above is certainly improving our mood about the holiday, its a shame as we was looking forward to going to CBR, but it is what it is and i think we made the right choice for us.
We did the same, had booked WL and changed to BC for £5pp :D

I would ring them and ask if there is any possibility of changing resorts. If you tell them you have concerns regarding the construction changes at the one you have currently. I'm sure they will do their very best to relocate you to something either in the same category or possibly higher for a small fee. I would choose POFQ it's relaxing and pretty and their food cour serves some pretty delicious food with lots of seating available even their pool bar is well situated. Transport to the parks and DS is just as good as any of the other moderate resorts and it only shares with Riverside. You are usually the first location for pick up and drop off plus they have those awesome boats when the weather is good it makes the journey to DS so relaxing. Remember they also have those romantic carriage rides too, the horses are from the Tri-Circle D ranch over at Fort Wilderness and are well cared for their drivers are well trained and make sure their needs are well taken care of throughout their work day.

Talk to the CMs on the phone as soon as possible about the resort change and don't worry you won't be the only ones making that particular request. They deal with guest requests all the time and do their best to make your vacation the best before you even arrive.
Good luck.

Last edited:
The Coronado Springs construction is not minor. Disney has announced plans to knock down one area of rooms and replace it with a 15-floor tower that is likely to take a couple of years to build. This is going to be heavy construction in the heart of the resort throughout 2017 and 2018.
Edit: To add an after thought: don't seek a switch to CBR, they are closing the food court, table service restaurant, pool bar, gift shop etc to totally rebuild the amenities (probably from May) and are also demolishing part of the resort to build a new resort (likely DVC).

Thanks for all this. My DW did speak to someone yesterday and they fobbed her off a bit saying it wouldnt be too bad. Im still not convinced and have to say the little POFQ sales pitch from wifey has got me thinking :)
Thanks again

Glad you had some positive input;) You want your vacation to be relaxing and the POFQ is just the place. We loved watching the turtles and fish along the waterway and the walk up to Riverside is lovely. We had a garden view room overlooking a beautiful fountain which was gorgeous to see. Not far to walk from any building to the main one and the store there was well stocked too. Anything they didn't have we found up at Riverside.
I hope they can sort out changing resorts for you so you can feel happy again about your stay:-)pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

I get its not bad now but Im sure come Nov/Dec they should be putting in alot more upward structure work which could include cranes which makes for not so pretty pictures of what was, and im sure will be again, a beautiful resort. I think we will see if we can change without occuring any cost and if not we will stick it out at CSR but looking at POFQ now I think.

If it's playing on your mind I would to change resort. You don't want a black cloud of worry hanging over your trip

DW tried calling this morning and the phone message stated a 2 hour wait so she emailed instead :)
Did they get back to you?

I've found them pretty rubbish at replying with anything useful in the past.

On Sunday I spent 2 hours on hold to make an adjustment to my booking. Just stuck the phone on charge and waited!

Nothing as yet shockingly :) will probably wait until middle of next week and then call again. Not holding out much hope of being able to change now as Im sure alot of other people have already made moves.

We now have a response email from Disney UK

"Thank you for your e-mail received.
We are sorry to learn of any concerns that you may have regarding the magical enhancements that will be taking place at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort during your visit with us.
With regards to the compensation being offered to our guests staying at Disney Caribbean Beach Resort, please note that this is due to the effect on the dining amenities available to guests during their stay. We anticipate that all Dining Options and Resort Amenities will be available to CPS guests throughout this time.
Please be assured, while we are working our magic across Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort, we will endeavour to make every effort to ensure your experience will minimally impacted. We will be working through the resort in blocks and our guests will not be situated near any affect areas. You may experience some noise between the hours of 9:00am – 17:00 pm and we may have alternate paths of travel throughout the resort.
We look forward to welcoming you to Walt Disney World Resort in November 2017 and wish you a magical stay."

Firstly in our email we didnt mention anything about Caribbean Beach or any form of compensation but its the first thing they state. Secondly the words "endeavour to make every effort" mean very little in my opinion and twice in the last sentence they use the dreaded word MAY. Of course there is going to be excess noise from building site throughout the day and its already been announced that the path from Cabana's to the centre will be closed shortly and for the majority of the building work. Then they finish with a little patronising wish you a magical stay.
I truly do not want to moan about Disney but there customer service (if you can call it that) leaves alot to be desired and that coming from someone who's wife (who is dealing with the emails) has worked in customer service for 15+ years.

I've worked in complaints myself, and this is clearly a first response, if you pushed, you might get something more.

However..

To be fair to them, when they did the refurbs at Beach Club and the Poly, there was no option than to just stay there still, and I never heard a peep out of any works. Even when at Beach they were working on the floor above us, and at the Poly on the building opposite us.

With CSR being so spread out, I do see what they are saying that you are basically very unlikely to be affected.

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but in reality, they are not bothered if you cancel, a few people who don't like the idea are small fry and Magic Kingdom will still make however many Millions of $ of clear profit every day you would have been there. It's sad, but it's business to them

I know what you are saying Jon and my wife has already sent another reply. I was happy enough to stay there still but now its annoying me more as they are just fobbing us off and couldnt care less about our experience. Despite initially wanting to stay at different resorts in the future this is leaving a bit of a taste and it may be our last on property experience

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter