Company hosted Potluck - update 12/19

If you like the pasta idea, I'm sure there are also some local Italian restaurants that will cater pans of baked ziti, salad, & rolls. Catered pasta might end up being more inexpensive than a catered taco bar too.
As funny as it might sound we don't have an Italian place in town. Lots of Mexican, Chinese & Pizza. But now that I think of it one of the Pizza places does do pasta so maybe I will look into them.

Sandwiches just seem to "lunch" to me. I already know we can do that for less than $10 per person including all sides & dessert. I have done that for lunch meetings a lot.

If you still needed to cut costs, could you buy the meat from the Mexican restaurant and have people bring the shells, vegetables, cheese, chips, guac and sour cream?

That would be easy and keep until an evening party.

If you still needed to cut costs, could you buy the meat from the Mexican restaurant and have people bring the shells, vegetables, cheese, chips, guac and sour cream? .
Honestly. If I can get the boss to okay one of the ideas for the meal. I am thinking of maybe having people sign up to bring an appetizer or dessert. That way if we get the shaft on these things it won't matter that much. Who eats cookies with beer anyway? ;)

Kind of late to the party, but of course I want to put in my 2 cents.

I really, really hate pot lucks. Mainly because I always end up hungry or having to pack my own food.

I'm attending one right after Thanksgiving, and I am dreading every minute of it.

Kind of late to the party, but of course I want to put in my 2 cents.

I really, really hate pot lucks. Mainly because I always end up hungry or having to pack my own food.

I'm attending one right after Thanksgiving, and I am dreading every minute of it.

BBM - You're not alone ... I really, really hate them too and I've taken to packing my own food too.

Other than feeling like I am/was being called a liar by one poster, I don't feel judged or flamed. I came here for input, which I have gotten. Honestly, I didn't expect so many to be put off by the idea of a potluck because everyone I have talked to seem fine with it. Personally, I am not big on eat "other peoples food" and usually stick to whatever I brought or eat before/after.

The date I wanted to do was the Monday before but was told that that was too far away. Monday works best because our Ale House is already closed to the public that day. But Monday may not work because of the 3 or 4 people who will choose to over indulge and then call out drunk the next day. We already work with a skeleton crew, so even ONE person calling out would hinder us.

We really haven't done too much planning yet, that will happen tomorrow or Friday. That is what the purpose of this thread was. Get feedback from outside sources so I had a clearer picture.

Thank you to everyone. Consensus seems to be either provide the entire meal (or at minimum the main dish/dishes. I am going to propose this, with the options I have found. In the end it is up to the boss to set the budget. If he does not want to spend $1,000 maybe he would be okay with doing an appetizer and drinks and having it say from 4p - 6p. And to move it farther away from Christmas I think Friday 12/15 is a better option anyway. Only issue is the one place (local grocery store) only has the meals available 12/20 - 12/24.

The thing is, I didn't call you a liar. I said you were purposely quoting full meals to support your idea that anything other than spaghetti would be too costly. You're proposing a potluck, so why would you quote full meals, when post after post after post referred to just the ham?

Good luck. Maybe google some potluck organizing ideas, they might be helpful to you. Or maybe have someone else spearhead this.Management is all about delegation.

As a person on a budget, I’d rather the company host a happy hour than force me to feed my coworkers. It’s not much of a thank you when I have to spend my own money to throw a party I didn’t ask for.

As a single woman, I’d be *especially* resentful of feeding my colleagues spouses and children when they brought an equivalent contribution to mine.

I agree with everybody about not doing the Friday before the Xmas weekend. I say have them bring in breakfast that day - donuts, a couple of fruit trays and juice and coffee. Or do Walmart subs and have people bring sides for lunch. If they want to give away alcohol (is this the business?) put bows on a six pack or bottle of wine and have it ready as a gift when they leave at the end of the day.
I've never been to a company sponsored holiday party where I had to bring food.
Otherwise, do you live in a warm climate? If you do, bring a grill and do brats, hot dogs and burgers. And employees can bring the sides.

Last edited:
The thing is, I didn't call you a liar. I said you were purposely quoting full meals to support your idea that anything other than spaghetti would be too costly.
That is your opinion, not a fact. I gave the pricing for the complete meal because that is what many posters said they would expect. Honestly, you are the only poster that I feel as if I am being attacked by.

And I did get pricing for Spaghetti from the local pizza place I had mentioned above and it's cost is still the cheapest option but still over $600 when you include them supplying salad & bread.

In the end it is not my call on what is done. I only get to "work the magic" and make it happen once everything is finalized.

I get what you were saying OP. A big number of us said a potluck is a bad idea so you priced out the cost of a full meal.

Another idea is maybe scratch the kids and spouses. Only actual employees to a happy hour that your boss will foot the bill for.

We had a happy hour recently. It was about 20-25 people. About 2-3 hours. No one had to stay the whole time so people were in and out. It was a steady flow with some having one drink and leaving and some staying the entire time. One of the docs picked up the bill and it was about $1100 (i heard).

I get what you were saying OP. A big number of us said a potluck is a bad idea so you priced out the cost of a full meal.

Another idea is maybe scratch the kids and spouses. Only actual employees to a happy hour that your boss will foot the bill for.

We had a happy hour recently. It was about 20-25 people. About 2-3 hours. No one had to stay the whole time so people were in and out. It was a steady flow with some having one drink and leaving and some staying the entire time. One of the docs picked up the bill and it was about $1100 (i heard).
This is a MUCH better idea, right after work, a couple of hours, just supply some snacks.

This is a MUCH better idea, right after work, a couple of hours, just supply some snacks.

Since it was a bar they couldn’t and didn’t bring food in but with it being happy hour, apps were pretty cheap. We ordered what we wanted and everyone shared. It was a steady flow of ordering food and drinks.

Last edited:
Good luck, Christa. It's tough when you get a project that's "budget friendly" but they don't want to tell you what the actual budget is. It's hard to know whether they mean "spend as absolutely little as you can" or "don't go hog wild" (in which case $10-15/person is probably reasonable.)

A few things, some of which have already been suggested:
1) I agree with others that 12/22 is too close to Christmas. If it *must* be on a Friday, then the week before would be better.
2) Personally, I wouldn't mind eating spaghetti, especially if it meant that I didn't have to bring anything. (Between a hosted spaghetti dinner, or an after-work potluck on a work night, I'd choose the hosted dinner.) At minimum, I think you should try to supply the main dish. Several people suggested budget-friendly main-dish options: prepared hams/turkeys or a chicken tenders platter, or subs/deli-tray?
3) Logistics for an after-work potluck would be difficult when it comes to keeping food at serving temperature all day, or going home and making it/heating it up and then coming back to the venue. If you decide to go with a potluck, breakfast or lunch might be a better option.
4) Liability wise, if you're serving alcohol, I think you need to serve the main dish or heavy appetizers, especially if the party is at a meal time. If you do straight potluck you might get lots of chips/cookies, etc that wouldn't really be a good meal. Also, if people drinking so excessively that they would have to call in drunk to work the next day is a true problem, you might want to consider some sort of system to limit drinks (2 alcoholic drinks per person, and unlimited soft drinks and coffee?)
5) It's nice to want to include the whole family, but unless precedent has been set that all holiday events include families, I think it would be fine to just offer something to your employees. Does the ale-house serve lunch? Could you take the employees (only) to lunch at the ale-house instead of doing an evening event? If not, maybe a hosted happy hour including some heavy hors d'oeuvres would be a better option... maybe you can do it a little on the early side (4-6) so people can get home to their families and aren't expecting "dinner."

ETA: The company my sister works for does their "holiday" party in mid-January. My sister likes that. (It's less holiday focused -- no Christmas music, etc -- but a "thanks for making it a great year" kind of party.) Their business is often busy at the end of the year, and with personal holiday prep, December is very hectic. They announce the party plenty early so everyone knows there will be an employee appreciation event, but it's actually held in January when things are a little calmer.

Last edited:
...In the end it is not my call on what is done. I only get to "work the magic" and make it happen once everything is finalized.
What's your actual opinion on what should be happening here? You know these people better than we do. I think most of us have been reacting to how we would feel, as employees, if the event as it's being proposed, was offered to us. It just seems so weak, as either a reward or a festive celebration. (And possibly a ton of work and worry for you for something that will fall flat anyway.) Please do come back after you've met with "the boss" and update on the final plans. :flower3:

Definitely update us on what you and the boss are able to hash out.

It is very generous of you to agree to cook a spaghetti dinner for 60 people, but hopefully the boss will agree that something else is a better idea. I know if someone asked me to cook that in my house, it would take me forever because I don't have the kind of pots and pans that would be needed to cook spaghetti/sauce/garlic bread for that many people and would have to make it in multiple batches.

I am a teacher and last year our principal scheduled our holiday party in the evening of the Friday night after our last day of school for the holiday break - I skipped the party because I was already in "break mode" and didn't want to do something work related, even if it was something that might have been fun. If the boss insists on having it that last Friday, I hope he is prepared to have lots of people not come. I know I would most likely skip.

Like I have said a couple weeks ago the boss said he would like us to do a Holiday party. It was then left to me to look at options that we would go over and finalize. So I talked to a few people IRL and then came here to get other opinions. I have never told him that I would or could cook. We used to have an employee who thought she was a chef and she would cook a Turkey or whatever for these types of things. I would never attempt to do that but I can cook spaghetti. So I thought if I had to I could/would do that. I never said I WANTED to do that.

I agree with everyone that Friday 12/22 is not a good idea, it should be the week before - I am proposing this.

Food of some sort needs to be provided and always was planned to be. Right now my suggestion is actually going to be lasagna (both meat & veggie - boss is veg), salad & bread from the local pizza place.

After work, on a Friday with family has always been the way these types of events have been.

Since beer is a big part of these parties, being that we are a brewery, during working hours is not possible. They did it once and it did not end well, people got fired.

Most people limit themselves to 2 beers. I have & will stop service to someone, if needed. I know the ones to keep an eye out on. I won't kick anyone out at the end of the event if they can't drive.

I am not sure if we will discuss today or tomorrow but I will come back and let you know.

Side question:
Music - Christmas music only, a mix of Christmas & other or NO Christmas?

Like I have said a couple weeks ago the boss said he would like us to do a Holiday party. It was then left to me to look at options that we would go over and finalize. So I talked to a few people IRL and then came here to get other opinions. I have never told him that I would or could cook. We used to have an employee who thought she was a chef and she would cook a Turkey or whatever for these types of things. I would never attempt to do that but I can cook spaghetti. So I thought if I had to I could/would do that. I never said I WANTED to do that.

I agree with everyone that Friday 12/22 is not a good idea, it should be the week before - I am proposing this.

Food of some sort needs to be provided and always was planned to be. Right now my suggestion is actually going to be lasagna (both meat & veggie - boss is veg), salad & bread from the local pizza place.

After work, on a Friday with family has always been the way these types of events have been.

Since beer is a big part of these parties, being that we are a brewery, during working hours is not possible. They did it once and it did not end well, people got fired.

Most people limit themselves to 2 beers. I have & will stop service to someone, if needed. I know the ones to keep an eye out on. I won't kick anyone out at the end of the event if they can't drive.

I am not sure if we will discuss today or tomorrow but I will come back and let you know.

Side question:
Music - Christmas music only, a mix of Christmas & other or NO Christmas?

I think lasagna, salad, & bread from the pizza place & moving the party to the Friday before is a great idea!

No one is having to attend a work party right before Christmas & no one is having to bring anything to the party. Plus, you're not having to worry about making spaghetti for 60 people or making sure everyone signs up for different items on a potluck to make sure there is enough of everything. I hope your boss agrees!

However, be prepared for people to make various other suggestions regarding the lasagna - some people may not like lasagna, some people may be dairy free, some kids don't like lasagna, you should offer a plain pasta option, etc. But, remember, you cannot please everyone, & you're going w/ the best option within your parameters. Bonus, you're not asking anyone to bring anything - except maybe a dessert.

Regarding music, I say a mix of Christmas music & other happy, festive, feel-good songs.

However, be prepared for people to make various other suggestions regarding the lasagna - some people may not like lasagna, some people may be dairy free, some kids don't like lasagna, you should offer a plain pasta option, etc. But, remember, you cannot please everyone, & you're going w/ the best option within your parameters. Bonus, you're not asking anyone to bring anything - except maybe a dessert.

Regarding music, I say a mix of Christmas music & other happy, festive, feel-good songs.

There is no way I could please everyone. I know this. And I am not even going to try. No matter what we get, someone isn't going to like it. I always try to have a vegan option available because I live with one and hear here complain about not having any options.

And I agree on the music. A mix of good non-religious Christmas music and "happy" music. With everyone talking the music is going to get drowned out anyway.

"He would like US to do a hoiday party...."
The language and semantics here say it all.

I am wishing you good luck!!!! I really am!!!!
But I think the first impressions that I, and some others, have had might be valid.

Let us know your budget!
You really should have gotten that before asking for input. That is a crucial factor.

You mentioned about 60 people?
And that Pasta would run about $600.00.
I just have to think that if $10.00pp is a concern... Houston... We have a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter