Company Christmas party -- is it free?

Squirlz said:
There was one table of people left out of the 70+ people that showed. It was the last year they offered a Christmas party.

This is probably why companies shouldn't offer free Christmas parties. Even a small cost will encourage people to go, if they have signed up for it. Usually companies aren't being cheap when they don't provide free parties. They are being smart so they are not paying for tons of meals that people don't show up for.

I work for a large NYC firm so we never pay for ours. Spouses are never invited though. They have ranged from locations such as the Rainbow Room to the NYC Public Library (didn't attend that one) to a very nice hotel to the company cafeteria for just the department during a really bad year. I've never been a big fan of the parties but usually attend. This year I'm skipping because my parents are arriving that day from out of town.

But I will attend the departmental luncheon in January that is being held at Carmines. We are expected to pay half the bill. It's way too high priced and I'm not necessarily a fan of the heavy food mid-day. Makes me want to nap. :goodvibes

DH's company pays for him and a guest, a.k.a, me:) It's in a beautiful banquet hall, 7 course meal and a dance afterwards:thumbsup2

The company even pays for taxis for anyone who needs a ride home

Just left the first of four my company will have this year. And yes, they all are free. I work for a really big university hospital and we have hospital parties as well as ones broken down into individual departments. I have a formal one where spouses are invited and all next week. Then one for all of the employees of the hospital and our office (bariatric department) on the 20th, that one we exchange gifts and everything.

Guess, I'm spoiled too. At tonight's we even had games with cash prizes.

Hospital does a Christmasluncheon for all employees which is free.

Specific departments may do separate things for thieir department. Some are paid for by the dept. managers, some the employee kicks in.

My last employer had a nice party but we did have to pay. (Dress up, dj, decent food, in a venue). My current employer (different company, same field, but instead of working in the store, I am in corporate) and we have it during work hours in our conference room, catered by our company, and it's free. They have door prizes. It's fun.

Christmas party is free, but it is asked that you bring a dessert to share. It is VERY casual.

ETA: now that I've seen some of the details others posted...I am actually referring to my husband's work--I am a stay at home mom.

The party includes spouses and children--in fact I'd say it more geared towards the spouses and children. There will be a Santa and probably some games or other activities for the kids. It's held on a Saturday (non work day) afternoon. And like I said it's very casual. Typical food served is burgers or sandwiches, soda...no alcohol...potluck dessert. I will probably wear jeans, it's that casual.

This is probably why companies shouldn't offer free Christmas parties. Even a small cost will encourage people to go, if they have signed up for it. Usually companies aren't being cheap when they don't provide free parties. They are being smart so they are not paying for tons of meals that people don't show up for.

I work in the same city as Clark for a mid/large national corporation headquartered elsewhere. (Our formal dinner party is likely held at the same location as yours!!). There is no fee to attend, but participation had dwindled annually. Logic would say it's time to reevaluate the entire thing. If HQ's intention is to convey employee appreciation perhaps a cash bonus roughly equivalent to the cost of two "plates" tucked into a pretty Christmas card would be much more well-received. (FWIW our division also does a number of in-office holiday events during business hours that are planned and executed without corporate input. We all enjoy these events a lot more.)

We don't have to pay for our "holiday" party.

It's a catered meal at a nice hotel with karaoke and such.

I go pretty much because we are expected to. We have a full day company meeting, then the party, then have to be back at 8:00 am for more meeting.

With the exception of a few people I'm not real crazy about hanging out with most of these folks when they are paying me to do it, I sure as heck don't want to hang with them when I'm NOT getting paid for it.

....that and the $55 we have to shell out is why I'm not attending mine this year either...:confused3

Wow that seems like alot to go to a party.

I honestly don't know if dh's company charges for theirs because we never go.

When I worked we did an in office thing. Pollyanna and everyone brought in food. They used to have big parties out but one got out of hand (before I started there) and that ended that.

DH works for a huge nation wide company and they get nothing. They used to get to pick a ham or gourmet chocolate. His union does do a party but we don't go.

ours is free. i work at a church, and it's a staff and elders (church leaders) Christmas party. no gift exchange, just food and silly games. usually, the church buys the sliced ham or turkey, and the guests supply sides and drinks. however, this year, the pastor has hired one of our church members, who is a FAN-TAB-U-LOUS cook, to cater it. so we don't even have to cook!

Also work at a church and this is about what we have. The church family is invited, though it's during the day so it's really just the little old ladies of the church. But church pays for the ham and others bring sides. Staff had a tradition we had to make gingerbread to bring, but last year the community ministry took on dessert too- decided staff should just show up. :thumbsup2

In previous lives, when DH and I didn't work for nonprofits, our companies each had a big dinner party at a hotel/nice restaurant. All free except a cash bar.

We have two events, one is the office potluck which is held at the office the week before Christmas and is for all staff, and our business partners, service providers etc. Drinks, including wine and beer, are provided. Some years we did a white elephant gift exchange but a few years ago we just asked anyone who wanted to bring a gift, to bring something for a toy charity. Since it is a potluck there is no charge for anything.

The second event is held very early in January, and for the past 10 years, the owners take every employee, and our entire family, away for a 2 night stay at a ski resort. We have our hotel, open bar on Friday night, full course buffet dinner (for a few years we had a 5 course, served meal but people seem to prefer the buffet) with full open bar before, during and after. They used to provide a separate entertainment room with a "kid friendly" buffet for the children, complete with baby sitters, but when they switched to the buffet meal for the adults they made the change to include all the children for dinner as well.

It is absolutely, 100% free (except for the travel cost to get there since it is typically about 2 hours away). The hotel/resorts we stay in are gorgeous and everyone usually has a fantastic time. We don't always go, and a couple of times I went by myself because we had stuff going on at home so my husband stayed home with the children/pets.

Last year was the last time we assumed our daughter would be able or want to come with us. She's 18, in university, and has a part time job. We had a beautiful 1 bdrm condo style unit with full kitchen so we told each of our children they could each bring a friend. The girls and I used the pool/sauna, shopped and relaxed, the boys and DH went skiing during the day. I brought lots of food so the kids chose to just relax and eat in the condo while DH and I went to the dinner and after party. On the way home the next day we stopped and went snow tubing for a few hours. It was a great mini vacation and fun for the teenagers as well.

This year our son has hockey on the Friday night and frankly it is more important to me to see him play, so we will only be going for one night and drive up Saturday morning. Originally I declined the invite entirely and within 10 mins of getting the email response one of the owners was in my office saying "what the heck" and the other had responded to my email with "wrong answer, try again!" DH was pretty disappointed that I had declined so I caved and agreed to go for the Saturday activities instead.

DS is starting his first job soon and depending on his work schedule he may come with us, and if so, he will be allowed to bring a friend again. If he doesn't want to come he can stay home with his sister.

Now, if that isn't generous enough, we also have a "summer event" party, again, at a resort a couple of hours away. That is a one day/night event which again is open bar and a lovely meal. That one is more "optional" and while they don't pay for the entire cost of the hotel, they do subsidize it. They are very, very generous to the employees!

My company had their last company party 3 yrs ago. Rumor has it that alcohol consumption had something to do with it. It was always at a fancy county club, buffet and open bar. And lots of gifts given away raffle style. There were always cabs for those that couldn't drive home. Last year we got a decent size target gift card instead of a party. Not sure what we are getting this year.I am Ok with the gift card.

mom2d&b said:
My company had their last company party 3 yrs ago. Rumor has it that alcohol consumption had something to do with it. It was always at a fancy county club, buffet and open bar. And lots of gifts given away raffle style. There were always cabs for those that couldn't drive home. Last year we got a decent size target gift card instead of a party. Not sure what we are getting this year.I am Ok with the gift card.

I forgot about the alcohol. This was also the reason our company charges some for the Christmas parties. This one company I worked at 10 years ago had an open bar. One of the young women that works for the company got so drunk she was dancing on the tables. The next year the company changed their party policies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter