Completely Disappointing Experience at Portofino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Credits to credit cards can take up to two billing cycles. Happens often with WDW hotel reservation cancellations.

The OP did complete the steps needed to speak to somebody with the authority to resolve her issues. Certainly not an ideal scenario always a good thing to handle while still at the property, even though it can take substantial time & effort while you are supposed to be ‘on’ vacation.

We’ve enjoyed the onsite properties for decades. As I stated earlier, have had a few (to me) major issues crop up both with Loews as well as other chains in Orlando & otherwise. All part of being frequent travelers...my thought the more you do travel, it increases the likelihood things will go south. Will say though, Loews has always owned it & come through for us.

Admit that we’d then usually start to book one of the other properties to shake things up until we got over ‘our mad’. Certainly, not about to let a rare incident keep me away from staying onsite at Universal.

Everyone’s tolerance level is different & so their personal experience. OP sharing her’s will likely be helpful to many who may find themselves in the same situation.

Yes she did what needed to be done at the property but nothing was being done for her. Inexcusible. Something I can relate to is every single time we have ever gone, tho it's been awhile, (never been to PB always did HR and RPR), they NEVER let us check in before 4 no matter what time we got there. Never, not one single time. Always had to wait many hours. Unlike Disney or other hotels we have stayed in where they tried at least and mostly did accommodate us much quicker. Never experienced that kind of wait anywhere. If I paid $400 a night at PB and went through what this OP did, I would not call it a tolerance level, no one should experience that at PB, and if it were even a Starwood property, another place we have used in that area many times, they would have done more. Not a good look and shouldn't be excused.

Last edited:
Yes she did what needed to be done at the property but nothing was being done for her. Inexcusible. Something I can relate to is every single time we have ever gone, tho it's been awhile, (never been to PB always did HR and RPR), they NEVER let us check in before 4 no matter what time we got there. Never, not one single time. Always had to wait many hours. Unlike Disney or other hotels we have stayed in where they tried at least and mostly did accommodate us much quicker. Never experienced that kind of wait anywhere. If I paid $400 a night at PB and went through what this OP did, I would not call it a tolerance level, no one should experience that at PB, and if it were even a Starwood property, another place we have used in that area many times, they would have done more. Not a good look and shouldn't be excused.

We've had the opposite experience with getting into rooms early at Universal vs Disney. We've gotten into our rooms early at Universal many, many times but have only gotten early check-in at Disney a few times. I generally request early admission at Universal.

Thank you for your support and I agree with you 100%. The issues we had at this hotel were inexcusable and if you look at the Tripadvisor reviews from the last month, it tells that I am not alone. There are some major issues going on at that hotel. For me, it was not what happened, but more how the staff and management handled it. To call and speak to a supervisor WHILE at the hotel only to be told by that supervisor to fill out a survey AFTER we check-out? WHAT? So I was trying to take care of things while I was there and was getting nowhere and no, I am not going to spend my entire vacation trying to get resolution.

All of that said, we loved Universal and will be going back this year, even bought annual passes. We just will not be staying at this hotel agin.

We've had the opposite experience with getting into rooms early at Universal vs Disney. We've gotten into our rooms early at Universal many, many times but have only gotten early check-in at Disney a few times. I generally request early admission at Universal.

There is another thread on here from a couple weeks ago that had the same issues at PB where their rooms were not available til late at night and watching others experiencing similar. Like I said, we have always experienced that at Universal resorts, glad to see at least you have not, but PB needs to get their stuff together and people don't have to accept it or excuse it. There are other things about Universal we have always liked more than WDW, like their express passes.

Last edited:

There is another thread on here from a couple weeks ago that had the same issues at PB where their rooms were not available til late at night and watching others experiencing similar. Like I said, we have always experienced that at Universal resorts, glad to see at least you have not, but PB needs to get their stuff together and people don't have to accept it or excuse it. There are other things about Universal we have always liked more than WDW, like their express passes.

I totally agree with you. I stated earlier that this is a totally unacceptable situation but I also think it is important that people reading these posts for information purposes realize that this isn't always the situation.

I totally agree with you. I stated earlier that this is a totally unacceptable situation but I also think it is important that people reading these posts for information purposes realize that this isn't always the situation.

Two threads within a couple of weeks of each other is more than "not always the situation". There is a serious problem going on at PB that looks like it goes up to management that needs to be addressed. No one thinks or said you shouldn't go to Universal, we love Universal.

Last edited:
Two threads within a couple of weeks of each other is more than "not always the situation". There is a serious problem going on at PB that looks like it goes up to management that needs to be addressed. No one thinks or said you shouldn't go to Universal, we love Universal.

Your posted experience wasn't about anything recent. It wasn't even about Portofino. My posted experience wasn't about anything recent.

Nobody is saying that this should go unaddressed. Everyone is saying the exact opposite. We are all saying that this is unacceptable. We all recognize that there is a problem.

That doesn't mean that we can't say that we did have good experiences in the past. It doesn't mean that Portofino always had these issues.

I'm not sure why this is even an argument. Nobody here has a problem with what the OP is complaining about. We all support her.

Its time to close this thread down.
All have said what they wanted to and no more discussion is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter