Complicated Reservation Question

megthedisneyvillain

Earning My Ears
This is long and complicated so I apologize in advance, but I need some advice from some experienced Disney-goers!

I am planning to go to Disney World in December 2021 with myself and three other people. A fifth person MIGHT be joining, which would mean the reservation would need to be for two rooms (three in one, two in the other) instead of one room for four people. I know the rooms will sell out fast and our options will dwindle the closer it gets to December 2021, so I can't wait on the fifth person to make a decision for too long, because I don't want to miss our opportunity to make the reservation (when Disney opens reservations again). So the question is... given that that fifth person is a wild card, how should I book the trip without knowing exactly who is coming?

For example, I spoke with a cast member via chat last night who said it would likely be best to book two rooms and then modify the reservation (up to 30 days before check in) to cancel one, rather than gambling and trying to add another room later if the person decides they do want to come. That does make sense, except that there's no way on Disney's website to book two rooms at once. How would we do that, if we want to make sure all five of us get the same flight? Because I don't mind canceling a room/modifying the reservation later, but I wouldn't want one person (or two) to be on one flight and the other three to be on a separate flight. So would it be best to book the flight separately, directly through the airline, and not through the Disney reservation system? So that the flight wouldn't be messed up at all by modifying the Disney reservation to reflect four people instead of five? Also, if you book the flight directly with Delta, for example, can you still set up ground transportation, or can you only do ground transportation if your flight is purchased as part of the package?

And what if you booked two park tickets with the one reservation, and three with the other, but wanted to change the reservation to drop one person and the second room? Could they adjust the price to include the fourth person's park tickets?

And would it be possible to connect two room reservations made under two separate names? Like, my brother's account purchasing the room for three people, and myself purchasing the room for two? And then link them together so that dining reservations would reflect the five people, rather than having to be booked separately? (Because the dining reservations are automatically for the whole party, right? Or do you choose how many when you make the res?)

TLDR: Not knowing if the fifth person is going for sure makes it all so up in the air that it complicates everything, but in short, I don't want to wait too long to book and lose room options, so I'd rather plan for the fifth person to be there and edit them out if needed. I'm just not sure how best to go about doing that to create the least amount of bumps if the reservation needs to be modified. PLEASE ADVISE! Thank you all so much!

How would we do that, if we want to make sure all five of us get the same flight?
I would never recommend booking flights through Disney. You can likely find cheaper/better flights on your own, and retain control over your flight bookings as well. Book your own flights and it will be a non-issue if the 5th person is a no go.

And what if you booked two park tickets with the one reservation, and three with the other, but wanted to change the reservation to drop one person and the second room? Could they adjust the price to include the fourth person's park tickets?
Yes, if you book a package that includes tickets, you can make any changes/additions/subtractions up to 30 days prior check-in. Are you certain your 5th person will have an answer by then? If not, you can book room only which will give you until 5 days prior to your arrival to cancel a room. You could then purchase tickets separately.

And would it be possible to connect two room reservations made under two separate names?
Yes, however connecting rooms are never guaranteed. You would need to request a connecting room be noted on both reservations, and I would suggest cross-referencing the reservation numbers on each other's. You can also link your travel parties together in MDE.

So, just to clarify, if my brother and I each purchase a room reservation, we can still link them together in My Disney Experience? So only one of us would need to purchase Memory Maker, since they're going to the same account, right? Connecting rooms isn't necessarily a must. I just want the reservations linked.

So I can cancel my room/park tickets, and add myself to his room/reservation if necessary, as long as I give enough time? I should know in a few months, and we're not going until December 2021 so time shouldn't be an issue in that sense. We just want to book as soon as they re-open the booking ability.

Or you could book a room that sleeps five....
Always an option, but if its 5 adults like I'm assuming, that would be very tight IMO.

if my brother and I each purchase a room reservation, we can still link them together in My Disney Experience?
Yes. I did this with two other families so I could control everyone's ADRs and FPs.

So only one of us would need to purchase Memory Maker, since they're going to the same account, right?
Never done Memory Maker so I can't confirm, but my SIL purchased MM one trip and I was able to view all her photos. The photos still went to her account but I could see them since they were linked.

So I can cancel my room/park tickets, and add myself to his room/reservation if necessary, as long as I give enough time?
Yes, you can do anything you want as long as its 30 days prior to your travel dates if you book a package.

Also keep in mind that for any adults over the age of 18 after the first two, you are subject to extra persons charges for each additional adult. So if Room 1 has 3 adults, you will receive extra person charges for one adult. But if you cancel Room 2 and add a fourth person to Room 1, you will incur two extra persons charges on Room 1. Still cheaper than having two rooms though.

Okay, that all makes a lot of sense! Thank you so very much for all your help!

One last thing,

You said to book the flight separately. Can we still use the Disney transportation bus/ground transportation from the airport to the hotel room and have them pick up our bags? How would we let them know what the flight was if we did not do the flight with our reservation through them?

Okay, that all makes a lot of sense! Thank you so very much for all your help!

One last thing,

You said to book the flight separately. Can we still use the Disney transportation bus/ground transportation from the airport to the hotel room and have them pick up our bags? How would we let them know what the flight was if we did not do the flight with our reservation through them?

You book DME separately. Someone will come around with a phone number and all.

Also, you might still want to book 2 rooms, even with only four people going (or a suite) so that you can each have a separate bed.

Can we still use the Disney transportation bus/ground transportation from the airport to the hotel room and have them pick up our bags?
Yes. All Disney resort guests are entitled to roundtrip transportation to and from the airport. Magical Express will mail you yellow luggage tags approx. 30 days before you travel. You will put those tags onto your checked luggage, which will allow your luggage to be collected by Magical Express at the airport and delivered to your room. The only caveat is if you are arriving after 10pm, you will have to collect your own luggage.

How would we let them know what the flight was if we did not do the flight with our reservation through them?
If you google or search the forum, you'll find the phone number or web site for Magical Express. All you'll have to do is provide them your flight information after you book it. They will scan your Magic Band when you arrive at the airport to confirm, and on the day before your check-out day, they will leave a paper on your door with your Magical Express departure time.

And would it be possible to connect two room reservations made under two separate names? Like, my brother's account purchasing the room for three people, and myself purchasing the room for two? And then link them together so that dining reservations would reflect the five people, rather than having to be booked separately? (Because the dining reservations are automatically for the whole party, right? Or do you choose how many when you make the res?)

TLDR: Not knowing if the fifth person is going for sure makes it all so up in the air that it complicates everything, but in short, I don't want to wait too long to book and lose room options, so I'd rather plan for the fifth person to be there and edit them out if needed. I'm just not sure how best to go about doing that to create the least amount of bumps if the reservation needs to be modified. PLEASE ADVISE! Thank you all so much!
When you make dining reservations, you don't need to name who else is dining with you. You can book a reservation for four or five depending on who is going. It's just like booking a reservation at your local restaurant. You can cancel any dining reservation the day before for no penalty. If you cancel the day of you will be charged $10/pp.

When each person arrives he/she can go to the front desk to ensure that their charges to their magic bands go to their own credit card. It doesn't matter who booked the room or whose name the reservation is associated with, however, this needs to be done in person before any charges are made to the magic band.

should know in a few months, and we're not going until December 2021 so time shouldn't be an issue in that sense. We just want to book as soon as they re-open the booking ability.
Just to point out... until 2021 rates are released, you can book a "room-only" reservation for 2021 (no packages) and only for 499 days out. Assuming the booking system becomes available again soon, booking out 499 days is only into Oct. 2021. Since you want Dec. 2021 with a package, and your 5th person will be able to confirm in a few months, you might as well wait a bit.

Just to point out... until 2021 rates are released, you can book a "room-only" reservation for 2021 (no packages) and only for 499 days out. Assuming the booking system becomes available again soon, booking out 499 days is only into Oct. 2021. Since you want Dec. 2021 with a package, and your 5th person will be able to confirm in a few months, you might as well wait a bit.
I was able to book a 'modified package' for Oct 2021 and paid $200.

Not sure which category hotels you are thinking of but another option would be the family suites. Arts of Animation and All Star Music have them, Music being the least expensive and just newly renovated. They sleep 6 with no additional cost for extra adults like regular rooms. You get two bathrooms and a little kitchen for light meal prep. There is a closed bedroom and a living room with wall beds which becomes a bedroom at night. At Music it costs a bit more than 2 regular rooms but you would all be together (if that is a bonus for your group) and no need to stress if you will get connecting rooms or not and linking rooms on MDE.

I was able to book a 'modified package' for Oct 2021 and paid $200.
Were you booking something completely new? Or pushing out plans from the closure? I think they have allowed packages from the closure period to be pushed into 2021 as packages. But new bookings can typically only book a room-only this far out.

Were you booking something completely new? Or pushing out plans from the closure? I think they have allowed packages from the closure period to be pushed into 2021 as packages. But new bookings can typically only book a room-only this far out.
It was new. CM offered it to me.

Package(s): Disney Resort Hotel Package Basic Plan

Last edited:
It was new. CM offered it to me.

Package(s): Disney Resort Hotel Package Basic Plan
So you didn't book tickets and dining, then. Just a "basic package" which is essentially a room-only with the package PIF/cancellation policy. It sounded like OP wanted to book a full package -- room, tickets, dining and flights. That's what I was answering. Only the room can be booked, and only 499 days in advance.

So you didn't book tickets and dining, then. Just a "basic package" which is essentially a room-only with the package PIF/cancellation policy. It sounded like OP wanted to book a full package -- room, tickets, dining and flights. That's what I was answering. Only the room can be booked, and only 499 days in advance.
The good thing about booking the basic package is that you get the $200 deposit rather than a one night room charge, and you can modify your package when the time comes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter