Compromise is a Disney word: Taking one for the team over Thanksgiving 2016* August PTR link! 5/28

:wave: Glad you're finally back! How was your daughter's competition?
Good, thanks for asking. I'm going to be lazy and give you a link to a post I put in the DisDads club to tell you all about it.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...of-the-disdads.3358596/page-600#post-57497346

I have another friend here on the boards, @fallonkendra, who is Canadian. Whenever she's mentioned flights or the cost of shipping from stores we have here that you guys don't have up there I'm floored.
Yes, I've been on @fallonkendra TRs a bit too (still trying to catch up with her). The cost of flights is nuts, but it's the unfortunate effect of having a fairly small population in a very big geographic area, so it's much more costly for airlines to operate up here. The exchange rate and customs/duty is what boils me. We had to stop ordering from the Disney Store online because it was just too much. Just an example, last week I ordered two DisDads shirts from the US. The cost was $35 US, add the shipping and exchange rate, it's already $60 Canadian. I'm hoping they don't charge me duty when it ship because that could add another 20-30%. Just crazy.

But how cool for your DD to be in an Epcot parade!! Are there lots of dance groups marching and is it only dance groups do you know? I think it's so rare that Epcot has parades, so especially neat it's that park.
There will be other dance schools from Canada and the US, but they only know their school. It's run by Dance the World, which is not a Disney company but I guess they are closely affiliated. I don't know how many dancers in total, but I expect it will be 150 or 200 for the parade. It goes from Mexico to the UK. I was surprised when they first brought up the trip because I had never heard of a parade in Epcot. It will be on July 7th at 7:00pm, so if anyone's there...

My older DD did something similar a few years ago in New York and they danced on The Lion King stage on Broadway and got to see Aladdin and meet the cast after. It was pretty exciting.

What??? In May??? We've had snow early April but not May!!!!
I heard about snow somewhere...Minnesota, maybe? Wisconsin? No thanks. However, the high here today is 55!! In May? That's unheard of. I suppose it's a good thing I haven't had time to put my boys pants away.

:laughing: I know, it's a bit different for us. Bottom line it has to do with cost and availability, but I'll go into more detail in my PTR. And, who's to say it'll still be POP by the time said PTR gets started?? ;)
:thumbsup2

Some seem to find it so easy to schedule time/meals in DS; I don't for whatever reason. Especially when the kids are with us. And Steve isn't a big DS fan so he always makes a face when I tell him we're going there :snooty: That was one reason I pushed for Boathouse, and I gave him no choice when I booked Homecomin' for later this month. But then when he looked at the menu and saw the Moonshine Flight he got a little more excited lol.
Well, Chad has now opined that he prefers a resort day for future trips, so I guess I'll have to make that be a DS evening with dinner. Of course, he doesn't really realize that I don't plan to give up any park time, so 8 nights will now have to become 9...oh, might as well go to 10, right??? LOL

Oh yeah :( Which is exactly what happened on our supposed-to-be-no-Disney trip in August 2015! We were off-site, just doing Universal. We went to Downtown Disney one night (I can call it that because it wasn't DS yet) and all of a sudden Steve says to the kids, "so, if we go to one Disney park, which one do you want it to be?" And that's how we ended up buying them one day tickets to the MK; couldn't be in Orlando without a little Disney :smickey:
This is totally understandable!

Good, thanks for asking. I'm going to be lazy and give you a link to a post I put in the DisDads club to tell you all about it.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...of-the-disdads.3358596/page-600#post-57497346
I read the post, very nice pictures and a belated congrats to your DD! Thank you for the link, as I'm sure you're aware I don't spend much time on that forum lol

It goes from Mexico to the UK. I was surprised when they first brought up the trip because I had never heard of a parade in Epcot. It will be on July 7th at 7:00pm, so if anyone's there...
This just really sounds so cool, wish I was going to be there! Speaking of parades in Epcot, did you ever see the Tapestry of Nations parade that used to run there? I don't know the years off the top of my head, would have to look up the dates which I didn't do before responding. It was a wonderful parade!

My older DD did something similar a few years ago in New York and they danced on The Lion King stage on Broadway and got to see Aladdin and meet the cast after. It was pretty exciting.
Maybe I need to get my boys involved in dance lol!! I'd rather do that than meet NBA players!

Well, Chad has now opined that he prefers a resort day for future trips, so I guess I'll have to make that be a DS evening with dinner. Of course, he doesn't really realize that I don't plan to give up any park time, so 8 nights will now have to become 9...oh, might as well go to 10, right??? LOL
Sometimes it's nice what they don't know, and what their innocent comments actually lead to ;)

Catching up! Sooooo far behind on everything but I'm here :goodvibes

Sun. 5/21: Try to RD MK to check out the new opening procedure/show and do some favorite rides; Epcot for lots more food & drink by 12 the latest; Homecomin' dinner 6:10, either Jellyrolls or hightail it back to MK for Happily Ever After.
I didn't realize that you hadn't done the new Rope Drop yet. I have mixed feelings about it. I absolutely miss the old Welcome Show 100% and the new doesn't even compare to me. But........I love how you can leisurely stroll up Main Street without rushing. I actually got a little shopping done in a pretty empty Emporium.

At first you think this is like Tower of Terror; I suppose it's the same idea and obviously this one is higher and outside, but my preference is TOT - it also happens to be my favorite ride in all of WDW. The theming adds so much to it and I think is lacking on Dr. Doom; also on Dr. Doom the biggest "thrill" is on the way up; then you just come down.
Ummm this would be a No from me :rotfl:

Next we opted for the safe and familiar to all of us E.T.
I remember this was one of my favorite rides from Universal. Pretty sure since the last time I went they've changed just about everything.

And since I obviously quit quoting this post....
I've never had any desire to read/watch Harry Potter but I think I would like seeing the stuff Universal has to offer. I hear the theming is great!

Glad you were able to finally get everything straightened out so you wouldn't have to wait until Sunday!

Speaking of parades in Epcot, did you ever see the Tapestry of Nations parade that used to run there? I don't know the years off the top of my head, would have to look up the dates which I didn't do before responding. It was a wonderful parade!
Did I see it? It's only my favourite thing ever! I still sometimes go on YouTube and listen to the soundtrack. It was brought in for the millennium. I think it ran from 1999 to 2001, and then they turned it into Tapestry of Dreams for a year or two. Apparently they had to stop it because of performer injures from the huge puppets. At one point in time I had a video (on VHS) of the whole thing. Sadly, that trip was with an ex and that tape went into the trash with many other things. Oh well, we all have those skeletons....

Universal Training Day 5, Part 2
Even Dessert Can't Keep Me Awake!

Good morning all! Well, it's most likely not morning anymore as you're reading this as I doubt I finished this update when I started it. I have a pretty busy Saturday ahead, unfortunately first I need to do some housecleaning - you can only put it off so long lol! - then chauffeuring Ricky around, taking Chris and a friend to see the new Guardians of the Galaxy movie, and some shopping. I actually haven't seen the first Guardians movie :o I meant to watch it before today but time got away from me. We'll see if I can still follow and if not, I'll just focus on my popcorn and skittles........
And before I move on to my"after DS" post, here's a picture I forgot to include in the last update! While walking around, I snapped a shot of the food truck menus:

They weren't open yet; and it's been so long now that I don't remember what time we walked by or what time they opened, but it had to be after 2 when we walked by. My guess is they start serving around......5 or 6 maybe? That makes sense since it was already mid afternoon and they were still closed.

And NOW we can get to the rest of our day! After relaxing at DS we returned to the resort and went to our rooms to chill a bit, call home, and do a little packing. Even though we had such a great afternoon in DS I was happy it was getting close to my return home; I missed my boys! And if I'm being really honest I was plain exhausted. Brutally exhausted. Like, to the point that I had laid down on my bed to talk to Steve and the boys and when we got off the phone, I did NOT want to get up. I knew Cathy felt the same because, well, she told me later lol, but we were texting back and forth about being ready to meet up and we both kept making the time a few minutes later.
But we had one more evening ahead of us! Since we didn't have park tickets (and the Universal parks closed at 7 and it was close to that time) our choices were staying at the resort or going to CityWalk. We chose CityWalk, and our dinner destination was here:

This design/theming on the outside of this building is so unique and looks cool enough during the day, but lit up at night it looked even more impressive.
Now this may have changed by now although I don't think so, but back in Feb. Toothsome wasn't taking reservations. So we went in to give our name at 7 and were told an hour wait :faint: We weren't starving but as I said we were tired, however CityWalk was jumpin' so we figured most other good restaurants would have similar waits. Hard Rock was close and we could see that was packed, so we gave our name and chose to wait while doing some shopping. I bought my younger stepson Eric a shirt at Hard Rock and while in there I saw this on the wall:

We don't talk music much here on the Dis but Motley Crue is one of my absolute favorite bands!! Along with Aerosmith and Metallica, FYI. I saw Motley Crue about 4x in college and I've seen them another 5x since; last time was almost 3 years ago but sadly I missed their farewell tour. My favorite is bassist Mick Mars but I do love me some Nikki as does my sister, so this was awesome to see up on the wall.
However what I really wish I had gotten pictures of were the people waiting to get in to the theater next door. They were having some kind of......superhero convention??? Possibly a Comic-Con type thing. People were on line outside in full-on costumes: Hulk, Wonder Woman, every other Marvel and non-Marvel superhero you can think of, tons of SW characters. Characters I've never seen and think maybe they made up themselves :rolleyes1 Some of them looked really good while others were looking quite questionable. While this is something I would never do I certainly don't begrudge those who enjoy it, since I guess it's not that far off from wearing my Disney shirts all the time, or many of us wearing Mickey Ears, or..................DisneyBounding :D

Around 7:45 we both started seriously running out of steam so we went back to Toothsome to see if our table was possibly ready a bit early and our answer was a hard NO. In fact, our answer was along the lines of this: "Well, I see here that you put in your table request at 6:58 and were given a 60 minute return time. It is now 7:47 so you still have about 11 minutes left." Um......K we'll.....stand over here?? But don't you know Cathy got the table ready text at 7:58 on the dot!!! So take that as a lesson if you try eating there and are told there's a wait: you may not have much luck with your table being ready any earlier than the time you're given. Apparently :confused3
Once again on this trip I completely failed at picture taking, which I blame on hardly being able to keep my eyes open this time. The inside of this restaurant is as interesting and neat as the outside and despite what I write next, I do highly suggest eating at least dessert here sometime if you visit CityWalk just for the experience, and of course to take some goodies to go. Cathy wasn't feeling any alcohol this night but I did get a plain old Blue Moon. We also didn't want any apps: we planned to get dessert and also kind of just wanted to eat and get back to our room at this point. Cathy ordered a broccoli and cheddar quiche for her dinner; here's a google pic of what a Toothsome broccoli and cheddar quiche looks like:

Unfortunately what Cathy got was a quick Lorraine, which she wasn't really upset about because she was too tired to care. She said the quiche was ok but nothing special but she did like the salad and fruit that came with it. Also FYI, this is technically on their breakfast menu which is served all day.
I ordered the Four Cheese Flatbread: Fontina, Mozzarella, Parmesan and Ricotta with Basil, Garlic, and Olive Oil, and it came like this:

Kind of cute served on the board like this, except I didn't get a plate. Or any utensils just in case. I asked for a plate twice and then gave up! Also this tasted exactly how it looks: like toasted pita bread with mozzarella melted over ricotta, and some basil added on top. I do not cook except sauce but I totally could have made this myself and my boys would have thought it was the greatest thing! Needless to say we were both a bit disappointed with our meals. But we were really also too tired to care much. To give a bit of a fair shot to Toothsome, they're probably much, much better at all their desserts; I'd read a few reviews here on the Dis from folks who'd eaten meals there and they all pretty much felt the food was "eh" with a couple standouts, so I shouldn't have been expecting to be wowed. I think if I do go back there for more than buying hundreds of dollars worth of macarons and other assorted bakery goodies, I'd stick to maybe an app and definitely try a dessert. And try another bakery goody on our way out we did! We took them boxed up to enjoy in all our single glory back in our rooms. I got a red velvet cupcake and Cathy got this other thing that Pam had tried and loved earlier in the week, the dessert in the coffee cup:

Thanks again, google! You can see my red velvet number in the lower left corner; this is the best pic I could find that shows both our snacks.

Deliciousness in hand we caught the bus back to Cabana Bay and went our separate ways. Not gonna lie, I was super looking forward to sleeping in a hotel room by myself :dancer: I honestly can't remember when I did that; actually I don't think I ever did. I even saved my cupcake until after I called home so I could sit back and relax, TV and pj's on. It was 1000x better than my dinner, BTW.

And, since this thing has gone on and on and on with no visible ending in sight, I'm going to jump right in to departure day (2/10) for you guys. Cathy's plane was leaving at 12:30 and mine around 2, so we met for breakfast a little before her shuttle van was scheduled to leave for MCO. We always met up at the bottom of the stairs close to my ground floor room and close to where she would come down from her 3rd floor room and we had to walk by one of the main pools to get to the main bldg., and finally on my 5th day I took a picture of said pool area:

Another thing that impressed me about the Universal resorts were their pools. We did see all the main pools at all the resorts minus HRH, however I do remember walking out to that pool with the family when we visited there briefly in 2015. All the pools look awesome; I can't say better than all of Disney's pools but they certainly looked better than the value pools and even a couple of the moderate pools. If not better than certainly on par.

So we grabbed breakfast again at the resort quick service and like the first day, it was good. Not outstanding but a good, quick service breakfast that did it's job. And with that it was time for Cathy to leave :( It was weird, we'd only met 5 days ago but after spending so much time together it felt strange to have her leaving!! We said our good-bye's and I went back to the room until it was my time to board the ol' shuttle back.
And once there I hung with Cathy for a couple more hours because both our planes ended up being delayed!! At one point we were both wondering if we'd get home that night but we did :)

I'll do one more post with my overall thoughts on the training before this becomes the TR that never ends. As always I thank you guys for coming along this far with me!!

Catching up! Sooooo far behind on everything but I'm here :goodvibes
:wave: Glad to have you back! Of course, you're allowed to fall behind when you're in DISNEY :mickeyjum

I didn't realize that you hadn't done the new Rope Drop yet. I have mixed feelings about it. I absolutely miss the old Welcome Show 100% and the new doesn't even compare to me. But........I love how you can leisurely stroll up Main Street without rushing. I actually got a little shopping done in a pretty empty Emporium.
I thought about doing it in March but we just didn't get to it, mainly because I do know I'm not going to love it, mainly because of how much I adored the old show :( But the idea of being on Main St. early and not feeling rushed so I can do some nice shopping does sound appealing!! So I'm definitely going to try doing it this month.

Ummm this would be a No from me :rotfl:
BUT, BUT.......you finally did TOT like a big girl this past trip!!! You could do Dr. Doom, I know you could! That's my next project lol, getting you on that!

I remember this was one of my favorite rides from Universal. Pretty sure since the last time I went they've changed just about everything.
Well I can tell you with 100% certainty that E.T. is exactly the same :thumbsup2 Steve and I were there in 2000 and not again until 2015 and it was like being in a completely different place so yup, you probably won't recognize it. But maybe you should plan yourself a trip there in the near future ;)

I've never had any desire to read/watch Harry Potter but I think I would like seeing the stuff Universal has to offer. I hear the theming is great!
Like I said above :) I did read the HP books about 5/6 years ago because everyone was talking about them and I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I enjoyed them lots but I'm not a crazy fan; like when I'm there I don't remember all the details so lots is still lost on me but I still appreciate the details as I'm sure you would, too. It's amazing! But I love Disney more :love:

I still sometimes go on YouTube and listen to the soundtrack.
I should do that!

It was brought in for the millennium. I think it ran from 1999 to 2001,
That makes sense; then Steve and I saw it on our trip in 2000.

then they turned it into Tapestry of Dreams for a year or two
And that explains why I never saw Tapestry of Dreams, because after 2000 I didn't return until 2006.

Apparently they had to stop it because of performer injures from the huge puppets.
Interesting! And sad, because I'm sure Tapestry of Dreams was as awesome as Tapestry of Nations. I wish they'd do another parade there. Thank you for all the info and details; saved me the time of looking it all up and I'm glad to know it now :goodvibes

At one point in time I had a video (on VHS) of the whole thing. Sadly, that trip was with an ex and that tape went into the trash with many other things. Oh well, we all have those skeletons....
Oh yeah, been there..................

BUT, BUT.......you finally did TOT like a big girl this past trip!!! You could do Dr. Doom, I know you could! That's my next project lol, getting you on that!
Haaaaaaaa :lmao:
Also I doubt I get out of my Disney bubble anytime soon. My family has zero interest in Universal. party:

Eesh it does seem like the trip that was never ending with the delays!
I have looked at a menu for Toothsome when it first came. It did spark some universal interest for me :goodvibes but not enough.

Last edited:
Good Morning! From someone actually reading this in the morning.

I'd never seen those disney food truck menus before. Think its a bit ironic that 2 of the items on the "world showcase" truck are from countries that are not even in the world showcase, Chile and Cuba. Maybe its a sign of things to come :-)

Your meal at Toothsome certainly left a lot to be desired and most definitely doesn't look like something you should have had to wait an hour for. But glad you got an evening to yourself and rest and made it home safely!

How disappointing that your Toothless dinner wasn't anything special...but man, those desserts! I'm sure they make up for it in the dessert department.

Glad you finally made it home to your boys ok, and hopefully you got a little R'n'R (and not the Rock 'n' Rollercoaster variety...) after such an exhausting trip!

That CityWalk experience seemed to leave a lot to be desired. I may glad it wasn't the final thing before your trip was over. Glad you had the relaxing night just before heading to sleepy town and then good company for your departure day.

Looking forward to hearing about the next trip in a couple weeks and then the PTR!

Imagine my surprise when I saw my 5th grade math teacher, Ms. Schleuter, who terrorized me and instilled in me my fear of numbers sitting at a desk inside!

Okay, I totally thought you for-real ran into your teacher! :rotfl2: Until I scrolled down! I hope my students don't say this about me! LOL

WHEN: Aug. 23-31st

:yay: I leave on August 23 too! Which airport are you flying out of!?

Now, what I was dying to do was get over to a Disney park - probably either MK or Epcot. However Cathy didn't have an AP like I do and so I didn't push that hard.

It must have killed you to be so close and not go to a Disney park! :sad2: We once visited my friend in LA and it was eating me alive that I was soooooo close to Disneyland and no one else wanted to go. Ugh!

I have looked at a menu for Toothsome when it first came. It did spark some universal interest for me :goodvibes but not enough.
If it wasn't for Ricky I don't know that I'd be back anytime in the future, it's just not my thing and I dislike anything that takes away from my Disney time! There is one other restaurant there that I like to try though and I seriously want the guys to see Blue Man Group because that was the most amazing thing about Uni IMO

I'd never seen those disney food truck menus before. Think its a bit ironic that 2 of the items on the "world showcase" truck are from countries that are not even in the world showcase, Chile and Cuba. Maybe its a sign of things to come :-)
Wouldn't that be nice?? I look forward to the day they add more countries to WS. A girl can dream....:cloud9:

How disappointing that your Toothless dinner wasn't anything special...but man, those desserts! I'm sure they make up for it in the dessert department.
I feel like they definitely do. I also kind of wish I'd ordered smarter but it sounded good on paper lol and I was just.so.tired............

So excited for you to have ANOTHER trip planned! I can't wait to hear all the details...:donald:
I need to get another ticker added! Adding tickers makes a day wonderful!!!

Looking forward to hearing about the next trip in a couple weeks and then the PTR!
Less than 2 weeks :thumbsup2 Plus I'm itching to start that PTR lol.
Nice "chatting" with you today :goodvibes

Okay, I totally thought you for-real ran into your teacher! :rotfl2: Until I scrolled down! I hope my students don't say this about me! LOL
:laughing: That goblin is better looking than my 5th/6th grade math teacher!! I am willing to bet lots of $$ your students say nothing about you like my elementary school friends and I still say about her; she was pure evil. I start to sweat now when one of the boys even mentions the word math :scared:

:yay: I leave on August 23 too! Which airport are you flying out of!?
I forgot you leave then, that means hopefully we'll get to meet! In Florida, even though we only like a couple hours away lol. We haven't booked our flights yet because Steve is a procrastinator :rolleyes1 but I believe looking at prices we'll be going out of Hartford in Aug. You're flying out of Newark, right?

It must have killed you to be so close and not go to a Disney park! :sad2: We once visited my friend in LA and it was eating me alive that I was soooooo close to Disneyland and no one else wanted to go. Ugh!
Not lying, it hurt :( Now if I made it all the way to Ca. again after all these years I'd be hitting DL if I had to hitchhike there myself and leave everyone else behind!

Wouldn't that be nice?? I look forward to the day they add more countries to WS. A girl can dream....:cloud9:
So, according to the Rumor Tracking thread, it's Brazil. And a guy I went to high school with works fir Disney...the events team I think, AND they were just in Brazil and I mentioned I heard Brazil might be coming to WS and I got a like by him. So take it with a grain of salt...but there is all that.

Less than 2 weeks :thumbsup2 Plus I'm itching to start that PTR lol.
Wahoo!

Nice "chatting" with you today :goodvibes
Absolutely! I hope that works out for you!

So, according to the Rumor Tracking thread, it's Brazil. And a guy I went to high school with works fir Disney...the events team I think, AND they were just in Brazil and I mentioned I heard Brazil might be coming to WS and I got a like by him. So take it with a grain of salt...but there is all that.
I did read that thread awhile ago and saw that but haven't checked it in a long time, but all that info sounds very promising!!!

I forgot you leave then, that means hopefully we'll get to meet! In Florida, even though we only like a couple hours away lol. We haven't booked our flights yet because Steve is a procrastinator :rolleyes1 but I believe looking at prices we'll be going out of Hartford in Aug. You're flying out of Newark, right?

Yup, out of Newark. I can't wait till you reveal more of your plans!

Not lying, it hurt :( Now if I made it all the way to Ca. again after all these years I'd be hitting DL if I had to hitchhike there myself and leave everyone else behind!

Oh, definitely! You must!

I have been reading but not replying, as I've been having some issues with the Dis. I know it has been said, but omg, I am in awe of your willpower with having an AP, being on Disney property, and not going into a park. I was reading the report silently willing you to just say "bye, Felicia!" and hop a bus. I'm not as nice as you, apparently. ;)

Now that Toothsome dessert case might be almost enough to lure me over to Universal property...almost.

Congrats on having your August trip planned! Looking forward to hearing about that one and REALLY wanting to see AKL.

Sounds like you had a busy training day! Just seeing the few pictures of Portofino makes me miss it so much! It's been 17 years since I have been there.

Ah...and the trip comes to an end. Sounds pretty nice overall though. Toothsome still remains on my list in the future but probably not this trip as we'll most likely stick to the Disney bubble also.

However we do have this trip to Florida planned for August. Currently it's just 4 or 5 nights at Vero Beach but I want to bookend it with something else. I'm considering a day or two in Disney. We are also considering the Keys for a few nights. It's still very up in the air and a lot depends on my doctor appointments next month and what treatments will be planned for me after surgery. Still if there's a way to squeeze in a day or two at Disney again in August...I'll do it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter