Come here to chat while waiting for the 2021 DVC Member Cruise! Will it happen??

I've always wanted to do a Member Cruise. This year I have a fair amount of points that ended up being banked from last year due to Covid-19. Since rentals are not in the cards for this year anyway, it could be a good way to use of the points, but DH does not want to end up in a quarantine situation on the ship in the event of a Covid-19 breakout. That would be a complete disaster for us. So..... as much as I want to go, I can't in good conscience pull the trigger on booking the MC when the window opens. If there is still room on the ship closer to sailing I would re-evaluate, but sadly the threat of an on-ship quarantine will probably be a looming threat and end up being a deal breaker for us.

Last edited:
Hmm, I’ll keep this one in mind in case we have to cancel our December trip and have borrowed points that won’t be returned!

How are the member cruises compared to the regular Disney cruises? Are they less crowded?
No, they are not "less crowded" traditionally Member Cruises sell out extremely quickly. It will be interesting to see if this one sells out quickly too. I have no idea what will happen on Aug 8th when booking opens, my gut says it won't sell out quickly, but people seem anxious to travel and return to "normal" -- guess we'll see.

I’ve never been on a DVC cruise (or any Disney Cruise for that matter). They seem expensive, at $3,100 to $3,400 per person plus $1,886 for our 13 year old. I’ll try to find some trip reports to see what they offer that makes them different from a regular cruise. Also, if I register for a room on August 8, will the total amount be due then? If so, that would be a deal breaker.

My main concern is it's hurricane season...DH and I have never taken a cruise but I have heard Disney cruises are really nice but they tend to be much more expensive than other cruise lines. This would be a nice way for us to celebrate our 48th wedding anniversary. For those who have done a Disney cruise before how does the cost compare to other cruise lines and what about the chance of hitting a hurricane

I’ve never been on a DVC cruise (or any Disney Cruise for that matter). They seem expensive, at $3,100 to $3,400 per person plus $1,886 for our 13 year old. I’ll try to find some trip reports to see what they offer that makes them different from a regular cruise. Also, if I register for a room on August 8, will the total amount be due then? If so, that would be a deal breaker.
Yes, total is due when booking. I use Disney Visa, so I do have 6 months to pay the balance without interest.

Other than the fact that they allow walking, this is my second beef against DVC. Members Cruises are expensive, and if a member wants to come, I think they should be made welcomed. Your points may not be welcomed, but I think you should be.

I agree, it’s not like the cruise is offered at a discount. But I guess if it sells out, they want to make it exclusive to Blue card holders.

I really want to go on a member cruise, but June is my busy time at work. Eventually!

I agree, it’s not like the cruise is offered at a discount. But I guess if it sells out, they want to make it exclusive to Blue card holders.

I really want to go on a member cruise, but June is my busy time at work. Eventually!
Sorry it doesn’t fit your schedule!

My main concern is it's hurricane season...DH and I have never taken a cruise but I have heard Disney cruises are really nice but they tend to be much more expensive than other cruise lines. This would be a nice way for us to celebrate our 48th wedding anniversary. For those who have done a Disney cruise before how does the cost compare to other cruise lines and what about the chance of hitting a hurricane
Yes, June 12-17 technically is in hurricane season, but it’s so early in the season that it’s highly unlikely this cruise would be affected by a hurricane or tropical storm. Cruising the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico in August, September and into October is a different story!

I agree with @CarolynFH - technically it's hurricane season but it's earlier in hurricane season so I don't think it would be as risky as later in the season. My husband and I went on a Caribbean cruise in September and I'll never do that again. Disney cruises are great, but they are a lot more expensive than other cruise lines. I always tell people that if they have the budget for it, the Caribbean is the itinerary I'd splurge for because of Castaway Cay and the fireworks at sea (which aren't guaranteed due to weather).

DH and I took our first MC on the Oct 2019 Bermuda trip and enjoyed it, however, the true DCL fanatic in our family is our 16yo DS. He was devastated that he couldn't come in Oct and so we are planning to book for this one - just DS16 and me. DS13 will (hopefully) be involved in baseball and golf and DH isn't super interested in another MC.
We also have a Celebrity Alaska cruise booked for Aug 2021, this was my DS13's pick before he enters high school, but figuring out that we may have to move it or cancel due to his expected activites (high school golf team tryouts) which is a bummer.
I do have to work on 8/8 daytime so relying on DH to book for us!

Last edited:
I really would only book an Alaskan member cruise. Not a huge fan of cruises in general, but Alaska sounds amazing.
If you’re only going to do one, Alaska is the one to do. It is amazing! However, be prepared to get hooked - the DVC MC to Alaska in 2015 was the carrot to finally get me on a cruise, our first and we’ve done several others since then. Since the DVC Alaska Cruise this year had to be cancelled, they’re now going back To Alaska in 2022.

If you’re only going to do one, Alaska is the one to do. It is amazing! However, be prepared to get hooked - the DVC MC to Alaska in 2015 was the carrot to finally get me on a cruise, our first and we’ve done several others since then. Since the DVC Alaska Cruise this year had to be cancelled, they’re now going back To Alaska in 2022.

They’re going to Alaska in 2022? Can I bring my parents who aren’t members as long as we are?

They’re going to Alaska in 2022? Can I bring my parents who aren’t members as long as we are?
If there is room, a member can book up to 4 ( I think ) Cabins. 2022 will be instead of the cruise that was to be this year. If you were booked on it, you actually have the same cabin(s) at the same price for 2022. They are refunding money, reservation points to those who can’t go, and I think those that are booked will be able to change cabins before they open up to other members who hadn’t been booked.
So, keep an eye opened for news!

If there is room, a member can book up to 4 ( I think ) Cabins. 2022 will be instead of the cruise that was to be this year. If you were booked on it, you actually have the same cabin(s) at the same price for 2022. They are refunding money, reservation points to those who can’t go, and I think those that are booked will be able to change cabins before they open up to other members who hadn’t been booked.
So, keep an eye opened for news!

If you look at the Notifications on the DVC website after you log in, third one down has the info and New dates on the cancelled 2020 cruise and the move to 2022, with all of the dates and deadlines for those who were booked. The 2020 Alaska MC was extremely popular, it sold out in three hours on booking day! Very hard to say how many cabins will become available with the new dates, and no info on how they will be handling the wait list for the original dates or what the pricing will be for new bookings.

If you are interested in Alaska in 2022, you might want to give Member Services a call to ask some questions & see what they can tell you now. The first deadline is August 5 to cancel original bookings and get a refund, then September 5 for any cabin or other changes. So I’d guess it will be not until sometime after then that there will be info out for any new booking opportunities that might be possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts