Computer Advice/ Recommendations

AirGoofy

DIS Dad#341
phone is now faster than my netbook. So, I am looking for a new laptop, netbook, or tablet to buy. Other than Ipad, what do you like? I do have a budget, but welcome all advice.

I have an iPad, HP Touchpad, a few HP laptops, and a custom built pc. I would probably recommend a decent HP laptop that has extremely good reviews and very few cases of overheating(all of mine have done it). I've heard good and bad about Dell laptops, but more good. Got my dad a Toshiba laptop and I don't like it at all but it fits basic needs.

What do you need it for the most?

I have an iPad, HP Touchpad, a few HP laptops, and a custom built pc. I would probably recommend a decent HP laptop that has extremely good reviews and very few cases of overheating(all of mine have done it). I've heard good and bad about Dell laptops, but more good. Got my dad a Toshiba laptop and I don't like it at all but it fits basic needs.

What do you need it for the most?

Now, I just use my netbook for web surfing. But, my desktop is 5+ Years old so it may be time for an upgrade.

Now, I just use my netbook for web surfing. But, my desktop is 5+ Years old so it may be time for an upgrade.

Depending on how much or what you do on the desktop, I would recommend building your own desktop if you're capable. And actually, it's not that hard to build, the instructions are simple and you just really plug things in.

As far as general surfing, a smaller laptop would probably be good since the netbooks just aren't as powerful. I know you have/will, but check out Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, and the other websites for reviews for a decent one. You obviously don't need a hoss for gaming and probably don't want to spend for a Macbook.

Even though this is coming from an old-school, die hard PC fan - I actually recommend the iPad 2. I have been very impressed with mine and have been converted. But, since you said "other than iPad", I would say to look into a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Even though this is coming from an old-school, die hard PC fan - I actually recommend the iPad 2. I have been very impressed with mine and have been converted. But, since you said "other than iPad", I would say to look into a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Thanks. I put this on the IT Kung Fu Panda thread as well and read through it. I like the Galaxy. It was one of the ones I really liked. But, the IPad is tempting and it has great reviews. Decisions Decisions.....

One thing to remember about the tablets is that it isn't easy to directly send anything to your printer. You can also run into issues with documents (like Word, Excel, etc.). Of course, there could be other issues with application compatibility if you go away from Windows. There are some Windows tablets out there, but I haven't heard much good about them.

There's plenty of reasonably inexpensive desktops and laptops out there that will probably easily outperform what you have now. If you don't do a lot of hard core gaming or graphics, a basic model will do just fine. Any of the "name" brands should do just fine.

I've occasionally seen some good deals on the Lenovo outlet site. (Lenovo took over IBM's PC business a few years back). I bought a ThinkPad from them a few years ago and recently picked up a new desktop there. I've been happy with both. I'm sure the other manufacturers have good deals as well and, from a manufacturer, a refurb isn't a bad way to go.

The new MacBook Airs are darn spiffy. I got one for work, and it is light and fast, the 13" is a good screen size, it has the Thunderbolt/LightPeak interface to attach high-speed devices, and gives you a complete OS with command-line access, if you're into that sort of thing.

Just my worthless two cents, but the iPad2 is awesome. We mainly used it for web surfing in the beginning, but we also edit photos and video with it. There are so many fantastic FREE apps that I think it was a good investment.

I think you all have sold me on the Ipad2. All I've heard is good recommendations. Does the Ipad2 have a Ethernet connector on it as well. I have wireless at home but if I took it to WDW, I'd need to connect it. Also, did you all go thru the Apple store or buy it online? Thanks again

I think you all have sold me on the Ipad2. All I've heard is good recommendations. Does the Ipad2 have a Ethernet connector on it as well. I have wireless at home but if I took it to WDW, I'd need to connect it. Also, did you all go thru the Apple store or buy it online? Thanks again

My wife ordered mine through the Apple store online and got free laser engraving on the back.

We have an Apple store here in Indy, so I went and picked it up. We got the 32GB and we are not even close to capacity. Mine does not have an external plug for Internet. I believe they are all wi-fi or 3G.

There are no adapters for hooking up to a wired LAN for the iPad. But you could get a travel Wireless Access Point/Router that would plug into the Ethernet port and then you could connect wirelessly to it.

We have an Apple store here in Indy, so I went and picked it up. We got the 32GB and we are not even close to capacity. Mine does not have an external plug for Internet. I believe they are all wi-fi or 3G.

There are no adapters for hooking up to a wired LAN for the iPad. But you could get a travel Wireless Access Point/Router that would plug into the Ethernet port and then you could connect wirelessly to it.

Thanks guys. WDW could just go wireless and make it easier. There's an Apple Store in Louisville, and I get there a few times a year for work travel. I am going to work on my netbook and see if I can improve it any in the interim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter