Company Christmas party -- is it free?

Minnie_me

DIS Veteran
Just wonderin'. I have to pay to go to mine, and I think that stinks. Morale is so low, and they want us to socialize and "be merry". I feel like that would happen a lot quicker if we didn't have to pay to go to the party.

I have never worked anywhere else, so I don't know what it's like at other places. I guess I just assumed that company Christmas parties are *free*, like a thank-you gift from the powers-that-be. :confused3

We pay for ours. It is not a lot but it is not free. Our employee engagement team does fundraisers during the year and money from those funds most of the costs (mainly paying 10.00 a month so you can wear jeans instead of dress clothes). We always seem to have it at dave and busters (not my favorite spot) and employees pay maybe 5.00 but if you bring a guest the amount is higher. I guess we really do pay the whole cost since money that you pay during the year is used for this.

I do not think I will go this year..big waste of time since it is just sitting around and talking about work.

I don't pay for mine, but we have to get all dressed up like we are going to a fancy wedding, so in the end it costs lots of money.

FWIW, we're only having appetizers and soda. If we want alcohol, we have to pay even more.

I've never worked anywhere with a holiday party. My husbands last company did a huge Holiday party and paid for it. Flew employee and significant other to corporate in south Florida, big dinner/party and then usually a football game (dolphins/patriots) the next day. This was a small private company. His new company, one of biggest hardware/software companies in the world and they do nothing!

ours is free. i work at a church, and it's a staff and elders (church leaders) Christmas party. no gift exchange, just food and silly games. usually, the church buys the sliced ham or turkey, and the guests supply sides and drinks. however, this year, the pastor has hired one of our church members, who is a FAN-TAB-U-LOUS cook, to cater it. so we don't even have to cook!

Company pays for ours, but spouses/signficant others are $25.00. It's usually hosted at a swanky hotel in each of our major locations. It's usually a pretty okay time.

Back when I worked somewhere that HAD company party, the company footed the bill. It was always pretty swanky for those of us at headquarters. The factory party was just a nice meal and a longer lunch though.

We have to pay to go to ours but it's not much....$10.00 a person with a full meal, a DJ and dancing, and door prizes. I work retail so we have ours after Christmas. We call it our "We survived the Holidays Party!" It's a fun night out. My husband doesn't go because he hates to socialize with work people. A few of the other girls from work don't bring there spouses either so it ends up being a fun girls night out.

I've never heard of paying to go to your company Christmas party, but I learn something new all the time. Years ago I worked at a small, private company and we always had a Christmas party. I've also worked for a large corporation and they always had something during the season. I now work in the local school district and we never have anything official during the holidays. People bring in cookies or other treats to share, but no official party of any sort.

DH's company Christmas party is free, and very fancy. It is at a fantastic resort ballroom and they go all out ~ Hors d'oeuvres, open bar, plated 5 course meal and dancing with a band.

It's very nice. :)

We have a departmental party (tomorrow, actually), where the division directors pitch in $20, and the department director pays the rest, for entrees (Italian beef and mostaccioli), and we carry in sides.

We have a full employee party next Friday (lunchtime)-- it's appetizers and sandwiches, beer, wine and soda, and it's free. And mandatory.

My dh used to work for the city. Holiday parties were potluck + $5 to pay for paper products. In a way, I get it, no one wants their taxes going to parties.

He now works for an engineering firm. Big downtown ballroom catered event for free. Cracks me up, because employees get 2 drink tickets to the bar... the "+1" gets 3!

I work at Target. No party. No bonus. Just do your job and shut up. Sometimes we get bakery "day-olds" in the break room though. yay.

At one of my old jobs in retail we had a holiday party for the department managers. It was free and would be at a resteraunt. We couldnt bring guests and if we wanted alcohol we had to pay for it ourselves. They usually had door prizes and our store manager made us play pictionary every year

Worked for the government. Employee Christmas party was always paid for by the employees. The senior management Christmas party was separate, and paid for by their boss.

I've worked in banking and finance for 25 years & have never payed for a work party. Honestly I wouldn't go if I had to. I'm not keen on attending in the first place.

DH just reminded me they also have departmental meetings (his is next week, which is why he reminded me :rotfl:). Those are sign-up potluck, but still free. :)

Typically it is a casual affair with free food, booze, and raffle prizes.

We are having a rough year economically, so the event was significantly down sized, but still free.

Ours is an all-staff party for families....they have it at the student center with a nice dinner for those who want "fancy" upstairs and wings/pizza/bowling downstairs with little stations in between. They usually have activities for the kids scattered around as well....

They used to do a formal brunch for adults only and it was a hassle finding sitters....this is so much better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter