Competing our way around the World - A "Sophomore Family" UDA Nationals Pre-Trip Report - UPDATED

kimberwee

DIS Veteran
We're back for another season of "Road to Nationals" Fun!

For those who are just tuning in, I am Kimberwee. My DH and I have a beautiful teen daughter who lives and breathes dance/pom. She is geared up for a fantastic Sophomore year with her High School Pom Team, as they make their way to UDA Nationals at DW in February.

Here she is, proudly showing off her State Champion ring from last season:

Yukon_1995.jpg

Can't wait to journey through this fall, making plans and adjusting them as we go!

Just like last season, let's start with "The Dates"...

We blinked and here we are, planning another trip to UDA NATIONALS 🥰
The dates this year are:

1660069547567.png

Our team plans on travelling on Wednesday, 2/1 and returning on Monday, 2/6

The Resort...

I've been stalking the UDA site and just discovered that they have the Moderate Resort listed as the Coronado Springs. I've never stayed there, so I am pretty excited.
coronado-tower-16x9.jpg

Things that I am looking forward to at Coronado:
A dinner reservation @ Toledo
Drinks @ Three Bridges Bar

Things that I am NOT looking forward to at Coronado:
Not having Skyliner access like we did last year at CBR

Attachments

• 1660071627188.png
    1660071627188.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 2
Thank you so much for this ! We are so excited to go ! I think we are going to be staying at one of the all stars unfortunately. I love Coronado but it’s up to the coach . Make sure to try the corn dip and ahi tuna poke bowl at Three Bridges ! Delicious!
We may switch there for two extra days before we go home . We love it there !!

Thank you so much for this ! We are so excited to go ! I think we are going to be staying at one of the all stars unfortunately. I love Coronado but it’s up to the coach . Make sure to try the corn dip and ahi tuna poke bowl at Three Bridges ! Delicious!
We may switch there for two extra days before we go home . We love it there !!
It's not guaranteed, but we did stay moderate as a team last year. I am praying...lol...
We were spoiled last year, being at CBR with the Skyliner access. We were assigned the Jamaica building and had a corner room that made the walk over to Skyliner less than 2-3 minutes. It was perfect, because my family prefers Hollywood Studios and Epcot :lovestruc
I remember stressing about location of our room assignment and wanting to make a request, but I am glad that I didn't. If I had, we probably wouldn't have been with the team. I didn't mention it in my trip report, but there were a couple of nights where we pulled chairs out of our room and sat with a couple of cocktails, chatting with other parents from the team.

You are lucky to be able to get an extra day. Our seniors have that option but underclassmen have to fly back together as a team and report to school and practice the next day.

I have added the Corn Dip and Poke Bowl to my list...thanks for the recommendation! :)

The Flights...

Because DH is the Pom Team Booster Club Treasurer, I was able to find out that they are looking at particular flights already for the team. Naturally, we want to be on that plane, so we booked our seats as soon as we found out. It's extremely easy to make changes with Southwest, so I am not concerned if we need to switch them.

Tentatively, it looks like we will be arriving much later than last year...This is unfortunate, but means that we shouldn't need any extra day park tickets.
Our arrival time is 8:45pm, barring any delays...being February, that is always a possibility...

Luckily, our departure time on Monday is also late (6:50pm), so we will have free time added there.

With this info, I am going to go ahead and guess an itinerary. It will be fun to see how close I get to being accurate.

The Itinerary...
February 1 - TRAVEL DAY

With our flight being set for 2:15pm departure, I am guessing that we will need to be at the airport at 11:15am for bag check & group check-in through security

From there, the girls will be free to grab lunch and wait at the gate.

Our connection is in Houston, but isn't long, so we will need to make sure we either grab something quickly to eat or pack snacks. Arrival in MCO will be around 8:45pm.

Last year, the team took a chartered bus to the resort for check-in and some parents were able to tag along on the bus. DH and I took what we thought was a Taxi 🤦‍♀️. This time, we will probably still take Uber or Lyft instead of the charter. I liked being there ahead of the team and getting checked in.

Last year, I timed grocery delivery for arrival day, but being so late this year, I am going to push that to a morning delivery on 2/2.

When DH and I get to the resort, we will check in and drop our bags. From there we will probably head over to 3 Bridges for a drink and appetizer while we wait for the team... It's not necessary, as they are in the care of their coaches/sponsors, but we like to make sure DD is good with luggage, etc.

Quick note about checking in...we won't have our reservation # to use for MDE and this was an issue when trying to use Genie+, so we will need to make sure we get that from the CM's at check-in!

That night they will probably just go straight to a team meeting and then bed.

On to guessing Day 2...

Last edited:

The Itinerary...
February 2 - Thursday - PRACTICE DAY

Having gotten in so late the day before, we will also be unable to visit the UDA check-in on the first day, like we did last year. They will have morning hours to pick up our badges and passes.

DD will probably have to meet her team for scheduled practice during the day. Last year, we filled that time with a visit to Epcot. Not sure if it will be Epcot or Hollywood Studios this year. It really depends on if they have the Friday Night Private Hours at HS. If they do, we will go to Epcot.

In the evening, we know that they probably will have a team dinner at Planet Hollywood. This year, DH and I will skip out on that and go eat quickly at a bar somewhere else. We really like Boathouse, but I've been wanting to try Morimoto's...Homecomin's bar is also cool.

After the team eats, the girls get released to parents for shopping until 9'ish. When that rolls around, we will either head back to the resort to rest or, depending on our mood, stay out with a handful of parents.

It will really depend on the competition schedule...

On to guessing Day 3...

Last edited:
The Itinerary...
February 3 - Friday - Competition Day

Our team competes in two categories...Game Day and Pom.

Last year, competition times started for us on Friday and this is where we learned to go with the flow. We won't know what our competition times are until a week or 2 before, so we will have to be flexible and remember that this isn't a park trip.

If the competition schedule holds to what happened last year, this is the night we had the private party at Hollywood Studios. Hopefully, that is true again for this year. DD will not be allowed to attend, but DH and I loved it. We were able to ride so many rides with little to no wait.

On to guessing Day 4...

The Itinerary...
February 4 - Saturday - Competition Day

Saturday will be a lot like Friday, but without the private party. I think we may skip a park this year and spend some more time at Disney Springs or the resort. The weather last year was amazing, so it might not be a bad idea to hit the pool. Coronado looks beautiful and depending on competition times, we may be able to squeeze in a good dinner reservation.

DD won't have any free time for us, so she won't be considered in the day's plans.

On to guessing Day 5...

Last edited:
The Itinerary...
February 5 - Sunday - Possible Competition Day & Magic Kingdom Private Party

If the team does well on Saturday, we will have to compete on Sunday. If they don't advance, the girls will still be required to go watch Pom Finals on Sunday...

This will also probably be one of DD's only times to visit a park if she is released during the day. If so, we will probably head to Hollywood Studios or Epcot.

That evening, schedule permitting, we will grab dinner, pack our bags and rest before heading to the UDA Afterparty at Magic Kingdom.

We will be able to sleep in the next day, so the goal is to stay up until the party closes. We will see what happens...

On to guessing Day 6...

The Itinerary...
February 6 - Monday - Travel Day

Because our departure flight will be at 6:50pm, we will probably not have to meet as a team until around 3:30pm to catch the shuttle back to the airport.

With the free time, we will probably head over to Animal Kingdom (if we are able to go to HS the day before) until we have to report back. It's an easy park to get through when you are only looking at a couple of headliners. IF we hadn't already visited HS the previous day, we will more than likely go there.

The key will be flexibility with plans. This will be DD's day and we will let her call the shots.

Once again, after we do get back to MCO, we will get through security and be allowed to wander. Last year, everyone was exhausted and most just sat at the gate...

I AM SO READY FOR THIS YEAR!!

Now, on to posting about life, itinerary changes and our ROAD TO NATIONALS...GO YUKON! :cheer2:

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this trip report ! It’s so helpful ! I think this time will be go with the flow instead of my usual planning . It seems like the girls barely make it into the parks for anything other than the two parties. I believe the coach will have to make park reservations for them because it’s all on one reservation number . Yikes ! Thanks again for this !

Thank you so much for this trip report ! It’s so helpful ! I think this time will be go with the flow instead of my usual planning . It seems like the girls barely make it into the parks for anything other than the two parties. I believe the coach will have to make park reservations for them because it’s all on one reservation number . Yikes ! Thanks again for this !
If your coach is anything like ours, they will gladly hand over the reservation number for your DD. Last year, we got our DD's reservation number the week before, which is fine considering it is a lower traffic time of year.

Time for an update!

Its been a while since I have checked in on this PTR and there have been some developments:

1. WE HAVE A BACK-TO-BACK STATE CHAMPION!!!

The team did an amazing job at OSSAA and grabbed another title...so, next years pic on a UDA PTR will have a smiling DD with 2 RINGS on her hand :yay:
2022StateChamps.jpg

2. We have registered! I forgot how cumbersome that can be...ugh

3. We have friends and family joining us again for this year!
My MIL, DH's Aunt and my SIL (and my adorable 4 year old Nephew) will be making the trip. MIL and SIL came last year and loved it...so, they are bringing along our Aunt (who is recently widowed) and hadn't travelled much at all over the last 25 years due to her husbands health. So excited for her!
AND...DD's Boyfriend is coming...here's the tea:
DD has known her boyfriend for years, through a family acquaintance. We met him and his family at the lake several years ago and have become friends who see each other there a once or twice every summer. This May, after not having seen each other for a year, they reconnected on social media and have been dating since July. We just adore him and his family. Because they have never been to Disney World, and fell in love with the idea of going with a self-proclaimed professional 🤣, they decided to book. They will be joining us Thursday-Monday and are looking forward to supporting DD, as well as attending the private parties. Hope they love Disney as much as we do...

4. We head "HOME" in 3 DAYS!! We've been so busy with life that I haven't packed yet...well, except for my corkcicle and popcorn bucket from our last Nationals trip...those two things are already in the suitcase. We will be at BCV on Saturday - Monday and then move over to AKL on Monday - Saturday. I am nervous about Genie+, but other than that I am looking forward to the giant family trip. There will be 15 of us, so pray that I return with Sanity intact...🤣

Reactions: DLo
1. Congratulations to your daughter!! That’s amazing!! We don’t start competition until December 3rd !! State is January 27-28th so we have the entire season to go .
2. You wouldn’t believe all we went through to register. Our coach is new and young and doesn’t delegate anything. We are truly lucky to have family packages booked . I had all kinds of other days booked and pieced together at Coronado . It worked out but was touch and go if we would actually get a package booked.
3. That’s awesome that you have so many people coming !!
4. Have fun on your trip !! I’m sure it will be amazing!!

Updates!
Well, we had a great family vacation over Thanksgiving break...lots of great memories. I will get around to posting pics eventually.

We got back into town the Saturday after Thanksgiving and I immediately got REALLY sick. It was a cold that turned into a MAJOR sinus infection. I was down for 2 weeks and lost 14lbs. Within those two weeks, our world was knocked a little sideways.
1. DD and her bf broke up (the same one who is supposed to come to Nationals 😬 )
2. My mom told me that she has to have brain surgery (which is actually happening as I type)
3. Pom Team drama with a big competition organization/company
4. Other small stuff, but when piled on top of other stuff felt like big stuff

I mean, I really pride myself on being a strong and confident woman, but holy moly that was a long December.

If you remember, DD's boyfriend's family are family friends...so, with the fact that the breakup wasn't a result of anything deceptive or ugly, I let them know that they should still consider going. DD will be busy with her team and wouldn't even have to see him if she didn't want to. She's of the mindset that she doesn't care if they go. I worry that it is going to distract and take away from her focus...even though she says that it won't. There is still a chance that they aren't going to go. I haven't gotten a straight answer from them on their decision (I've asked 3 times and not gotten a definitive answer) and they have until the 10th to cancel...so, we shall see.

ON TO OTHER THINGS...

1. We made a reservation for Raglan Road @ 9pm on Thursday, 2/2 for a large group of Pom Parents/Family/Friends... Our team will probably be on their way back to Coronado at that time and if this year goes anything like last year, we will want dinner. We love Raglan Road. I am just concerned that after a long day at Epcot, we won't be interested. I am also going to have to watch what performance times we have Friday. Last year, it was early morning, so we may not want to be out late at all.
2. We've paid off our trip and received our (DH and I) confirmation numbers for tickets, which have now been linked to our MDE and park reservations have been made: 2/2 - Epcot, 2/3 - Hollywood Studios, 2/4 - Animal Kingdom, 2/5 - Magic Kingdom & 2/6 - Hollywood Studios

Now we wait for DD's ticket confirmation #...we should get it in a couple of weeks. I am not worried about getting it late. She will only need park reservations for 2 days (Sunday and Monday)

27 DAYS TO GO...TIME TO GET EXCITED!!

Reactions: DLo
I’m so sorry to hear about your troubles. How is your mom ? I hope surgery went well and she’s getting back to things by now . 🙏🏻We have had a tough couple of years with my parent’s health too . So much to juggle with the kids . We are ready to go to UDA nationals! Leave on February 1st ! We are at Coronado also ! We are planning Epcot on Wednesday, Sunday Magic Kingdom and Monday Hollywood studios ! Our friend is in FOTLK . If she is performing we will adjust our schedule to see her ! I’ve heard the late night at Friday is at MK . We need a park pass for that don’t we ?Hope all is well ! Can’t wait for the trip !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter